Thread: Possible to setup TH400 kickdown output from HP EFI?

Default Possible to setup TH400 kickdown output from HP EFI?

Hello, I'm new to the forums. I have a 1970 GTO with a Pontiac 455 and TH400 with a 900 CFM HP EFI TBI system on it.

I was wondering if it was possible to setup an output to activate the kickdown on the TH400? I don't see anything specifically for this, but was thinking maybe I could use the Secondary Fuel Pump output, and utilize whatever throttle position I wanted to activate the TH400 switch. Would this work? Or does someone know a better way? I have the factory kickdown switch on my throttle pedal but it's not working correctly, and this seems like a much nicer way to go about it if I can get it to work. Let me know what you guys think and thanks! Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bjerde View Post
    ...but was thinking maybe I could use the Secondary Fuel Pump output, and utilize whatever throttle position I wanted to activate the TH400 switch. Would this work?
    Yes, it has the parameter(s) you want. The Avenger & Terminator EFI use the HP ECU, so download the Holley EFI V4 software HERE.

Or does someone know a better way?
    Creating a custom Output (Inputs/Outputs ICF):
    1st, Click on the I/O ICF and Outputs.
    2nd, Name it, select Type, Enable it & Configure it. Select the Switched/Sensor Input Triggers and activation criteria.
    3rd, It must be Pin-Mapped to an available J1 connector output pin; click "View Outputs" on the Pin Map.
    Then click & drag it to an available J1 Connector pin. Now you can run this wire to the relay.
    A relay must be used because all the ECU's Outputs are rated at a maximum of 2 amps.

The 558-400 I/O Auxiliary Harness connects up to 4 Inputs & 4 Outputs to the EFI main harness.
    Eight Wire I/O Auxiliary Harness Connector Pin-Out (also in the Holley EFI Wiring Manual Link):
    Pin A...A12...White/Blue (Input #1)
    Pin B...A3...White/Red (Input #2)
    Pin C...A13...White/Black (Input #3)
    Pin D...A4...White/Green (Input #4)
    Pin E...B12...Gray/Yellow (Output #1)
    Pin F...B11...Gray/Red (Output #2)
    Pin G...B10...Gray/Black (Output #3)
    Pin H...B3...Gray/Green (Output #4)

You're actually programming the ECU to assign a specific function to that pin/circuit.
    It doesn't have a specific assigned pin; it's any available Output pin, according to which Output Type you selected.
    Don't worry, the EFI software won't allow you to make a mistake with the Pin Map.
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...9r10545rev.pdf (Pin Map Instructions)

If the I/O menu icon (ICF) isn't already uploaded (added) to the top Toolbar, follow these instructions:
    (This same procedure applies to all the various Individual Configuration menu icons/items.)
    The "I/O" function is an "Individual Configuration" of the Holley EFI software.
    At top of screen, Click "Toolbox" and "Add Individual Config".
    At top of new window, select "Individual Configuration Library".
    At bottom of new window, select "Holley EFI Inputs/Outputs Config".
    Select "I/O" and open "Base Config - Blank.io".
    The "I/O" icon will then be present at top of screen.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks a lot for the directions for making a custom output.
    I did not have the I/O ICF, and I really appreciate the info to add that button.
    Once again, thank you! I can see this forum as being a huge help!

You're welcome.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Danny, I plan to run a +12V signal from my HP to my TH400. A few questions. Say I set the switch to activate at 80% TPS signal. Would I need to set a deactivate percentage? Or would it only activate at my set value?

Quote Originally Posted by DCx View Post
    Would I need to set a deactivate percentage? Or would it only activate at my set value?
    You don't need the Secondary Deactivation, it's only active at 80% & Above (or whatever percentage you choose).
    Conversely, the Secondary Deactivation option would be programmed for something like an electric cooling fan.