X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whplsh
    • Jan 2015

Dual Pump Question

I've been looking at the dual inlet dual pumps PART# 12-1600-2 and I'm wondering if each pump can run independently? Can I have one inlet being fed pump gas and the other fed race gas? Essentially being able to switch between the two with a flip of a switch without any back feeding issues? My intent is to run the engine on pump gas and have a separate tank to feed race gas when I use my dry nitrous system. I would run a ball valve on the return so the fuel goes back to the corresponding tank. Small amounts of cross contamination of the fuels doesn't really bother me.
  • S2H
    • Nov 2013

The two pumps are in the same housing, they are combined together, not separate.
    So you would have to run 2 tanks, and 2 feed and return lines to ball valves, and manually switch between the two fuels, or you would have to drain the tank and swap fuels that way.

We do the ball valve thing on my bosses car...it works well, but you do have to be aware that they do leak a little bit sometimes, and you get a slight blend of the two fuels over time.
    It's not too big of a deal as you usually have a much smaller tank for the race gas, and you usually use it up much faster. So you really only get regular gas that gets a little race gas in it from time to time...LOL!
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Comment

• whplsh
      • Jan 2015

That's the idea I have is to run two separate tanks. One pump and one race gas. I looked at the pump inlet and the pumps are separated and sealed on the inlet side. My main question is will they back feed to the opposite pump when it's not "on"? If I can share the same feed out of the pump, then I can omit the ball valve on the feed and have one feed line, but have the ball on the return to split the tanks. Some race gas in the pump tank isn't an issue. I really want to run the nitrous dry, and be able to control it with the Holley without going to two completely separate fuel systems. I could just run a wet kit with a stand-alone if that's the case. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

• S2H
        • Nov 2013

Again...they are not sealed & separated. It only looks that way from the inlet hole.

You will need two systems with two ball valves.
        -Scott
        Low 8 Second Street Car

Comment

• whplsh
          • Jan 2015

OK. Kind of a bummer, but easy enough to just buy two pumps and two ball valves.

If you don't mind, how/where are the ball valves located/mounted?

Comment

• S2H
            • Nov 2013

Mount them anywhere you can find space, but preferably closer to the rails so you don't have too much of the other blend left in the system when you swap back & forth.

It really gets kind of complicated and cluttered to be honest, but it is doable.
            -Scott
            Low 8 Second Street Car

Comment

Working...
            X