Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tuning MY Avenger Setup (Specific To My Vehicle)

1. Default

It's ECU controlled timing, so luckily it's an easy fix.
    I think I'll start over with a fresh Global Folder, once timing is fully synced.

'59 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup 3" lift (1" body all around, 2" rear suspension) & dual sway bars
    357ci SBC, Vortec heads, 214°/224° @ 0.050 cam/under .050" lift/112° LSA & roller rockers
    2.5" ram horn manifolds, dual 2.25" pipes, H-pipe behind trans, 14" Flowmaster mufflers
    Power steering, tilt column, power disc brakes up front, A/C (Vintage Air kit pending)
    700R4 transmission, 2200 stall, 3.42 limited-slip rear end & 31.5" tires

2. Default

Went back out to the truck tonight with my fabulous girlfriend, and fixed my timing issue.
    Synced idle timing by advancing the distributor. Readings on balancer & computer/handheld now match.
    After readjusting IAC, and another TPS Autoset, the engine idles very nicely, I'm seeing the highest vacuum at idle on this engine ever.

We quickly verified the ignition timing is synchronized throughout the RPM range, via Enabling Static Timing and deactivating Idle Spark control.
    Timing appears locked out throughout the range, but I will revisit this over the weekend, in daylight, more thoroughly.

A quick spin around the block shows much improvement overall;
    strong launches, crisp throttle response, good advance & Air/Fuel Ratios - a peppy and powerful little engine.

I'm noticing that the IAC drifts to 3% and 4%, even though set at 2%, and there is a bit of a sucking noise from the TBI,
    when just cracking the throttle blades when rolling, after having just come off the throttle (light load).

P.S. The Idle Setting, Target Idle Speed RPM adjustment (higher RPM @ cooler coolant temperature) worked great.
    Last edited by octanejunkie; 01-02-2015 at 03:30 AM.

'59 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup 3" lift (1" body all around, 2" rear suspension) & dual sway bars
    357ci SBC, Vortec heads, 214°/224° @ 0.050 cam/under .050" lift/112° LSA & roller rockers
    2.5" ram horn manifolds, dual 2.25" pipes, H-pipe behind trans, 14" Flowmaster mufflers
    Power steering, tilt column, power disc brakes up front, A/C (Vintage Air kit pending)

Quote Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
    I'm noticing that the IAC drifts to 3% and 4%, even though set at 2%, and there is a bit of a sucking noise from the TBI,
    when just cracking the throttle blades when rolling, after having just come off the throttle (light load).
    It's OK if the IAC Position creeps up to 4% when thoroughly heat soaked.
    It's also OK to adjust the hot idle IAC Position to zero, which allows you to open the throttle blades slightly further.

P.S. The Idle Setting, Target Idle Speed RPM adjustment (higher RPM @ cooler coolant temperature) worked great.
    I'm glad we addressed that. In some base calibrations, the Target Idle Speed RPM scale (Idle ICF) is wrongly flatlined.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

4. Default

Just hooked up my fuel pressure gauge, and I'm getting intermittent pressures ranging from 20-21 psi, as low as 17 psi.
    I bled the fuel line to the gauge, before installing the gauge.
    I've adjusted the actual pressure on the back of the TBI unit three times, and adjusted ECU pressure setting each time.
    I'm not sure what to do at this point - the engine seems to run fine.

Just hooked up my fuel pressure gauge, and I'm getting intermittent pressures ranging from 20-21 psi, as low as 17 psi.
    Fuel pressure should be rock steady at 21 psi. Which fuel pressure gauge is this? If its accuracy is questionable, install Holley's fuel pressure transducer (Link).
    Are you measuring the fuel pressure with the engine running? You can do so with the Avenger TBI, since it's not a vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Fuel pressure should be rock steady at 21 psi. Which fuel pressure gauge is this? If its accuracy is questionable, install Holley's fuel pressure transducer (Link).
    Are you measuring the fuel pressure with the engine running? You can do so with the Avenger TBI, since it's not a vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator.
    Yes, measuring while the engine is running.

I'm using THIS gauge from Summit Racing, and just found this note on their site:

Notes: When reading fuel pressure, keep in mind that a fluid filled pressure gauge will change it’s reading as the temperature of the gauge case changes (Under hood temperature). Because it’s sealed to contain the liquid inside, a liquid filled gauge no longer compares line pressure to actual atmospheric pressure, reporting the difference. Instead, it compares line pressure to the pressure inside the gauge case. As the liquid in the case heats or cools, it expands and contracts, causing case pressure to change as much as 1 psi for every 30 degrees temperature change of the gauge. Will directly screw into any 1/8 NPT female port.
    Seems I should move the Summit gauge further away from the engine...or just rely on cold readings.

I wouldn't mind installing the fuel transducer, if I could also connect an analog gauge to it.
    Navigating the Monitors on the handheld is a challenge, and I don't want to drive with a laptop all the time.
    Last edited by octanejunkie; 01-04-2015 at 12:01 PM.

I wouldn't mind installing the fuel transducer, if I could also connect an analog gauge to it.
    Why not? I have a T-fitting on my engine's oil pressure port, that feeds the Holley oil pressure transducer and the OEM oil pressure sending unit (analog dash gauge). The same can be done with fuel pressure. I also have the Holley fuel pressure transducer and a very similar analog fuel pressure gauge (in engine compartment). If you have a digital fuel gauge, the transducer's 0-5V signal wire can be split to two devices (Holley EFI & digital fuel gauge).

8. Default

Thanks, Danny
    I re-adjusted my fuel pressure regulator back down to 21 psi and re-entered the pressure reading the the ECU.
    I might consider the oil & fuel transducers in the future. I'm running out of room to comfortably put gauges under my dash.
    Someone needs to make an iOS/Android app that can connect to the Holley ECU and display data, allow minor tuning and remote starts!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234