Thread: White Wire?

Default White Wire?

Doing another Terminator installation, this time on Dad's Nova. His main harness has a white wire with all the other loose wires. I don't remember this from last year when I did mine, and the manual doesn't appear to reference it. Some searching says white is for a crank trigger type ignition, but supposedly doesn't exist in a Terminator harness by default.

Have they seen enough interest to just go ahead and add that wire now? We are using a small cap HEI so I won't need it anyway. I just want to confirm I'm not missing something important that has changed.

They keep the wiring colors the same, which is great. You can download the latest wiring charts at: https://holley.com/support/resources/

Quote Originally Posted by doldsen83 View Post
    Some searching says white is for a crank trigger type ignition, but supposedly doesn't exist in a Terminator harness by default.
    The earlier Terminator EFI wiring harnesses didn't have the "Points Output" loose white wire. It does now.
    Loose white wire: The ECU's "Points Output" loose white wire (A6-P1A) in EFI harness, transmits a ground pulse trigger for a CD ignition box.
    With Ford TFI/GM HEI and a CD ignition box, the ignition module directly triggers the CDI box; not the loose white wire in the EFI main harness.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....7511#post77511 (Alternative Points Output/White Wire Method - Posts #18-#21)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Figured they must have just added it to the harness by default. Thanks Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by doldsen83 View Post
    Figured they must have just added it to the harness by default. Thanks Danny.
    The Terminator EFI was originally intended for very basic computer controlled distributor applications, which trigger a CD ignition box directly (not by the "Points Output" loose white wire). In your application (GM small cap HEI), it doesn't matter if the loose white wire is there, because you don't need it.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Danny, is there a better description of this white wire and when it's used? I've read through the instructions a few times, and don't see it mentioned anywhere. I have an MSD-6AL, triggered by an aftermarket (non-HEI) distributor, and I'm using the standard TACH Out on the MSD box to trigger the Terminator. I'm assuming I don't need this wire, but I'd like to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    Danny, is there a better description of this white wire and when it's used? I've read through the instructions a few times, and don't see it mentioned anywhere.
    Probably not a better description than posts #3 & #5. Read link below for more info:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....4913#post44913 (Additional Information)

I have an MSD-6AL, triggered by an aftermarket (non-HEI) distributor, and I'm using the standard TACH Out on the MSD box to trigger the Terminator. I'm assuming I don't need this wire, but I'd like to be sure.
    Which distributor is this? Is this not an ECU controlled timing application?
    The TACH Out terminal on the MSD ignition box is only used for non-ECU controlled timing applications.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10653rev7.pdf (Terminator EFI Manual - Figure 21, Page 16)
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Figure 8, Page 17)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Which distributor is this? Is this not an ECU controlled timing application?
    It's a Mallory Unilite. Not ECU controlled timing (that's next after I get everything working).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    It's a Mallory Unilite. Not ECU controlled timing (that's next after I get everything working).
    Non-ECU controlled timing is half an EFI system. A GM small cap computer controlled HEI is just too easy.
    The Timing Tables in the base calibrations will be far better than any centrifugal/vacuum advance curve.
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10653rev8r.pdf (Terminator EFI Manual - Figure 24, Page 17)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ing-Holley-EFI (Timing Synchronization Information)

Another use of the white wire and the yellow wire, is if you need to populate one of the unused ports in P1A you can pull the white or yellow out of its present location, and put it in the desired vacant hole as those terminals. Tyco style terminals used in the harness aren't real easy to come by when making up your own wires to use. Just use the wire in the harness by moving it wherever you need and programming that I/O.