Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terminator with HP ECU?

Default Terminator with HP ECU?

I currently have the plug & play kit to put the HP EFI on a LS motor for a future build. In the mean time, can I use the ECU and pickup a Terminator throttle body to put on a SB Chevy for now? Is this a possible swap with maybe a different harness to use the MSD distributor? I'd also like to use the LS coil packs if possible?

Thanks in advance, Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by speedphreake View Post
    In the mean time, can I use the ECU and pickup a Terminator throttle body to put on a SB Chevy for now?
    The Terminator EFI uses the same ECU as the Avenger/HP EFI, and it can be upgraded to an HP EFI simply by connecting a laptop computer (USB cable).
    The Terminator EFI uses a different main harness than the Avenger/HP EFI. So certain things, such as a knock sensor wire, needs to be added.

Software & Firmware Versions:
    Software: click "Help" tab (top toolbar) & "About Holley EFI".
    Firmware: click "Sync With ECU" & "Get ECU Info" (Key-on/USB connected).
    The latest software & firmware can be downloaded here:
    https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection (Holley EFI Technical Library)
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...9r10546rev.pdf (HP & Dominator Quick Start Guide)
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...g_firmware.pdf (How To Update ECU Firmware)
    Before updating firmware, ensure the current Global Folder is saved somewhere, since it will be erased from the ECU.

The latest V2 software can be downloaded here: https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection
    Read the 199R10632rev5 PDF document for a "V2 Software Update Overview" (in "Holley EFI V2 Instructions").
    Be sure to successfully install the new V2 software, before installing the ECU firmware (read "V2 Update Instructions").
    Ensure the Holley EFI software is not open and the ECU is not powered on/connected when installing the new software.

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    ‒ Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...10555rev16.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....r-ECU-Question (Additional Information)

Is this a possible swap with maybe a different harness to use the MSD distributor?
    The Terminator Throttle Body, Throttle Body Harness and the Main Harness are available here:
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...service_parts/ (Terminator Accessories)

I'd also like to use the LS coil packs if possible?
    Yes, the HP EFI can run LSx coils; just program the ECU Ignition Parameters accordingly.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

What WBO2 sensor and coolant temp sensor will work? Can I pick something up at the local parts store or do they have to be the ones from Holley? Gathering parts to do this and hope to start the conversion this weekend. Thanks, Jeff

What WBO2 sensor and coolant temp sensor will work? Can I pick something up at the local parts store or do they have to be the ones from Holley?
    These two items are included in the Terminator EFI kit. Why would you have to purchase them separately? Read the Terminator EFI Manual (Link).
    You must use the Holley WBO2 sensor (Bosch or NTK - Link). This is the Coolant Temperature Sensor used: http://www.holley.com/534-10.asp.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I'm not using the Terminator "kit". I have the LS HP Kit and I'm adapting a SBC with the Terminator throttle body and harness, per the previous posts. The LS kit does not come with the sensors.

The LS kit does not come with the sensors.
    Which Holley part number kit do you have? All the Holley HP EFI - GM LS Engine Plug & Play Kits (Link) have a WBO2 sensor (Bosch or NTK).

Not sure how I missed the big white bag with the WBO2 sensor in it, but I found it. What about the temp sensor?

Also, I'm not seeing how I can use my MSD distributor without having an MSD box hooked up.
    If I'm reading the directions right, I need to keep the MSD box or change to a GM HEI EFI distributor?
    Last edited by speedphreake; 07-25-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Not sure how I missed the big white bag with the WBO2 sensor in it, but I found it. What about the temp sensor?
    Either buy the Holley coolant temperature sensor (post #4), or a Standard Motor Products TX3 (Link).

Also, I'm not seeing how I can use my MSD distributor without having an MSD box hooked up.
    If I'm reading the directions right, I need to keep the MSD box or change to a GM HEI EFI distributor?
    Which MSD Ignition distributor (part number) do you have?

Originally, it was the MSD 8394 Digital E-Curve distributor. The module went bad. So now, it's only used for the magnetic pickup to trigger the MSD box. It only has 2 wires going to it now.

So now, it's only used for the magnetic pickup to trigger the MSD box. It only has 2 wires going to it now.
    The use of Hall-Effect type crank & cam sensors are much preferred.

Excerpt from Holley EFI manual:
    NOTE - It is not advised to use a magnetic pickup distributor to directly feed the magnetic trigger input of the ECU. If the
    magnetic pickup distributor is connected to the ECU via the inductive pickup trigger wires, the pickup/rotor/cap phasing
    must be corrected. This operation may require a phaseable cap or rotor or possibly machining to the distributor and is
    therefore beyond the scope of most users. Even with the phasing corrected, the electrical noise inside the cap
    (due to the high voltage cap & rotor terminals) may be strong enough to cause electrical noise interference.
    It is advised to use a crank trigger system or a computer-controlled distributor.

The more robust Hall-Effect sensors are preferred because they're not susceptible to EMI/RFI interference/noise,
    and their digital square-wave signal strength is consistent, regardless of RPM (unlike the VR magnetic sine-wave).
    Also, the magnetic VR signal is weaker at cranking speeds.

Hall-Effect: 3-wire, square wave signal (digital), pulse generation
    VR Magnetic: 2-wire, sine wave signal (inductive), voltage generation
    http://www.electronicproducts.com/El...g_for_you.aspx (Hall-Effect vs VR Magnetic)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast