Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 81 Malibu SBC HEI Upgrade

Default 81 Malibu SBC HEI Upgrade

Hi, I have an 1981 Malibu with a SBC. Right now, I have an HEI distributor from eBay.
    I see people going HEI and also going with the GM small cap distributor.

I'm looking for part number, so I'll buy the right parts. Here's what I have:
    A1 Cardone 84-1830 Distributor
    Holley 558-304 Ignition Adapter

And could someone recommend a coil to me. Is that all I need to replace the
    HEI system I have, so I can have the Terminator control the timing? Thanks.

Also, do I need a Holley 554-120 MAP sensor, or does the regulator that came with the Holley fuel kit take care of that?

Quote Originally Posted by frost1085 View Post
    And could someone recommend a coil to me. Is that all I need to replace the HEI system I have, so I can have the Terminator control the timing?
    Will you also be using an MSD CD ignition box with that GM distributor?
    See figure 23 & 24, on page 17 of the Terminator EFI Manual (Link).

Also, do I need a Holley 554-120 MAP sensor...
    No, the Terminator throttle body is equipped with a MAP sensor.
    You really need to stop & read the Terminator EFI Manual (Link).

...or does the regulator that came with the Holley fuel kit take care of that?
    The fuel pressure regulator has nothing to do with the MAP sensor.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Thanks for the reply; and no CD box, unless you recommend it.

Thanks for the reply; and no CD box, unless you recommend it.
    Actually, I now always recommend a CD ignition box (LINK) with a distributor. They're well built, reliable (especially the digital models), and the greater spark energy is beneficial for starting, smooth idling, lean cruise & possible rich WOT conditions. Meaning sometimes the "tune" isn't always perfect, and these things are never really a disadvantage. The MSD 6201/62013 Digital 6A CDI box & their 8253 HVC-2 coil are a great match. Also, the CDI box fires the coil and takes the load off of the ignition module. (The ignition module just triggers the CDI box.) Conversely, multiple coil ignitions systems (DIS, CNP, COP, etc.) don't use CD ignition boxes.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

OK, cool. Thanks for the help, really appreciated. Also, I can't find the white wire in the manual. The one in the loose wires that also has the green fuel pump wire.

Also, I can't find the white wire in the manual.
    The GM small cap HEI distributor/CD ignition box application, doesn't use the Holley "Points Output" loose white wire.
    Again, see figure 24, on page 17 of the Terminator EFI Manual (Link). Stop & read the Terminator EFI Manual (LINK).

The one [white wire] in the loose wires that also has the green fuel pump wire.
    It doesn't exist in the Terminator EFI main wire harness. It must be added for other CDI box applications.
    The earlier Terminator EFI wiring harnesses didn't have the "Points Output" loose white wire. It does now.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....7434#post77434 (Easy Loose White Wire Substitution)

OK thanks. Almost ready for the Holley fuel system.

Is this the correct distributor, A1 Cardone 84-1830:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/191421595035
    Last edited by frost1085; 03-25-2015 at 01:31 PM.

Is this the correct distributor, A1 Cardone 84-1830:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/191421595035
    Yes, that's the GM small cap HEI computer controlled distributor that most Chevy owners use.
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/558-304 (Holley 558-304 GM HEI Ignition Adapter)
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10653rev10.pdf (Terminator EFI Manual - Pages 12 & 13)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Yes, that's the GM small cap HEI computer controlled distributor that most Chevy owners use.
    OK, thanks. Can I use the stock type coil like this one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/330801351214

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast