Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HP/Avenger EFI - VSS/T56 Reverse Lockout

If anyone is interested, and in case this thread ever shows up in a search, I found an affordable solution to the GM speed sensor being incompatible with the Avenger/HP ECU. I machined an aluminum adapter that plugs into the stock VSS port on the T56 transmission. It has a bore that accepts the Hall-Effect crank sensor from a 2011-2012 Chrysler or Jeep 3.6L. Basically a bushing with an O-ring groove. Initial bench testing seems to indicate this will work fine. I will update once/if I actually have an operational speed input to my computer.

I know there are other options, such as VR conditioners and speedometer adapters. But the adapter I made was easy to machine, and probably wouldn't cost more than $30 if I had to pay to have it made. The crank sensor was $10. The pigtail to plug into the Jeep sensor was actually the most expensive part at $35. So I'm into this for $45, plus my time to machine the adapter. The Cable-X and Hall-Effect adapter would have cost me well over $300, and would leave me with a piggy back system with several parts to potentially fail. And the VR conditioner is out of my league, because I just don't understand how to make one work in this application. It also looked to still cost more than what I came up with, and would add extra components to the system. The easiest but most expensive option of course is the Dominator ECU.

If anyone sees any holes in my logic, I'm all ears. Also, if this does work and anyone is interested, I have a CAD drawing of the adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by racindego View Post
    Initial bench testing seems to indicate this will work fine. I will update once/if I actually have an operational speed input to my computer.
    Yes, please update this thread when you have the final results. I like what you did.

I know there are other options, such as VR conditioners and speedometer adapters.
    That reminds me of this forum thread: LINK.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I'm super interested in how this turns out. I would be down for an adapter. Either pay to have you machine & ship, or purchase CAD drawing and see if it can be done locally. Keep us updated.

I don't have any updates yet, because it has been too cold here to test or even work on the car. The transmission is in and there isn't much left. I just need some better weather. If it all works out, I will be glad to share anything I have to help make this easier for someone else.

Question - Danny - I noticed you said the speedometer output is available for Dominator ECU only. I was able to configure the Transmission ICF to output a speedo signal, which I could Pin Map with no problem using my HP software. Obviously I have not been able to test this or even transfer the changes to the ECU, but why won't it work? It seems like it should work fine.

If you know this won't work, what are my options for the speedo? Splice into the Hall-Effect directly? This takes away my adjustability, and will require a speedo calibrator of some sort, something I really wanted to avoid.

Question - Danny - I noticed you said the speedometer output is available for Dominator ECU only. I was able to configure the Transmission ICF to output a speedo signal, which I could Pin Map with no problem using my HP software. Obviously I have not been able to test this or even transfer the changes to the ECU, but why won't it work? It seems like it should work fine.
    That won't work wiring-wise, because the Transmission ICF receives the VSS signal on pin B18 of the J4 ECU connector. The HP ECU doesn't have a J4 ECU connector.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Figure 28, Page 41)

If you know this won't work, what are my options for the speedo? Splice into the Hall-Effect directly? This takes away my adjustability, and will require a speedo calibrator of some sort, something I really wanted to avoid.
    Well, you may need to use a speedometer that has the adjustability designed within (such as a GPS speedometer). What type of speedometer is currently in your '68 Camaro?
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Well...that's a good question. I modified a factory speedo using the guts from THIS. So now I have a factory appearing speedo that's digital & programmable. The problem is the range of the speedo isn't large enough to match my VSS. (The VSS is 17 pulses/driveshaft rotation, which equates to around 45k PPM with my gears & tire size.) The speedo only goes up to 9999. So I need to calibrate it somehow. Unless I completely botched these numbers somehow???

The problem is the range of the speedo isn't large enough to match my VSS. (The VSS is 17 pulses/driveshaft rotation, which equates to around 45k PPM with my gears & tire size.) The speedo only goes up to 9999.
    How many Pulses Per Mile does your VSS sensor output (from post #11)? Your speedometer's instructions (Link) states the signal must range between 2,000 & 400,000 Pulses Per Mile.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/tech.php?bulletin=g3 (Tire Calculator - Revolutions Per Mile)

Danny, it looks like you are correct. When I tried programming the speedo, it would only go up to 9999, so I must have done something wrong. I will need to look at it again. My VSS puts out 17 pulses/per driveshaft rotation, which equals 45,672 Pulses Per Mile with my gears & tire size. This obviously fits in that range.

Hopefully that solves my problem, thanks for helping me clear that up.

Danny, it looks like you are correct. When I tried programming the speedo, it would only go up to 9999, so I must have done something wrong.
    Yeah, the 9999 value seems to pertain to the trip odometer function.

Hopefully that solves my problem, thanks for helping me clear that up.
    You're welcome.

Since someone did ask, here's more information on the parts I used, and the adapter I made. Again, just so everyone knows, I have not tested this in the vehicle yet. I have installed the sensor in the transmission, and spun the input shaft by hand, and was able to read a frequency from the sensor with a multimeter. So it seems it should work fine, but we all know how that goes..

Anyway here are the Mopar part numbers:
    Crank sensor to be used as VSS: 05149167AD
    Pigtail to connect to sensor: 68190404AA

Attached, is a drawing of the adapter I made to retrofit the Jeep Hall-Effect crank sensor, into the T56 in place of the stock VR sensor.
    I made it from aluminum because that is what I had, but you could use pretty much anything.
    If anyone has any other questions, let me know. I will update further once I test.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T56 VSS Adapter.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	1010  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast