Thread: First Start, Dominator EFI, Turbo LSx

Default First Start, Dominator EFI, Turbo LSx

I just fired up my 6.0L turbo LS for the first time with the Holey Dominator EFI.
    I'm using DBW, and I started with the custom calibration "Turbo LSx 364ci 850 HP 20 PSI DBW 4L80E WM".
    I tweaked some of the parameters to fit my setup better - eliminate Transmission & W/M ICFs, and
    made sure the correct 120 lb injectors I'm running are selected in the tune, among other minor tweaks that made sense.
    My issue is that the thing idles BAD, basically it won't hold an idle at all & stalls. I need to learn how to tune the idle area.
    If this was a carb I would have NO PROBLEMS getting it running perfect, LOL.
    Can someone point me to some good reading on how to tackle this? Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by 3pedals View Post
    Can someone point me to some good reading on how to tackle this?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This! (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read This!)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....e-Tuning-Notes (EFI Idle Tuning Notes)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I may have already found my problem, but I'm unable to try anything today. I have the DBW 'throttle vs pedal' table set to start at 0% throttle/0%pedal with a straight 45° line up to 100% throttle/pedal. I just read this:

Quote Originally Posted by Doug F
    Here is the way it works, it can be a little confusing, but it's not really. I just make it sound that way. Needless to say there is no "IAC motor". What we did was create a method where the user can use the same idle parameters for a cable throttle body, or a DBW. Actually ended up working out well.

On the TPS vs pedal, the left most value for the TPS is basically your "stop position", like a setscrew on a mechanical throttle body. You increase that value until the engine reaches target idle speed, same as you would with a mechanical TB.

The TPS % from 0-100% (fully seated to fully open) is the actual fuel mechanical travel from fully open to fully closed when you do a TPS AutoSet. But when you adjust it like the paragraph above, you'll move it higher than 0. So say it is 5% (again, same as adjusting a throttle plate on mechanical TB). So then the ECU considers 5-15% TPS your "IAC area" (0-10% TPS movement above this value). It is allowed to move the DBW valve from 5-15% in this case to adjust idle, which is used as 0-100% IAC travel. So using this example, if the IAC is at "50%", the TPS would be at 5 + 10% (TPS percentage) *.5 (50% IAC opening) = 10% TPS (resultant TPS).

So when you set the left value in the TPS vs Pedal, you want to increase that left value until the IAC setting is about 5-10% hot idle in neutral, same as you would with a mechanical throttle body moving the set screw. Clear as mud?
    Does this mean I need to start my throttle vs pedal up above 0? Seems I need to start around 5-6% throttle at 0% pedal?

Quote Originally Posted by 3pedals View Post
    Does this mean I need to start my throttle vs pedal up above 0? Seems I need to start around 5-6% throttle at 0% pedal?
    I'm not well versed with Drive-By-Wire, but isn't this how the base calibrations are setup? Try it both ways and see. (Of course, don't drive the vehicle until it's right.)

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    ‒ Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev16.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Yes, the base calibration I started with, had the throttle/pedal table starting at 11.6% throttle vs 0% pedal.
    Of course, I changed that to the straight 45° line starting at 0%/0% thinking I was fixing something ridiculous.
    I will go back and copy the original throttle/pedal graph. Thanks.
    I mistakenly believed the 'Target Idle Speed' in Idle settings would automatically move the DBW throttle to find my Target Idle Speed RPM.
    Last edited by 3pedals; 02-15-2015 at 04:27 PM.

Bringing this back from the dead. I notice that you have a desired percentage for the idle when hot. On a cold start, do I continue to bring my throttle percentage up until I can get it to idle long enough to hit Learning status? And when it does hit operational temperature, will the ECU lock that percentage in or do I do another TPS Autoset when hot?

Learning isn't TPS based unless you've programmed it as such. No, more TPS Autosets aren't required.
    Closed Loop & Learning happens at all RPM, provided the Closed Loop/Learn Parameters are programmed as such.
    The Coolant Temperature Enrichment % & A/F Ratio Offset tables must be at 100% & zero to enter Learn mode.
    You'll need to reconfigure these tables if you're running the engine colder than what the base calibration specifies.