Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Oil Pressure Safety Feature

Default Low Oil Pressure Safety Feature

Is there a way to safeguard a low oil pressure situation on the strip? Anything that can be set to shut the motor down, in the back ground if this event occurs?

Quote Originally Posted by oscs View Post
    Is there a way to safeguard a low oil pressure situation on the strip?
    Yes.

Anything that can be set to shut the motor down, in the back ground if this event occurs?
    You can enable the oil pressure Switched Caution/Warning Output (in Sensor Scaling/Warnings),
    or
    create a custom Output in the I/O ICF, to activate the Rev Limiter #1 or #2 (in Ignition Parameters).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    You can enable the oil pressure Switched Caution/Warning Output (in Sensor Scaling/Warnings),
    or
    create a custom Output in the I/O ICF, to activate the Rev Limiter #1 or #2 (in Ignition Parameters).
    If triggered, will the oil pressure switched caution output simply alert me, or will it actively shut down the motor via rev limiter/ignition? Or do I need to use an in/out to limit revs or ignition?

Add the Boost ICF to your Global Folder.
    Setup an output called "Safety Enable" (or something of your choice).
    In the settings, set it to enable when oil pressure is below xxx psi, and secondary deactivation when it is xxx + a few psi.
    In the Boost ICF, there's a drop down at the bottom of it, and you can select an output to trigger the boost safety, set to cut ignition.
    Then you can use it in the boost safety, and it will cut ignition when oil pressure drops below the value you set.
    And then you ignore the rest of the Boost section all together.

No extra wires needed.

You can Pin Map if you want, but it's not necessary, just when it says,
    "Some I/O are not Pin Mapped, do you want to continue?"
    Just select yes, and basically ignore the Pin Map stuff for it.
    You can setup Caution & Warning in the oil pressure sensor settings as well.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

If triggered, will the oil pressure switched caution output simply alert me, or will it actively shut down the motor via rev limiter/ignition?
    It depends how you set the Rev Limiter. Download the EFI software and familiarize yourself with it.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    Add the Boost ICF to your Global Folder.
    Setup an output called "Safety Enable" (or something of your choice).
    In the settings, set it to enable when oil pressure is below xxx psi, and secondary deactivation when it is xxx + a few psi.
    In the Boost ICF, there's a drop down at the bottom of it, and you can select an output to trigger the boost safety, set to cut ignition.
    Then you can use it in the boost safety, and it will cut ignition when oil pressure drops below the value you set.
    And then you ignore the rest of the Boost section all together.

No extra wires needed.

You can Pin Map if you want, but it's not necessary, just when it says, "Some I/O are not Pin Mapped, do you want to continue?",
    just select yes, and basically ignore the Pin Map stuff for it.

You can setup Caution & Warning in the oil pressure sensor settings as well.
    Great info here. Thanks a lot! Do you know if the HP is capable of the same thing?

Do you know if the HP is capable of the same thing?
    Yes it is, because it's software based I/O.

Are there safeties built into the ECU for fuel safety as well? And how can they be turned on? What happens if the second fuel pump blows a fuse, or fails to come on and the system cannot self correct?

I wanted to be able to monitor the fuel pressure, and use the REV Limiter #3 as shown above. But the pressure is constantly changing with manifold pressure, and I don't see a way to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Transam-z View Post
    Are there safeties built into the ECU for fuel safety as well? And how can they be turned on?
    A fuel pressure safety output can be created the same way as the various methods outlined in this thread.

But the pressure is constantly changing with manifold pressure, and I don't see a way to do this.
    The N/A fuel pressure does not change at WOT (wide open throttle). At full throttle, the fuel pressure is the static fuel pressure.
    When creating the fuel pressure output, configure it using the various Sensor Input Triggers, so it's only active at WOT.

I called Holley the other day with the exact same questions. Over boost rev limit? Low oil pressure shut off? Low fuel pressure shut off? Needless to say the guy was no help at all. In fact, he told me to wire in a stand alone pressure switch into the ignition!? What? It sounds a little complicated to navigate the software to accomplish these things, but I'll try to figure it out with the help of this post.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast