Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16249939 MAP Sensor

Default 16249939 MAP Sensor

Gents. Well I have a new install and a first time using the Holley HP system. I'm running into some issues.
    It's a 5.3L ls with a 75 mm Borg Warner
    LS9 cam
    stock compression
    700R4 tranny
    120 lb/hr Holley injectors

The MAP sensor I have installed is a GM 16249939 MAP, that I was told is a 3.3.
    Can I use this with the HP? If so, what calibration should I use?
    As well, what base calibration should I use for a with this engine?
    I started up the engine using the 330CUin 40 psi calibration and the engine has issues catching.
    It comes to life for a split second then dies. I'm thinking the MAP sensor is a place to start.

Thanks for your help.

You can use any 0-5V MAP sensor.
    But if it's not in the drop down menu, you would have to select a custom 4 bar setting (since it's above 3 bar you would have to choose a custom 4 bar setting), and manually input the data for it.

For the data for it, you would need to find it on the internet somewhere, or get the data from the manufacturer spec sheet for that sensor.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

I looked around and I only found a chart with 2 values on it, so I would have to assume a liner line.

If I don't have this setup correctly, would it cause an issue with hard/no starting?

Quote Originally Posted by Luckynumberslevin327 View Post
    If I don't have this setup correctly, would it cause an issue with hard/no starting?
    Yes. Remember, the base calibration you start with, must correspond to the MAP sensor you're using:
    For example, you can't use a naturally aspirated base calibration for a forced induction engine.
    This is because the 2,3,5 bar MAP sensor selection only changes the kPa load Y-axis, but not the Base Fuel Table lb/hr
    values (creating an excessively lean map) or the Base Timing Table degree values (excessively advanced timing map).
    You must choose a 2,3,5 bar base calibration or reconfigure your existing Global Folder's Fuel & Timing Tables accordingly.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This! (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read This!)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....6785#post26785 (Sensor Calibration Data Entry)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Alright that does make a bunch of sense. I have a GM 2 bar MAP sensor that I'm going to install. Can I then select Holley 2 bar MAP?

You can't select a base calibration that has a DIFFERENT BAR MAP SENSOR default value, and then just change that setting.

For example, you can't use a naturally aspirated base calibration for a forced induction engine.
    This is because the 2,3,5 bar MAP sensor selection only changes the kPa load Y-axis, but not the Base Fuel Table lb/hr
    values (creating an excessively lean map) or the Base Timing Table degree values (excessively advanced timing map).

If you are going to use one of Holley's base calibrations to start with you HAVE to use a calibration that MATCHES your MAP sensor.

If you need help with selecting either a custom base or default base calibration, post all of your ignition, cam, heads, exhaust, intake specs etc., and Danny will point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by 69cam; 01-26-2015 at 10:12 AM.

OK, that does make sense. You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge in this department. The current base calibration that I was using, was the 330 cu in 40 psi tune. Then I just changed the MAP sensor in the drop down. which if I understand, is not correct.

Here's my setup:
    5.3L LSx gen 3
    individual coil pack ignition
    LS9 camshaft 211°/230° @.050 122.5° LSA
    Stock 862 heads 916 comp cam springs
    Stock cast manifolds
    stock truck intake
    76mm Borg warner turbo T4 exhaust
    Cable throttle body
    700r4 transmission
    Will want to control electric fan as well as use boost builder function.
    MAP sensor is the GM 2 bar, may upgrade to 3 bar if I start to exceed boost limit.

MAP sensor is the GM 2 bar, may upgrade to 3 bar if I start to exceed its boost limit.
    If you start the with 2 bar and then decide to go to a 3 bar, you will have to pretty much start all over again with your fuel & timing tables.
    I guess you could put in the values from the existing table engine RPM and kPa to the matching new table. That would be tedious, but could be done.

OK well, good to know. I'll order a 3 bar MAP. So I suppose I'll change the above to 3 bar and not 2.

Quote Originally Posted by 69cam View Post
    If you start the with 2 bar and then decide to go to a 3 bar, you will have to pretty much start all over again with your fuel & timing tables.
    I agree with 69cam. Use the 3 bar MAP sensor now, if that's what you'll eventually need.

I guess you could put in the values from the existing table engine RPM and kPa to the matching new table. That would be tedious, but could be done.
    I agree again. Yes, it can be done, but why bother?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2901#post52901 (Read last paragraph of post #2.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast