Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holley HP EFI - Which Ignition Setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Only the Dominator ECU has two WBO2 sensor channels.
    The Avenger, HP & Terminator ECUs are not capable of running Closed Loop with dual WBO2 sensors (Dominator ECU only).
    However, you can always wire it into a 0-5V Input (created in I/O) for monitoring/datalogging purposes; just can't run closed loop off of it.
    Two WBO2 sensors is beneficial if the ECU can run closed loop off of them by Averaging (a feature of the Dominator ECU).
    I can start with single and add one if I feel needed.

Is there a base calibration for a marine engine? Right now, I'm playing with the base calibration named, "500-600 CI 45 PSI Gas". If not a marine base calibration, would this be the closest to my initial startup? 540 BBC, MSD crank trigger (Hall-Effect sensor 554-118), MSD EFI distributor with cam sensor. Mild CAM. I think I figured out most of the settings I would need for initial fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity540 View Post
    Is there a base calibration for a marine engine?
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...librations.pdf (Holley EFI Base Calibrations)

Right now, I'm playing with the base calibration named, "500-600 CI 45 PSI Gas". If not a marine base calibration, would this be the closest to my initial startup?
    Are you a forced induction application (turbo or supercharged)? If not, you can't use that base calibration.

Remember, the base calibration you start with, must correspond to the MAP sensor you're using:
    For example, you can't use a naturally aspirated base calibration for a forced induction engine.
    This is because the 2,3,5 bar MAP sensor selection only changes the kPa load Y-axis, but not the Base Fuel Table lb/hr
    values (creating an excessively lean map) or the Base Timing Table degree values (excessively advanced timing map).
    You must choose a 2,3,5 bar base calibration or reconfigure your existing Global Folder's Fuel & Timing Tables accordingly.

540 BBC, MSD crank trigger (Hall-Effect sensor 554-118), MSD EFI distributor with cam sensor. Mild CAM. I think I figured out most of the settings I would need for initial fire.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This! (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read This!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Not forced induction. Just a simple 9.2:1 motor, with a 1050 Dominator carb. 240° intake, 246° exhaust duration. Lift is .620"/.613". 114° lobe separation angle. Very mild stuff.

Reading the above PDF, seems like this is the closest I can get?
    MPI48BB245HE - Set for Holley 48 lb/hr injectors, and performance camshafts (226 to 245 degrees duration at .050” lift). Ignition Type set to GM Small Cap HEI.

John

Reading the above PDF, seems like this is the closest I can get?
    MPI48BB245HE - Set for Holley 48 lb/hr injectors, and performance camshafts (226 to 245 degrees duration at .050” lift). Ignition Type set to GM Small Cap HEI.
    Yes, I was thinking the same thing. The base calibration is just a starting point. Change the Engine & Ignition Parameters to your application, and you're ready.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Yes, I was thinking the same thing. The base calibration is just a starting point. Change the Engine & Ignition Parameters to your application, and you're ready.
    Thanks. We'll see how it goes. Won't actually fire this until March or so, depending on the winter. If you ever do come across a marine base configuration, and if you remember this thread, let me know. Would love to see some of the more advanced settings.

If you ever do come across a marine base configuration, and if you remember this thread, let me know.
    A marine base calibration usually has three typical differences.
    1) The engine is usually run colder, due to extended durations of engine operation.
    So you'll need to reconfigure the Coolant Temperature Enrichment % and A/F Ratio Offset Tables, from what the base calibration specifies.

2) The ignition timing at 3/4 - WOT, is usually retarded 2°-3° for sustained WOT marine use.
    So you'll have to see where this happens on the Timing Table, and decrease the timing advance a few degrees from optimum.

3) The air/fuel ratio at 3/4 - WOT, is usually enriched slightly for sustained WOT marine use.
    So you'll have to see where this happens on the Target A/F Ratio Table, and enrich the values (numerically lower) if they're somewhat lean.

I think I found someone who has a good base calibration to start with. Seems like these systems are becoming rather popular in the marine world.

Just received mine today. Already doing the preliminary layout on the floor. Everything is well planned. Plenty of thought went into it, to make it as simple as possible for the installer. But (and there is always a but), I'm a bit confused on the ignition side of things.
    I have Holley part number 554-118 (Hall-Effect sensor for my MSD crank trigger), and Holley part number 558-306 to wire it up. I also have a new MSD 23451 distributor.

With the Holley 558-306, I will make my own wiring "end" connector. The other end will be made, and plug into the Holley 554-118 Hall-Effect crank sensor. But what about the MSD 23451 distributor? Is there an adapter? Do I cut & splice wires there? I thought I saw a link to this setup on the forums before, but if it does exist, I cannot seem to find it.

Thanks, John

With the Holley 558-306, I will make my own wiring "end" connector.
    Correct, and that mating ignition connector is included in the Holley 558-306 ignition harness.

The other end will be made, and plug into the Holley 554-118 Hall-Effect crank sensor.
    Correct, and that mating connector is included with the Holley 554-118 crank sensor.
    Holley 554-118 Hall-Effect crank sensor wiring:
    Red wire - +5V to +16V clean switched power (Pin B20-P1B - ECU Connector).
    White wire - sensor signal output to ECU (Pin A - Crank Input - Ignition Connector).
    Black wire - clean sensor ground (Pin C - IPU Ground - Ignition Connector).
    https://www.holley.com/document/199r10633rev.pdf (Holley 554-118 Crank Sensor Instructions)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....7990#post47990 (Related Forum Post - Wiring To Pin B20, "EST +12V Output")

But what about the MSD 23451 distributor? Is there an adapter? Do I cut & splice wires there?
    The MSD 23451 distributor uses a very common 3-cavity Weather-Pack connector.
    Purchase the mating connector (Link), and pin it to the Holley 558-306 crank/cam sensor harness.
    The Hall-Effect cam sync sensor is wired as shown below:
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...10555rev16.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Figure 12, Page 21)

Thanks Danny, clear as glass so far.
    Can the fuel rails be switched from side to side? In other words, just rotate them?
    MSD Digital 6 box: White wire goes to unterminated white wire on harness?
    Currently, the dashboard tach is plugged into the MSD Digital 6 box, will it just stay there?

Can the fuel rails be switched from side to side? In other words, just rotate them?
    If they fit the same, and the injectors are straight vertical (not angled), then yes.

MSD Digital 6 box: White wire goes to unterminated white wire on harness?
    Correct. The loose white wire (Points Output) from the EFI main harness, connects to the MSD CDI box white wire.
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...10555rev16.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Figure 11, Page 20)

Currently, the dashboard tach is plugged into the MSD Digital 6 box, will it just stay there?
    Yes, see Figure 11 wiring diagram above.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast