Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed

Default Disappointed

Bought a lot of Earl's stuff winter 2011/2012 when I built my fuel system. I used carb inlet fittings from Earls 7/8"-20 to female -8AN with swivel, which no longer are available as a single part only in a fuel line kit? Yesterday, I started my car to check it up for the weekend race.
    Saw fuel leaking from the rear fitting on the carb. Thought it was loose or the gasket was bad. Replaced gasket and tightened the fitting, still was leaking. Saw that it was the swivel that leaked.
    Very disappointed that a 3 year old fitting has started to leak. I thought they should hold much longer than 3 years, and mostly sitting in the garage.
    Since I'm from Sweden, I saw two weeks of waiting for new fittings. I thought if a speed shop had any, they would be expensive. To my luck, I found a pair of XRP fittings that I ordered, and had them today before work. So installed them and no more leak.
    Did I say that I'm disappointed? But I caught the leak before a disaster happened.

Leaky Earls fittings:

New non leaking fittings from XRP:

All you have to do is clean the fitting.

There's dirt or something between the nut (with the roll pin) and the tube.

All fittings should be cleaned & stored in plastic bags, when not being used.
    Then recleaned before being used.

Also, all hoses should be capped off, so no bugs & dirt get inside.
    They should be stored in plastic bags, and cleaned before being used.

It started to leak while it was installed. Haven't touched them since I installed them. It's the swivel in the carb end. Don't see how dirt can start a leak on that swivel? 100 micron before pump, and 40 micron after. Carb is clean like an operation table.
    Last edited by Malibu ss 64; 05-06-2015 at 04:39 PM.

It didn't leak due to installation or contamination. What's the Earl's part number, and what type of fuel is used?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

It's no longer available, so I can't find the part number. I'm using regular pump gas.

I believe it's same as this fitting, except mine was -8AN, and this is -6AN:
    http://m.summitracing.com/parts/ear-at915393lerl
    I think they are available in the carb feed line kits?

I believe there's some kind of seal inside the swivel that started to leak.
    Last edited by Malibu ss 64; 05-06-2015 at 05:15 PM.

There should be 2 o-rings inside.
    They act like gaskets, and once they get smashed (used) they hold there smashed shape.

I bought a Chevy Vega that had the same leaking fittings all over the car.
    I needed to move the car, so I soaked the fittings that were leaking in WD40 for 24 hours.
    This worked so I could move the car.

When you use fittings with o rings as seals,
    you must not tighten them too much. 1/4 turn past finger tight is about right for most.
    Also, the most important part about installing them (this is what made them leak on my Vega),
    you must support the hose they are fitted to. If the hose/pipe can move around, it will move the o-ring around, and leak.

I don't understand why they have a swivel in the carb end? It's just to mount at the carb first. I don't see how hard you tighten them has anything to do with how the swivel seals, since the swivel is between the two nuts?
    Anyway fixed the problem changed them to new non-leaking fittings. Just disappointed that almost new fittings of a supposed quality brand started to leak.

The swivel is so you can take the carb off, but leave the fuel lines on the engine.

Also, in the old days, like 1980, there used to be a filter right behind the fitting.
    Now we put the filter on the outside of the carbs.

The fittings are not forged steel.
    They are soft aluminum. It's very easy to crack/split a female nut, if you over tighten it.

Yes, I understand that, but don't really see the use of it, since you usually loosen the AN nut since it's easier. No cracks or overtightening it has a gasket against the fuel bowl and is a male nut just a bad product IMHO. As always, the customer get the blame. Used lot of other swivel fittings from others and never a leak.
    This failure could have started a nice under hood fire. Airplane quality, bla bla. Give me an address and I can send these pieces of junk back to you, and use on your car if you like fires.

Here's where it leaked:

I don't like male swivel connections.
    It needs a seal that can move, and that's it's weak spot.

All the other fittings that are like that one, Summit's & Aeroquip's only have a swivel nut.
    They must have learned from a mistake. Sorry the fitting did not work out you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast