Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HP EFI On 3800 V6 Engine

Default HP EFI On 3800 V6 Engine

I'm wanting to use the HP EFI on a GM 3800 V6 Series 2 engine in a swap vehicle.

That engine has a 18x crank reluctor and 1x cam.
    Since it is a V6, do you think I can set the crank for 1 pulse/fire, and take off the extra 12 trigger teeth from the reluctor?

In my mind this will work, but I'm not sure in real life how it would work out.

18x (Teeth), V6 so if I remove two teeth, skip one, remove two and so on.
    That would leave me with 6 evenly spaced teeth to run 1 pulse/fire crank trigger,
    and keep the factory Hall-Effect sensor in the stock location.

Here's a picture of the reluctor wheel, it's part of the balancer. Opinions?

-Greg

Quote Originally Posted by radrace19 View Post
    18x (Teeth), V6 so if I remove two teeth, skip one, remove two and so on.
    That would leave me with 6 evenly spaced teeth to run 1 pulse/fire crank trigger,
    and keep the factory Hall-Effect sensor in the stock location.
    The evenly spaced teeth should work fine. However, be mindful of which teeth you leave on the trigger
    wheel, because you want an Ignition Reference Angle of 50°-60° BTDC. Read the link below for full details:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....m-Sensor-Setup (Crank & Cam Sensor Setup)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks, I was figuring it would work.
    Yes, I knew I would have to choose carefully which teeth to remove. Luckily used balancers are pretty cheap for testing.
    -Greg

Yes, I knew I would have to choose carefully which teeth to remove. Luckily used balancers are pretty cheap for testing.
    I wouldn't cut any teeth off until you mark the #1 tooth (50°-60° BTDC, Ignition Reference Angle).
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....m-Sensor-Setup (Crank & Cam Sensor Setup)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I wouldn't cut any teeth off until you mark the #1 tooth (50°-60° BTDC, Ignition Reference Angle).
    Danny, the #1 tooth on the balancer is at 70° BTDC. Will that still work?

Danny, the #1 tooth on the balancer is at 70° BTDC. Will that still work?
    Is that the leading edge (Digital Rising), or the trailing edge (Digital Falling) of the tooth? Digital Falling is highly preferred!
    I just thought of something. Don't you want three evenly spaced teeth (not six) for the 1 Pulse/Fire crank trigger type?
    http://www.msdignition.com/WorkArea/...id=15032386388 (MSD 8655 Universal Crank Trigger Kit - See Figure 1, Page 1)

I was thinking 6 teeth for 6 cylinders, but 3 teeth for 6 cylinders would be correct, I think. There is also a 3x reluctor on the balancer, so I'll have to check that one. I know that's what the MegaSquirt guys use with the stock coil module. I'll have to check if it's the rising or falling edge.

I was thinking 6 teeth for 6 cylinders, but 3 teeth for 6 cylinders would be correct, I think.
    Yes, it's a three tooth (3x) crank trigger for a six cylinder engine (1 Pulse/Fire type).
    Example: An eight cylinder engine uses a four tooth (4x) crank trigger (1 Pulse/Fire type).
    Example: An four cylinder engine uses a two tooth (2x) crank trigger (1 Pulse/Fire type).
    http://www.msdignition.com/WorkArea/...id=15032386388 (MSD 8655 Universal Crank Trigger Kit - See Figure 1, Page 1)

So buy using this drawing, would I be able to use the rising edge of the 3x reluctor teeth, since the rising edge is 120° apart?

Edit:
    Here is a System Log of the crank and cam signal
    Last edited by radrace19; 09-20-2017 at 09:39 AM.

So buy using this drawing, would I be able to use the falling edge of the 3x reluctor teeth, since the falling edge is 120° apart?
    Yes, according to the picture. It's a three tooth (3x) crank trigger for a six cylinder engine (1 Pulse/Fire type).

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast