Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barely starts and won't idle, FIRST START UP.

Default Barely starts and won't idle, FIRST START UP.

Hi everybody. I got a slight problem (hopefully) with my initial startup. Here's the run down on the car:
    LQ9 stock short block
    LS3 heads
    LS3 intake
    LS3 injectors/rails
    GM 6.0/6.2 head gaskets
    BTR stage 4 LS3 cam
    BTR push rods
    BTR dual valve springs
    1 7/8" headers
    Bullet mufflers
    Holley HP EFI V2.
    TH400

Here's my issue:
    Car starts only when I'm blipping the throttle and only stays on if I blip the throttle. If I give it any
    more then a blip of throttle it bogs out and shuts off. If I give it no throttle it completely dies also.

CTS reads fine
    MAP = 95-100 kPa on startup
    OIL psi = around 50-60 psi
    FUEL psi= 56-60 psi
    TPS= all set and shows proper %
    AFR = 30+? Not sure what's going on with this one. It shows heating then goes to 30 and stays there.
    IAC = 40% Even with engine off and ignition just turned on.

What does everybody recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by 1320king View Post
    Car starts only when I'm blipping the throttle and only stays on if I blip the throttle. If I give it any more then a blip of throttle it bogs out and shuts off. If I give it no throttle it completely dies also.
    This is a naturally aspirated engine? Which base calibration did you start with?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This! (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read This!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Base calibration was the 480 LS2, then changed the fuel injectors to the LS3 type, and changed the sensor selection from 58x to 24x. Other then that, I left it on the base LS2 settings. It is a N/A motor, but I'm adding nitrous down the road.

MAP = 95-100 kPa on startup.
    This is a common occurrence when an engine isn't idling properly (MAP kPa too high).
    The Base Fuel Table needs to be adjusted, if the engine won't run long enough to enter Learn mode.

IAC = 40% Even with engine off and ignition just turned on.
    That's the IAC Parked Position %. Are the throttle blades open enough to idle the engine?
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

You know what, I'm not sure on the throttle blade! It's a brand new 92 mm unit, and I never adjusted it. As far as the kPa, as soon as I turn the ignition on, it goes to that kPa before I try to crank it over or anything. Should I add or remove fuel?

You know what, I'm not sure on the throttle blade! It's a brand new 92 mm unit, and I never adjusted it.
    Open the throttle blades a little more (idle speed screw), and perform a TPS AutoSet.

As far as the kPa, as soon as I turn the ignition on, it goes to that kPa before I try to crank it over or anything.
    Yes, it's supposed to be that high, key-on/engine-off. I thought you meant that's where it's idling.

Should I add or remove fuel?
    You're asking me? Look at the A/F Ratio when the engine is running (Data Monitor). Is it too lean or too rich?

The AFR only shows 30 AFR when it's starting & stumbling along. I'm going to take a datalog of it trying to start, and post it up. Thanks for all the help so far Danny!

The AFR only shows 30 AFR when it's starting & stumbling along.
    First try opening the throttle blades a little more (idle speed screw), and perform a TPS AutoSet.
    The Base Fuel Table may need to be adjusted, if the engine won't run long enough to enter Learn mode.

Ensure there are no exhaust leaks upstream of the wideband O2 sensor(s) to prevent a false lean condition.
    Ensure sufficient length of exhaust piping beyond WBO2 sensor(s) to prevent a false lean condition at idle & low RPM.

Got it Danny. Going to try it tonight see what happens. BTW, just realized your from Connecticut. I'm in Norwalk, CT and work in Westport. How far away is Ellington, CT?

BTW, just realized your from Connecticut. I'm in Norwalk, CT and work in Westport. How far away is Ellington, CT?
    It's clear across the state: http://geology.com/cities-map/connecticut.shtml

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast