Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boost Solenoids Stopped Working

Default Boost Solenoids Stopped Working

I just installed my new Dominator EFI setup about a month ago. I've had it on the street a few times and ran it into some boost, but it wasn't working properly due to the fact I did not tune the PID values. I read the whole manual last night, and proceeded to "tune" my PIDs using the datalog features. I ran through the boost curve a few times, and then noticed my transbrake was setup backwards. I reversed the setting on the I/O, and changed the Pin-Map to move the transbrake wire to +12V. It was right around that time that the CO2 releasing solenoid quit working. After running through the boost curve again, it seems both solenoids do not work now. When I turn the solenoid power switch ON, they do click, but will not operate anymore. I'm running the system on 16 volts. Any ideas on what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDodge View Post
    When I turn the solenoid power switch ON, they do click, but will not operate anymore.
    You mean they would 'bench test' on a 12V battery fine, but the ECU isn't activating them? Are you sure they're programmed correctly?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Yes, I did try them to a 12 volt battery and the solenoid moved. I have everything wired up correctly to my knowledge. My wastegates have a 2 psi spring and I've been over 10 psi a few times. I did not setup a Master Enable Input. Could that hurt the solenoids if they are turned off, while still running through boost curve?

I did not setup a Master Enable Input. Could that hurt the solenoids if they are turned off, while still running through boost curve?
    There's some pertinent "Master Enable Input" information on page 7 of the Boost Control Manual:
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...R10628rev3.pdf (Holley Boost Control Manual)
    http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...6#post21504386 (Additional Information)
    http://www.holley.com/557-200.asp (Holley EFI Boost Solenoid Valves)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Well I've spent about 5 hours looking over all my wiring, Pin Mapping, etc., and still the boost controller won't work. I even bought a new set of solenoids and that didn't make any difference. The Holley commands Dome Pressure but the solenoids do not move.

The Holley commands Dome Pressure but the solenoids do not move.
    Are the Boost + & − Solenoid "Output Types" (+12V or Ground) programmed correctly in the Inputs/Outputs screen (Boost ICF)? If so, have you tried Pin Mapping them to a different set of pins? Maybe those two outputs were damaged when the transbrake was "setup backwards".

Update(s) on this?
    Injector Inspector
    USAF 1960-1964
    Drag racing since 1955

I'm having this same issue with my HP ECU. Had a breather hose blow out and sprayed oil on the solenoids, and now the ECU isn't firing them anymore. Gotta send the box in I assume? Where do I send it?

Quote Originally Posted by dentfix View Post
    Had a breather hose blow out and sprayed oil on the solenoids, and now the ECU isn't firing them anymore.
    IF those two outputs are damaged, first try moving them to new pins.
    IF those two outputs aren't damaged, try reflashing the ECU firmware.

Gotta send the box in I assume? Where do I send it?
    Holley Tech Service: 1-270-781-9741
    Holley Tech toll free: 1-866-GO-HOLLEY
    https://www.holley.com/about/holley/contact/

I have the HP EFI system. Those are the only 2 pins I can use for the boost control solenoids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast