Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4D Acceleration Issue

Default 4D Acceleration Issue

I'm having an issue with my Pro-Jection 4D system. I'm not able to accelerate hard.
    When I floor it, engine surges high to low rpm. I can slowly accelerate to cruising speed.
    Adjusting High RPM and Accel circuits do not help.
    18 psi fuel pressure, 2 psi return pressure.
    TPS adjusted to .58 volts at idle, smooth increase to wide open throttle to 3.9 volts.
    396 Chevy engine, GM HEI distributor. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
    I'm not able to accelerate hard. When I floor it, engine surges high to low rpm. I can slowly accelerate to cruising speed.
    Need more information. When this happens, is it too lean or too rich?
    If it's too lean, you may have to increase the fuel pressure, if the knobs have no effect.
    https://www.holley.com/document/techlibrary_r10022.pdf (Pro-Jection 4D/4Di Manual)

...GM HEI distributor.
    Is this an ECU controlled timing application? If so, is the ignition timing synchronized?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I don't know if it's too rich or too lean. A 4D system, no computer hooked up.
    This is a non computer controlled HEI. One wire for battery, tach output wire to yellow wire for ECU.
    Thanks.

I don't know if it's too rich or too lean. A 4D system, no computer hooked up.
    That's what a stand-alone wideband O2 sensor kit is for (Link).
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I'm running the O2 sensor.

I'm checking the MAP sensor. According to page 39, "Using a digital voltmeter tap into the ORANGE wire at the MAP sensor. With the engine off and the key in the run position, voltage should be close to 2.0 volts."
    I have 5 volts at the Orange lead.
    My red lead is at 2 volts and matches the matrix on page 39.
    HG vacuum = volts
    0" = 2.0
    5" = 1.6
    10" = 1.1
    15" = .8

My MAP sensor terminals:
    A= Black
    B= Red
    C= Orange

Are my B and C pins switched in the harness? Thanks.

Is there software to use that allows viewing the performance, at an additional cost?
    I'm running the O2 sensor with the 4D system. Thanks.

I'm running the O2 sensor.
    What O2 sensor? Is it a wideband O2 sensor?

Are my B and C pins switched in the harness? Thanks.
    I think you're confusing the TPS sensor diagram, with the MAP sensor instructions (page 39).

Is there software to use that allows viewing the performance, at an additional cost?
    If I remember correctly, you can use the 4Di software to monitor (view only) a 4D system.
    Click "Fuel Injection" and scroll down to "Pro-Jection 4Di Tuning Software":
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...i_software.zip (Pro-Jection 4Di Tuning Software)
    http://home.earthlink.net/~dvgreimann/holleyefi.html (Holley 534-71 Data Acquisition Software)

I'm running the O2 sensor with the 4D system.
    That's a narrowband O2 sensor, not a wideband O2 sensor.

I'm referring to the MAP sensor voltage readings. Orange & red voltages are switched.

I discovered that when revving the engine in park, the surging or cutout is happening.
    I will have to see at what rpm this happens. The same rpm in each gear and in neutral/park?

I was able to download the software. I'll see what I can find via that. Thanks.

Are my B and C pins switched in the harness?
    My MAP sensor terminals:
    A= Black
    B= Red
    C= Orange
    I'm referring to the MAP sensor voltage readings. Orange & red voltages are switched.
    I think there's a misprint on page 39 of the Pro-Jection 4D/4Di Manual. I don't think orange is the signal wire.
    MAP sensor - orange is the +5V reference wire, red/black is the signal wire, and black/white is the ground wire.
    Since there's no wiring schematics, refer to the Commander 950 Manual, pages 110-113. Same color-coding:
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...y_r10149-7.pdf (Holley Commander 950 Manual - Signal is always center pin, orange is still +5V.)
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...10555rev16.pdf (New Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Signal is always center pin, orange is still +5V.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast