Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I keep losing TACH signal.

MSD Tech Support said I need to install the MSD Tach Adapter (PN8920).
    From MSD: "If you are using the magnetic pickup input (green & violet wires) to trigger your MSD Ignition, you will need the #121-8920 Tach Adapter.
    This will correct the operation of most voltage triggered tachometers, that do not work directly off the tach output terminal of the MSD CD ignition".

Quote Originally Posted by Dan LeBlanc View Post
    MSD Tech Support said I need to install the MSD Tach Adapter (PN8920).
    From MSD: "If you are using the magnetic pickup input (green & violet wires) to trigger your MSD Ignition, you will need the #121-8920 Tach Adapter.
    This will correct the operation of most voltage triggered tachometers, that do not work directly off the tach output terminal of the MSD CD ignition".
    That's interesting...I've haven't heard that among Terminator users. I hope it solves your problem.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I'm going to try the new magnetic pickup first, and see if that solves the problem.
    If it doesn't, then I will try the tach adapter.
    I'll post my results for you and the other readers.

Thanks for all your help. This forum has been very helpful!

I'm going to try the new magnetic pickup first, and see if that solves the problem.
    If it doesn't, then I will try the tach adapter.
    I'll post my results for you and the other readers.
    Thanks. That will be very informative for everyone reading this.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I installed the new magnetic pickup in the distributor this past weekend and the truck fired right up. I did not have a chance to take it out on the road, but it idled well for 10 minutes or so, with no problems. If all goes well, I can get it out on the road in the next week or two, and really test it out.

On a side note, I doubt that I had 100 miles of driving on this new MSD distributor. I hope this was just 1 in a million that was bad. It would not be a reliable driver, if these magnetic pickups randomly go bad every few months.

I installed the new magnetic pickup in the distributor this past weekend and the truck fired right up. I did not have a chance to take it out on the road, but it idled well for 10 minutes or so, with no problems. If all goes well, I can get it out on the road in the next week or two, and really test it out.
    As I suspected in post #10, it wouldn't surprise me if the magnetic pickup is the problem (given your symptoms).

On a side note, I doubt that I had 100 miles of driving on this new MSD distributor. I hope this was just 1 in a million that was bad. It would not be a reliable driver, if these magnetic pickups randomly go bad every few months.
    I wouldn't be too concerned about that; those magnetic pickups are very reliable/durable. They do not have a high failure rate.

It happened again. After installing the new magnetic pickup, the truck ran great. I made one 12 mile trip and it ran great. Drove it about 3 miles the next day to a neighbors house, still running good. On the way home it died. Just like before, no missing or sputtering, it just died. I still have a tach signal and good fuel pressure, but it won't fire. By the sound of the engine when it cranks it sounds like it's not getting any ignition fire.

I don't know if I should get the MSD adapter, or just scrap all the MSD ignition parts (distributor, CD box & coil), and go with a new distributor and let the Terminator control the timing.

...or just scrap all the MSD ignition parts (distributor, CD box & coil), and go with a new distributor and let the Terminator control the timing.
    YES! Non-ECU controlled timing is half an EFI system. The Timing Tables in the
    base calibrations will be far better than any centrifugal/vacuum advance curve.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....-only-at-first (Related Forum Thread)

If I go with the AutoLine D4093, I'll need the Holley 558-305 ignition harness. Do I need any other parts/pieces?

If I go with the Davis Unified Ignition (DUI) 18461RD (Red), I'll need the 558-305 harness. Do I also need a remote mounted TFI module?

If I go with the AutoLine D4093, I'll need the Holley 558-305 ignition harness. Do I need any other parts/pieces?
    Yes, a genuine Ford Motorcraft TFI ignition module (Link).
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....0622#post50622 (Additional Information)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....tial-Injection (Additional Information)

If I go with the Davis Unified Ignition (DUI) 18461RD (Red), I'll need the 558-305 harness. Do I also need a remote mounted TFI module?
    Yes, because the Ford 460 Davis Unified Ignition TFI distributor doesn't have the TFI module mounted on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12