Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Low Oil Pressure Safety Feature

Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    One quick note:
    If you are naturally aspirated, with a 1 bar MAP sensor, you cannot use the Boost configuration without making a Custom 2 bar MAP sensor programmed to 1 bar MAP.
    Anytime you add the Boost ICF, the EFI software automatically assumes you have a 2 bar or higher MAP sensor, and will not allow you to select a 1 bar MAP sensor.

So the way around it, is to use the Custom 2 bar MAP sensor setting, and just program it with the settings of the 1 bar MAP sensor you are using.
    0-5V, 10 kPa-105 kPa or whatever your sensor is.
    So what are the Custom 2 bar settings for the standard Holley 1 bar MAP sensor on the Terminator EFI?

Quote Originally Posted by xyzrbs View Post
    So what are the Custom 2 bar settings for the standard Holley 1 bar MAP sensor on the Terminator EFI?
    "Custom 2 bar" MAP Sensor Calibration Curve:
    10 - 105 MAP kPa (linear)
    0.00 - 5.00 Volts (linear)

This is for all Holley EFI systems, not just the Terminator EFI.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

When you setup these safety features, are they only active only after the engine is running? Answer is probably obvious, they are I'm sure, but still need to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ButchB View Post
    When you setup these safety features, are they only active only after the engine is running?
    Actually, it depends on the type of safety output (Custom I/O, Software Outputs, Boost Safety Setup, etc.). For example:
    I created a custom Electric Fan Output because I don't like the fans running (hot engine) when I have the key-on/engine-off.
    I configured it to enable above 650 RPM, and with a 200°F Activation - 190°F Deactivation/Hysteresis Mode.
    I didn't want to use the preexisting Electric Fans output in "Basic I/O" (System Parameters), so the fans only operate when the engine is running.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

So if I setup a safety kill to cut ignition if oil pressure drops below 20 psi, my concern is that when I first start cranking, the oil pressure is below that for the first second or so, before the engine starts. Is the safety kill gonna cut ignition while it's trying to start?

Is the safety kill gonna cut ignition while it's trying to start?
    Again, what type of output are you referring to? If you're referring to the Custom I/O, then simply add an "RPM" Sensor Input Trigger (Configuration) to only activate the output above 650 RPM.

Yeah, sorry it's a custom I/O. I set it up as safety kill in the custom I/O. I have the safety kill setup so that if injector duty cycle gets above 95% or oil pressure drops below 20 psi, then it will activate it. Then in the boost section under Safety Setup in the bottom section, I have it set to Cut Ignition, if it sees the safety kill for 1 second. If I use "RPM" as a Sensor Input Trigger, then wouldn't that trigger the output the same way it does as if duty cycle goes above 95% or oil pressure drops below 20%?

If I use "RPM" as a Sensor Input Trigger, then wouldn't that trigger the output the same way it does as if duty cycle goes above 95% or oil pressure drops below 20%?
    No, not when the "Sensor input(s) will activate switched output when enabled" is set to "All" (as opposed to "Single"). It must be configured with more than one Sensor Input Trigger.

OK, I got it now. Thanks!

I wish I could figure out another way to do it though. After thinking about it a little more, having to trigger "ALL" of the them makes it harder to protect the engine. If you lose oil pressure, it still won't cut the ignition unless every trigger is met at the same time. Like in my case, low oil pressure won't cut the ignition, unless my injector duty cycle gets over 95% at the same time.
    Last edited by ButchB; 02-05-2015 at 12:19 PM.

OK, I got it now. Thanks!

I wish I could figure out another way to do it though. After thinking about it a little more, having to trigger "ALL" of the them makes it harder to protect the engine. If you lose oil pressure, it still won't cut the ignition unless every trigger is met at the same time. Like in my case, low oil pressure won't cut the ignition, unless my injector duty cycle gets over 95% at the same time.
    Make multiple Safety Kill outputs with the few things you need together...like one for oil pressure and rpm, and another one for Injector Duty Cycle.

Then just link them in one main Safety Kill output using the "Linked Outputs" section.

This way, you can use "Single" and it can be any number of combined settings to make it happen.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234