Thread: Clogged Billet Fuel Filters

Default Clogged Billet Fuel Filters

I have a question regarding whether a 162-550 10 micron fuel filter is cleanable? Had a billet pump go bad, and Holley replaced it, but not the filter. There was a lot of black stuff that came out of the filter. Was also concerned if I should be concerned about the injectors? Any advice would be appreciated.

New install of a Terminator EFI in a '68 Chevelle with 496 BBC. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dsrath496 View Post
    I have a question regarding whether a 162-550 10 micron fuel filter is cleanable?
    The 10 micron fuel filters have a paper media filter element, which aren't cleanable. Replacement filter elements are available.
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...lters/filters/
    (Select "Filter Elements")

Was also concerned if I should be concerned about the injectors? Any advice would be appreciated.
    If it didn't puncture the filter element, the fuel injectors should be fine.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by dsrath496 View Post
    I have a question regarding whether a 162-550 10 micron fuel filter is cleanable? Had a billet pump go bad, and Holley replaced it, but not the filter. There was a lot of black stuff that came out of the filter. Was also concerned if I should be concerned about the injectors? Any advice would be appreciated.

New install of a Terminator EFI in a '68 Chevelle with 496 BBC. Thanks.
    It sounds like your filter has caught all of the dirt that would cause problems with an injector.

But also remember, some of that dirt may have been from more than just the failed pump.
    There's a lot of dirt in pump gas...especially in E85 out of the pump.
    (E85 corrodes a lot of stuff, which ends up floating in the fuel, and then
    ends up in your tank, and in your system, causing even more corrosion.)

If you look at your tuneup and you see one side leaner than the other, or if you suddenly notice one side is rich and one side is lean, or one cylinder is considerably leaner (when looking at plugs), or if suddenly your fuel system is adding a lot of fuel in the Learn Table, then I might be concerned.

But as long as everything still looks fine on the tuneup, you should be OK.

If you want to be preventative, do a full system flush and clean everything out really good.
    Then send your injectors to somebody to have them cleaned/tested and flowed (we do that at the shop I work at).

Also, if you have a fuel cell with foam in it, I HIGHLY recommend removing the foam.
    It will break down and it will clog up filters and injectors in a hurry.
    (I have a friend who found out the hard way with some burnt pistons from going lean at high boost because of clogged injectors.)

If after removing foam you are worried about fuel slosh, there are many methods
    to solve that issue, including making your own baffles out of PVC pipe.
    I have cut tubes that will fit into the opening of your fuel cell.
    Make a several notches on the bottoms for fuel to be able to pass.
    Make them long enough, that they just barely fit standing up.
    Line them all up filling all the space. (Fuel senders are usually boxed in
    internally so you don't have to worry about hitting it with the tubes.)

-Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    If after removing foam you are worried about fuel slosh, there are many methods
    to solve that issue, including making your own baffles out of PVC pipe.
    I have cut tubes that will fit into the opening of your fuel cell.
    Make a several notches on the bottoms for fuel to be able to pass.
    Make them long enough, that they just barely fit standing up.
    Line them all up filling all the space. (Fuel senders are usually boxed in
    internally so you don't have to worry about hitting it with the tubes.)
    S2H, I like that idea. Keep us informed on how well that works.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Always put what ever material you are going to use in a glass container with your fuel of choice, and let it sit for a week or two.

Fun Fact: Due to the fact all the brake cleaning stuff is junk now.
    I use gasoline as a cleaner. I cut the top off a plastic 3 gallon gasoline container.
    So I have a "gasoline proof" parts cleaner ;-)

What I'm saying is, use some old plastic gas containers as splash shields.
    They could be folded in the hole, and bolted with stainless steel.
    I would use lock nuts without the plastic insert.

Quote Originally Posted by BITE_ME View Post
    Always put what ever material you are going to use in a glass container with your fuel of choice, and let it sit for a week or two.

Fun Fact: Due to the fact all the brake cleaning stuff is junk now.
    I use gasoline as a cleaner. I cut the top off a plastic 3 gallon gasoline container.
    So I have a "gasoline proof" parts cleaner ;-)

What I'm saying is, use some old plastic gas containers as splash shields.
    They could be folded in the hole, and bolted with stainless steel.
    I would use lock nuts without the plastic insert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    S2H, I like that idea. Keep us informed on how well that works.
    It's PVC. It works AWESOME.
    And it doesn't corrode or melt or dissolve in Gasoline/C16/Q16/E85/Methanol.
    I've been using mine like this for over a year on Gasoline & C16.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

The testing in the glass container, was directed for people who use foam.
    The foam is easy to put in, but it should always be tested before you install it.
    It's just good insurance.