Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing off?

Quote Originally Posted by CFster View Post
    The sensor is mounted on the passenger side.
    OK, then your statement in post #7 is correct.
    Are your Custom Ignition Parameters correct?

Holley DIS Custom Ignition Parameters:
    Ignition Type ........ ― "Custom"
    Crank Sensor Type ― "60-2"
    Sensor Type ........ ― "Digital Falling"
    Inductive Delay .... ― "adjusted per application" (← Synchronization info.)
    Timing Offset ....... ― "0°"
    TDC Tooth Number ― "9, 10, 11 or 12"
    Cam Sensor Type . ― "Single Pulse" (← If sequentially injected.)
    Sensor Type ........ ― "Digital Falling" (← If sequentially injected.)
    Output Setup Type ― "DIS Waste Fire"
    Dwell Time .......... ― "1.8 msec" (early coils) "2.4 msec" (late coils)

Is it just a coincidence that since we have it on the 10th tooth it's reading 50° with the light?
    Yes, if it's right. You stated 11th tooth before, now it's the 10th tooth.

How could we have it set to the 11th tooth after TDC and have it be so far off?
    I still think you have the 10th or 11th tooth after the two missing teeth aligned wrong.
    With the #1 cylinder at TDC, the 9th-12th tooth after the two missing teeth (in direction
    of engine rotation), needs to align with the crank sensor (not the TDC mark on damper).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I still think you have the 10th or 11th tooth after the two missing teeth aligned wrong.
    With the #1 cylinder at TDC, the 9th-12th tooth after the two missing teeth (in direction
    of engine rotation), needs to align with the crank sensor (not the TDC mark on damper).
    Yes. We have the TDC mark (0 degrees) on the damper, lined up with the 0 degrees mark on the timing pointer (not 180 out). We then positioned the trigger wheel so the crank sensor is pointing at the 10th or 11th tooth, after the two missing teeth (to the LEFT of the two missing teeth). Then the wheel and pulley was tightened down.

Yes. We have the TDC mark (0 degrees) on the damper, lined up with the 0 degrees mark on the timing pointer (not 180 out). We then positioned the trigger wheel so the crank sensor is pointing at the 10th or 11th tooth, after the two missing teeth (to the LEFT of the two missing teeth).
    I don't know what's wrong. Your Timing Table is 25° at idle, but you're seeing 50° with the timing light.
    Either the timing light is wrong, or something with the crank sensor/trigger wheel assembly is off 25°.
    Have you tried adjusting the "Timing Offset" (in Custom Ignition Parameters) 25° to synchronize it?
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

The Timing Offset has that much adjustment in it? I'll give it a try, though that seems like masking the problem. A positive number in that box retards the reading?

The Timing Offset has that much adjustment in it?
    Yes.

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    ‒ Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)

I'll give it a try, though that seems like masking the problem.
    I know...but if it works, it corroborates my thought that something is off 25°.

A positive number in that box retards the reading?
    I think you want a negative number. You'll soon find out.
    I adjusted the crank sensor/trigger wheel to keep the Timing Offset at 0°.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I don't know what's wrong. Your Timing Table is 25° at idle, but you're seeing 50° with the timing light.
    Either the timing light is wrong, or something with the crank sensor/trigger wheel assembly is off 25°.
    I think I know what's wrong. Your timing light may not be compatible with waste-spark DIS. It's reading exactly double the actual
    amount of timing advance. You need a timing light with a "2-Stroke/Waste-Spark DIS" mode. I should've thought of this earlier.
    https://actron.com/sites/default/fil...lish_16313.pdf (Actron CP7529 Digital Timing Light Instructions - Read Page 9)

Have you tried another timing light? I use a digital Actron CP7529 timing light. It's bright, works great and it's available at most local auto
    parts stores. (Ensure the dial back-to-zero function is zeroed, or it will display advanced/retarded timing.) I also use Holley's Waste-Spark DIS.

Ahhh...we'll try another timing light and let you know!

Oh man, that was it! I knew it had to be something like this - getting a false reading. It just runs too good. Thanks Danny!

You're welcome. I wish I realized it sooner, but sometimes when you're not there to experience the problem firsthand, the "fix" isn't as quick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12