Thread: 16 Injectors - HP ECU?

Default 16 Injectors - HP ECU?

I have a 16 injector BDS plate on a roots blower. The 16 High-Z 42 lb/hr injectors are wired in parallel pairs. This was fine with the previous Gen 7 controller. My question is will this work with my new Holley HP? The car runs on E85, so I don't need to stage the injectors.

I'm thinking that I should set the parameters for 84 lb/hr injectors, but not sure if I should set it for high impedance or low impedance, since the parallel wiring cuts the Ohm load in half? Holley Tech told me to program it for 3 sets of injectors, and basically zero the 3rd set. But I keep getting an error message, saying that the 3rd set of injectors are assigned to pins on a connector that doesn't exist, and to correct the problem before syncing. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by sr71 View Post
    I have a 16 injector BDS plate on a roots blower. The 16 High-Z 42 lb/hr injectors are wired in parallel pairs. My question is will this work with my new Holley HP?
    http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=887922 (Same question, short answer from Doug Flynn - Chief EFI Engineer at Holley.)

FYI: The Holley 558-200 or similar fuel injector harness can also be used for a 2nd set of injectors (16 injector setup). This would typically be an HP ECU application that can't "stage" the 2nd set of eight injectors. So it's wired to the existing injector harness connector (same length as original injector harness), using new Metri-Pack 150 terminals (Link). The same impedance type injectors must be used. A Dominator ECU can "stage" the 2nd set of eight injectors, so this fuel injector harness would be too short to reach the ECU J2B connector (four ECU connector terminals required).
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/558-204 (Universal Unterminated 8 Injector EV1 Harness)
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/558-207 (Universal Unterminated 16 Injector EV1 Harness)

The car runs on E85, so I don't need to stage the injectors.
    That's good, because the HP ECU can run 16 fuel injectors sequentially (paired - two injectors wired to each injector driver output), but it can't stage them.

I'm thinking that I should set the parameters for 84 lb/hr injectors, but not sure if I should set it for high impedance or low impedance, since the parallel wiring cuts the Ohm load in half?
    No, that's not the correct way to program a 16 injector setup. Program the fuel injectors accurately - impedance (high or low) & size (lb/hr).

Holley Tech told me to program it for 3 sets of injectors, and basically zero the 3rd set.
    Correct, you have to kludge the EFI software to program 16 paired injectors (HP ECU only).
    To drive 16 injectors (HP ECU), the software must be programmed to pair the first 2 sets - "Dual Individual".
    Select 3 Injector Sets (only use 1st & 2nd set), and enter 0.1 lb/hr "Rated Flow per Injector" for the 3rd set.
    Also on the 3rd Injector Set, set the "Rated Injector Pressure" to 43 psi, and "Duty Cycle Activation" to 100%.
    In the Pin Map - "View Injectors" tab, the Connector J1 Injector Output Drivers A-H will be paired "Set 12",
    and ignore Injector Output Drivers I-L "Set 3" under Connector J2. The HP ECU doesn't have a J2 Connector.

FYI: To view the "Total System Fuel Flow" lb/hr value (under Fuel System), enter 0.1 psi "Rated Injector Pressure" for Injector Set 3.

But I keep getting an error message, saying that the 3rd set of injectors are assigned to pins on a connector that doesn't exist, and to correct the problem before syncing.
    Yes, you just have to ignore the Pin Map Error message (HP ECU only), when exiting the Holley EFI software.

UPDATE: http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...tions_rev3.pdf (Holley EFI 16 Fuel Injector Setup - 8 Cylinder Engines)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Oh OK, I didn't know who Doug was. A big thanks to you & Doug both!

I've searched the help section in the software & the forum, and just have a couple more questions before I try to fire this thing up.
    My ignition setup is the Holley 60-2 crank trigger set TDC on 11th tooth, MSD HVC box & coil triggered by the white wire in the Holley harness and MSD distributor. I understand that I need to adjust the offset number to sync up at TDC. Now the questions;

Since I'm running the 60-2 Hall-Effect trigger with the parameters set to Custom, where should I start out with the Inductive Delay? It's at 240 by default, and the system pops up a warning say I need less than 50.

As for rotor phasing, I will be running 32 degrees of advance at full boost. I assume that I need to phase the rotor, dead center under the #1 post at 32 degrees shown on the timing pointer and balancer? Thanks, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by sr71 View Post
    ...with the parameters set to Custom, where should I start out with the Inductive Delay?
    This link answers the Inductive Delay question:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ing-Holley-EFI (Ignition Timing Synchronization)

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    ‒ Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)

It's at 240 by default, and the system pops up a warning say I need less than 50.
    No! That's not what that warning message means.
    It means if left unsynchronized, the timing can advance beyond what the Timing Table specifies.
    That's just a warning message to ensure you synchronize the timing at higher RPM (Inductive Delay).
    After synchronizing the timing, ignore that warning message and never adjust the Inductive Delay again.

I assume that I need to phase the rotor, dead center under the #1 post at 32 degrees shown on the timing pointer and balancer?
    For naturally aspirated engines, the rotor is usually phased halfway between minimum & maximum amount of timing advance used.
    For forced induction engines, the rotor is usually phased at maximum boost retard, because that's when cylinder pressure is the greatest.

Ensure the distributor's "rotor phasing" is correct.
    MSD has a good video on why it's important:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWMlNwGW0tM (MSD Tech - Rotor Phasing Video)
    http://08961cd535df487cd1c1-bda68e18...m/84211_tb.pdf (MSD Rotor Phasing Document)

Testing the MSD CD ignition box.
    Points Output - white wire & magnetic pickup - violet/green triggering:
    https://www.msdperformance.com/suppo...ng_techniques/ (Troubleshooting Info)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Very good info! Thank you Danny!