Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HP EFI - no cam signal?

Default HP EFI - no cam signal?

Hi, I'll start by saying that I've seen the giant checklist of things, I have it printed out and I have gone through it.
    That said, I'm having an issue where it doesn't seem that I'm getting a cam signal (that is what tech support said, I'm not sure what it is supposed to look like to know).
    The motor is an 6.2L LS that has had a 24X reluctor put on it and an LS2 front timing sensor put on it. Before I bought it, it was running where a 5.3L had been. LS3 intake and injectors, and I called before trying to start it to have someone go over everything & double check that I had. Black crank sensor, new cam sensor (the old one didn't work either).

I've tried swapping the outer wires on the cam sensor extension harness, and everything else I can think of. I'll attach System Logs, and I do realize my battery was dying in a couple. When I couldn't get the car started a few months ago, I took the engine out and apart to verify the cam/crank dots were lined up, and at this point I'm not sure what more I can do.
    Any help/ideas would be appreciated, as all I'm getting now is backfires. At first I'd get one every 20 seconds, or so that sounded like it was going out the intake, but now I get a short burst of them out the tail pipes. Not sure if that counts as progress.

I've read here about someone having a similar issue and changing from sequential to batch fire, but I'm not sure the proper way to go about trying that.

Name:  10004.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  10008.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  57.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd71 View Post
    I'm having an issue where it doesn't seem that I'm getting a cam signal (that is what tech support said, I'm not sure what it is supposed to look like to know).
    I see a cam sensor signal in your datalogs.

The motor is an 6.2L LS that has had a 24X reluctor put on it and an LS2 front timing sensor put on it.
    Are you using the "Custom" Ignition Type?
    If so, how are your Ignition Parameters setup?

LSx Custom Ignition Parameters:
    Ignition Type ....... - "Custom"
    Crank Sensor Type - "LSx 24 Tooth" or "LSx 58 Tooth"
    Inductive Delay .... - "20.0 usec" (← Adjust if necessary - Synchronization Info)
    Timing Offset ....... - "0°"
    Cam Sensor Type . - "Single Pulse" or "GM LSx 4x" (← Sequentially injected.)
    Sensor Type ........ - "Digital Falling" (← Sequentially injected.)
    Output Setup Type - "DIS Coil on Plug"
    Dwell Time .......... - "3.5-5.0 msec" (← Read end of page 3 - LINK.)

However, LSx Custom Ignition Parameters with 58x crank & 1x cam applications, set the cam Sensor Type to Digital Rising (LINK).

I've read here about someone having a similar issue and changing from sequential to batch fire, but I'm not sure the proper way to go about trying that.
    Try running it in non-sequential mode.
    Cam Sensor - "Not Used" (Ignition Parameters)
    If it runs, replace the cam sync sensor.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I see a cam sensor signal in your datalogs.
    Yes, I thought I did as well, but I wasn't sure if the squares were supposed to be so long, compared to the more frequent crank ups & downs.

Are you using the "Custom" Ignition Type?
    If so, how are your Ignition Parameters setup?
    I wasn't, but that was something I was going to try today, once I read that about the Inductive Delay.
    I had seen those other settings mentioned elsewhere, I think it was by you actually.

LSx Custom Ignition Parameters:
    Ignition Type ....... - "Custom"
    Crank Sensor Type - "LSx 24 Tooth" or "LSx 58 Tooth"
    Inductive Delay .... - "20.0 usec" (← Adjust if necessary - Synchronization Info)
    Timing Offset ....... - "0°"
    Cam Sensor Type . - "Single Pulse" or "GM LSx 4x" (← Sequentially injected.)
    Sensor Type ........ - "Digital Falling" (← Sequentially injected.)
    Output Setup Type - "DIS Coil on Plug"
    Dwell Time .......... - "3.5-5.0 msec" (← Read end of page 3 - LINK.)

Try running it in non-sequential mode.
    Cam Sensor - "Not used" (Ignition Parameters)
    If it runs, replace the cam sync sensor.
    I'll try these suggestions shortly and report back. Thanks for your assistance.

Yes, I thought I did as well, but I wasn't sure if the squares were supposed to be so long, compared to the more frequent crank ups & downs.
    Well, do you have a 1x (single pulse) cam sensor, or a 4x cam sensor?
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Okay, first the one using the Custom Ignition Parameters and the cam sensor:
    Name:  Settings using cam sensor.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  56.6 KB

And this is the one not using the cam sensor:
    Name:  Custom settings from Forum.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  66.7 KB

Not using the cam sensor, I did get more popping and backfiring. I'm tempted to pull the motor and swap a different cam in, just to see what would happen. The cam is new, but I'm wondering if it was ground right (I know this is unlikely, but the first one I was sent wasn't even true, and wouldn't go in the motor more than halfway.) Again, unlikely but I'm not sure what else it could be. Could clogged injectors cause this? I suppose I could get them cleaned.

I do see the cam signal in both of these, so that would mean the sensor works wouldn't it?

I do see the cam signal in both of these, so that would mean the sensor works wouldn't it?
    Again, do you have a 1x (single pulse) cam sensor, or a 4x cam sensor?
    Also, when posting crank/cam signal datalogs, delete the "Crank A/D", "Cam A/D" & "Crank Pos" channels.

1x cam sensor.
    I'll uncheck those boxes next time.

1x cam sensor.
    OK good, it's easier to deal with.

And this is the one not using the cam sensor:
    I'll uncheck those boxes next time.
    OK, I was wondering why there's a cam signal/pattern in the 2nd System Log (since you stated "cam sensor not used").

As was I; I'm redoing it now actually, just to be sure.

The motor is an 6.2L LS that has had a 24X reluctor put on it and an LS2 front timing sensor put on it.
    Is this "24x reluctor" an actual GM LSx type 24x crank trigger wheel (or just a basic 24 tooth reluctor wheel)? Is the 1x single pulse cam sync "timed" for an GM LSx 24x crank trigger? They must be GM LSx compatible with each other, when selecting such Ignition Parameters. It seems the crank & cam signals aren't timed right.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast