Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help With Commander 950

The engine is put together by an experienced mechanic here in Thailand but this system is quite new for us. I'm not sure if the timing is set correctly so I just called and asked the guy and he said timing is good.

This is not an ECU controlled timing. Our application is pretty much like figure 82 in the manual

The timing has to match for the ECU to send the signal to injector? I can go check to make sure that the timing is correct this weekend if that's the case. I have to go there anyway.
    Last edited by Ancient; 07-31-2014 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    This is not an ECU controlled timing application. The timing has to match for the ECU to send the signal to injector?
    No, but since this isn't an ECU controlled timing application, the ECU is simply reading an RPM signal. So if it's receiving an RPM signal, then the problem could be ignition related, or the wrong base map selected/loaded. Does your tachometer indicate cranking RPM? Which base map are you using? Is the battery fully charged?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

The base map comes with the software when installed. It's "7503" something, just numeric figure file name.

The tach hasn't been installed yet. I will have it installed this weekend and will let you know how it goes.

Battery is fully charged.
    Last edited by Ancient; 07-31-2014 at 04:59 AM.

If the fuel pump primes at key-on, and the "Fuel Pump On" indicator is highlighted red while cranking, the fuel injectors should spray. I'd start checking the wire harness. Is there switched +12V power on the red wire of the injector connector? The red wire supplies keyed +12V to all the injectors, and the ECU pulses the injector grounds.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Yes, we have +12V at the red wires. The ECU just won't pulse grounds. I will recheck the wiring again just in case.
    Last edited by Ancient; 07-31-2014 at 07:32 AM.

The ECU just won't pulse grounds. I will recheck the wiring again just in case.
    Seems like it's an RPM signal issue. You'll know more when you install the tachometer.

I checked the +12V again from ECU to the injector. At key on, there is +12V for 5 seconds and then off. I tried to crank after that, +12V is gone. The rpm from the tach looks OK.

At key on, there is +12V for 5 seconds and then off. I tried to crank after that, +12V is gone.
    Well, that's the problem. The +12V is supposed to return when cranking the engine to start. It seems the C950 ECU isn't receiving a valid RPM signal. Check that wire too.

You think it's a bad MSD box? It's only one wire from MSD to ECU, and it looks OK.

You think it's a bad MSD box?
    I don't know, it's possible.

It's only one wire from MSD to ECU, and it looks OK.
    If it's wired correctly, then that should make it easier to troubleshoot. Are you using the yellow/black wire?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast