Thread: Commander 950 in a sand rail with Northstar.

Default Commander 950 in a sand rail with Northstar.

Hi guys. I have an old Commander 950 in a sand rail, with a 1995-1996 Northstar Vin 9, L37, 300 HP out of a Deville, Eldorado, Seville. I have a stock engine harness integrated into the 950 harness using all stock plugs. I'm using all factory ignition. The only modification is open headers, big K&N & fuel pump. It was running fine, but during a wiring upgrade I lost some wires. I need a couple wires.
    1: I need the Tach signal wire.
    2: Also I put in a override on the fan, but then I realized after putting the override in it wouldn't kick the fans on at all. I figure I would need to put a diode in to circuit to stop the current back flow. But I think I want to go back to my factory setting and get rid or my manual fan switch. Can you let me know what wire runs the fan signal. Thanks, Virgil

Quote Originally Posted by hybridtoys View Post
    1: I need the Tach signal wire.
    The C950 doesn't have a tachometer wire, it's wired into the ignition system.
    How it's done, depends on if there's a CD ignition box or just a single coil.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10149-7.pdf (C950 Manual - Appendix 10, Wiring Diagrams)

2: Can you let me know what wire runs the fan signal.
    It's Output 2, ECU terminal C1. Here's the C950 cooling fan relay wiring LINK.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10149-7.pdf (C950 Manual - Input/Output, Page 81 & 82)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

There are 4 coils each with two plug wires, this is a waste-spark system. It's totally stock like it's sitting in the original car. The tach is a 5 inch Auto Meter and worked, but then stopped working. I assumed it was because if a connection issue, and during the rewire I couldn't seem to find the tach signal again. There is a red, or dark orange wire that seems to be it, and has a weak ground signal like it should, but the tach doesn't move while running. I picked up a new tach just to make sure it's not something simple like that. But any other insight would be great.

Also, I took the jump wire off the (yellow, with black tripe) going to the fan relay, but it doesn't seem to be sending a signal to turn on the fans to the relays. I have it wired to send +12V power to the relays. Does this sound correct?

I don't have the wire connection kit to hook it up to my computer to verify the on/off temps, any thoughts on how to verify?

Quote Originally Posted by hybridtoys View Post
    Also, I took the jump wire off the (yellow, with black tripe) going to the fan relay, but it doesn't seem to be sending a signal to turn on the fans to the relays. I have it wired to send +12V power to the relays. Does this sound correct?
    It's Output 2, ECU terminal C1. Here's the C950 cooling fan relay wiring LINK.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10149-7.pdf (C950 Manual - Input/Output, Page 81 & 82)
    Output 2 (ECU terminal C1) supplies a Ground signal to the cooling fan relay. Click & read the links!

I don't have the wire connection kit to hook it up to my computer to verify the on/off temps, any thoughts on how to verify?
    Stop what you're doing, and purchase the data communication cable: LINK. You will need it to program & tune the EFI system.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Everything else is fine, the only thing that didn't work was the tach. The fans kicked on when I got it, but I put in an override, and then they stopped working.
    The tach just kinda sputtered out, but it runs great otherwise.