Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tuning MY Avenger Setup (Specific To My Vehicle)

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Yes. (I wasn't sure if you were ready to run the engine yet.)
    I've been putting 10-20 miles every other day on it to "Learn".

Is the ignition timing fully synchronized? At idle and at higher RPM (Inductive Delay)?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ing-Holley-EFI (Ignition Timing Synchronization)
    Need to hook up my laptop to do this...I think.
    Assuming my FW is old, how should I go about choosing SW version etc, or should I just jump straight to V2?

You'll most likely need to increase the idle timing (from 10°) to 20°. What size camshaft?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....e-Tuning-Notes (EFI Idle Tuning Notes)
    Cam is listed in my signature: 214°/224° @ 0.050 (260/270 advertised) under .500" lift, 112° LSA - there is a fair amount of overlap
    I'm reading through the link above (Idle Tuning Notes) as I write this.
    FWIW, during the initial Wizard I chose Mild Street, but my cam is right on the line @ 214/224.
    I'm now wondering if my Base Fuel Table and timing profile are too low because of this.
    I don't have too much invested in the tuning, should I re-run the Wizard and choose Street Strip for camshaft type?

It's OK if the IAC Position creeps up to 4% when thoroughly heat soaked.
    OK.
    FWIW, it took about 1.5-2 turns clockwise to get the IAC from the factory position (which was 30%+).
    Funny how the Idle Adjust Screw is not shown in any diagram in the manual... or did I miss that page?
    Last edited by octanejunkie; 12-29-2014 at 10:02 AM.

'59 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup 3" lift (1" body all around, 2" rear suspension) & dual sway bars
    357ci SBC, Vortec heads, 214°/224° @ 0.050 cam/under .050" lift/112° LSA & roller rockers
    2.5" ram horn manifolds, dual 2.25" pipes, H-pipe behind trans, 14" Flowmaster mufflers
    Power steering, tilt column, power disc brakes up front, A/C (Vintage Air kit pending)
    700R4 transmission, 2200 stall, 3.42 limited-slip rear end & 31.5" tires

Quote Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
    Assuming my FW is old, how should I go about choosing SW version etc, or should I just jump straight to V2?
    Use the latest software & firmware versions.

Software & Firmware Versions:
    Software: click "Help" tab (top toolbar) & "About Holley EFI".
    Firmware: click "Sync With ECU" & "Get ECU Info" (Key-on/USB connected).
    The latest software & firmware can be downloaded here:
    https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection (Holley EFI Technical Library)
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...9r10546rev.pdf (HP & Dominator Quick Start Guide)
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...g_firmware.pdf (How To Update ECU Firmware)
    Before updating firmware, ensure the current Global Folder is saved somewhere, since it will be erased from the ECU.

Latest V2 EFI Software & ECU Firmware:
    The latest V2 software can be downloaded here: https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection
    Read the "199R10632rev5" PDF document for a "V2 Software Update Overview" (in "Holley EFI V2 Instructions").
    Be sure to successfully install the new V2 software, before installing the ECU firmware (read "V2 Update Instructions").
    Ensure the Holley EFI software is not open and the ECU is not powered on/connected when installing the new software.

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    ‒ Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev16.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

3. Default

Thanks for that, Danny. I'll get this setup today!

In the meantime, during the initial Wizard, I chose Mild Street, but my cam is right on the line @ 214/224.
    I'm wondering if my Base Fuel Table and timing profile are too low because of this.
    I don't have too much invested in the tuning. Should I re-run the Wizard and choose Street Strip for camshaft type?

'59 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup 3" lift (1" body all around, 2" rear suspension) & dual sway bars
    357ci SBC, Vortec heads, 214°/224° @ 0.050 cam/under .050" lift/112° LSA & roller rockers
    2.5" ram horn manifolds, dual 2.25" pipes, H-pipe behind trans, 14" Flowmaster mufflers
    Power steering, tilt column, power disc brakes up front, A/C (Vintage Air kit pending)

In the meantime, during the initial Wizard, I chose Mild Street, but my cam is right on the line @ 214/224.
    I'm wondering if my Base Fuel Table and timing profile are too low because of this.
    I don't have too much invested in the tuning. Should I re-run the Wizard and choose Street Strip for camshaft type?
    Try it and see.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

5. Default

Use the latest software & firmware versions.
    I've downloaded and installed V2 software on my laptop. Is it "safe" to connect to the ECU and pull down the current configuration as a new Global Folder before flashing the ECU firmware?

Should I re-run the Wizard and choose Street Strip for camshaft type?
    Try it and see.
    I'll Save As where I'm now and re-run the Wizard. I can always reload the old file, no?

I've downloaded and installed V2 software on my laptop. Is it "safe" to connect to the ECU and pull down the current configuration as a new Global Folder before flashing the ECU firmware?
    Yes, if you had an earlier compatible V2 version before.

I'll Save As where I'm now and re-run the Wizard. I can always reload the old file, no?
    Yes, if it's saved on your laptop computer.

"Get From ECU" & "Send To ECU" - ECU Sync window:
    When you connect a laptop and go "Online" with the ECU, you first want to click "Get From ECU". This updates your laptop with the latest ECU "state of tune". If you click "Send To ECU", you overwrite all the Learning the ECU has performed since the last time that laptop was connected (because you're not sending the latest, up to date values to the ECU). The only time you should click "Send To ECU", is if you're just sending a Global Folder change to the ECU and you haven't driven the vehicle since the last time the laptop was connected.

Creating, Naming & Saving a Global Folder (Global Config Directory):
    You should name your Global Folder and save it in the EFI software. See below:
    Open the "Help" Contents ("Help" drop down menu), and read "Step-By-Step Beginner's Tuning".
    Or, at least read the "Quick Start Guide": https://www.holley.com/document/tech...9r10546rev.pdf
    IF creating a new Global Folder Name (as opposed to just saving a change in an existing GF), it's much easier to click "File",
    "Save Global Folder As...", delete the Global Folder Name shown and just type in the new name you want without any backslash.

Emailing Global Folders/Global Files (V4) & Datalogs:
    Your Global Folder and/or Datalogs can be emailed to yourself or other forum members. Click on their username, "View Profile", "About Me" & "Download vCard" for their email address. When emailing a Global Folder/File or Datalog, use your email's 'attachment utility' function and Browse through your computer's "Documents", "Holley", "HEFI" & "Global Folders"/"Global Files" (V4) or "Datalogs". V3 & earlier: Then right click on your Global Folder and Send To "Compressed (Zipped) Folder". Then select the zipped folder and attach it to the email. V4 Global Files & Datalogs (all versions) aren't required to be "zipped"; simply select & attach it to the email. The recipient now has your entire GF or Datalog in one easy step. If it's zipped from email, so download it to your Desktop (or wherever your PC saves it to), and unzip it. Then "Cut & Paste" the GF into "Holley" "HEFI" "Global Folders/Files" directory (located in Documents).

ECU Date & Time:
    When you go "Online" with the ECU, the option to "Sync ECU Time" (ECU RTC) is at the top of the ECU Sync window. Then cycle the ignition key off/on.

7. Default

Yes, if it's saved on your laptop computer.
    I meant Saved As on the flash in the handheld programmer.

I meant Saved As on the flash in the handheld programmer.
    I'm not sure, because I have no experience with the Avenger's handheld controller. You'll just have to try it, and see if it saves it.

9. Default

I'm not sure, because I have no experience with the Avenger's handheld controller. You'll just have to try it, and see if it saves it.
    It has a 3 GB flash card it in for saving files...I have Saved As configs already. Should work.

10. Default

Re-ran the Wizard selecting Street & Strip for my cam type after backing up my current file.
    Had to turn the idle screw a bit more CW to get IAC to 2% (or should it be closer to 5%?) and recalibrate the TPS.
    The truck actually seems to be running and responding better, but it's starting to re-learn all over again. So time will tell if this is a better starting point for me and my setup.

My ECU firmware is V397, so I'm planning on loading the 587.eep on the SD card in the handheld and upgrading it. From there after doing one more Save of the current config. From that point forward, I will be tuning via laptop & V2, and will focus on the finer points of tuning. Paying special attention to the EFI Idle Tuning Notes article after fully syncing my timing per Synchronizing Ignition Timing Holley EFI article steps.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast