Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC, FAST Dual Sync & Multiple Coils

Default BBC, FAST Dual Sync & Multiple Coils

Hey guys,
    I've searched up & down for specific diagram to what I want to do, but haven't found it. The multi-port intake and ECU is all installed and mostly mounted. The FAST dual sync distributor is in the mail, along with 8 MSD LSx coils, etc., so that I can run sequential with my HP EFI system on my 454. Question is, has anyone seen the wiring for this? I thought with this setup, it could eliminate my 6AL MSD box, but I read something saying I need the box still.

Also, the Holley wiring diagram only covers a Hall-Effect crank sensor, not a dual sync with coils. I got most stuff hooked up, I'm just confused which way to wire it up from this point with the coils (ECU and FAST dual sync). This is all really new to me; just used to carbs and vacuum, so sorry if it's a slightly dumb question. Any input diagrams appreciated!

Thanks, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 68chevelle View Post
    I thought with this setup, it could eliminate my 6AL MSD box, but I read something saying I need the box still.
    With a single coil type ignition system, a CD ignition box is required with the FAST dual sync distributor.
    With a distributorless ignition system (multiple coils), the ECU is the ignition box, and it fires the smart coils.

Also, the Holley wiring diagram only covers a Hall-Effect crank sensor, not a dual sync with coils.
    Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    If you already have or you're purchasing a new Holley EFI non-LSx main harness:
    The Holley 558-307 CNP main harness is for Holley's Coil-On-Plug smart coils and LSx ignition coils (nine terminated loose wires into J1B).
    If using Holley's 556-112 CNP coils, the Holley 558-318 CNP coil sub-harness is also required (or the Holley 556-128 CNP Big Wire V8 Kit).
    For LSx coils, Holley 558-307 CNP main harness plugs into two GM 12579355 CNP sub-harnesses or Holley 558-321 LSx coil sub-harnesses.
    If you had a Holley EFI LSx main harness, you wouldn't need the Holley 558-307 CNP main harness or the 558-318 CNP coil sub-harness.
    https://www.holley.com/products/igni...nd_components/ (Holley EFI Coil-Near-Plug Ignition Components)

The Hall-Effect crank & cam sensors are wired as seen in the Holley EFI Wiring Manual:
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Figure 11/12, Page 20/21)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ons-Holley-EFI (FAST Dual Sync Distributor Information)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Danny, first off, let me say that everything I know about EFI, is because of you and all your work on the threads and boards. Love the truck! Hope Holley is paying you (LOL), because you help everyone. Also, awesome news on the CD box, thanks.

SO, I guess I'm still confused. I talked to the Holley rep a while back and ordered what he told me to: all 8 LSx (made by MSD) coil packs, universal spark plug wires and the Holley/FAST 558-313 adapter. The coils send signals with spark plug wires, so got that covered. The adapter gets the ECU talking to the FAST distributor, awesome. Now, how do I get the signal to the coils? Does this signal come from the ECU or distributor? I told the Rep that I had a previously carbed BBC so I obviously don't have "GM sub harnesses" etc.

It SOUNDS like your suggesting 558-307, however the instructions state this is designed to plug into GM LSx coil harnesses. I don't have coil harnesses. Considering my setup...do I have everything I need to connect to the coils? What am I missing?

Thanks, Paul

Now, how do I get the signal to the coils? Does this signal come from the ECU or distributor?
    My first paragraph in post #2 answers this.
    The Holley ECU fires the multiple smart coils.

It SOUNDS like your suggesting 558-307, however the instructions state this is designed to plug into GM LSx coil harnesses. I don't have coil harnesses.
    My second paragraph in post #2 answers this.
    You need the Holley 558-307 CNP main harness and two GM 12579355 CNP sub-harnesses.

Personally, instead of a $346 (Link) FAST Dual Sync distributor (small diameter cap, rotor-phasing issue & questionable high RPM capability),
    I would've purchased the $255 (Link) Holley 60-2 crank trigger kit and the $125 (Link) EFI Connection cam sync unit (for only $34 more).
    Your FAST Dual Sync distributor won't even be used as a distributor, which necessitates modification to remove and cover the cap & rotor.
    It's expensive for something that will only be used for crank & cam signals, which is better implemented with a crank trigger & cam sync unit.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Well hopefully someone will read this and learn from my mistakes. All decisions I made were based off piecing together information on the forums and Holley website. From what I saw, I thought it would be considerably more expensive; I suppose not. I actually just found out, I bought the wrong coils as well (MSD Blaster SS coils), which MSD recommended but were wrong since I need "smart coils". All in all, I guess I made some wrong choices due to not many people doing the same thing/lack of info. I'll ask a direct question on the forums next time.
    Thanks, Paul

Well hopefully someone will read this and learn from my mistakes.
    Well, it certainly isn't too late to sell the wrong parts, and purchase the appropriate parts.

All in all, I guess I made some wrong choices due to not many people doing the same thing/lack of info.
    There's a "lack of info" because most people wouldn't use a FAST Dual Sync distributor with a distributorless ignition system.

I'll ask a direct question on the forums next time.
    That's what I'm here for. I help as much as I can.

Danny,
    Not to be trivial, but a Holley Tech recommended the FAST dual sync over the phone for my application. He said unless I'm running over 1500 HP, this would be a really accurate, simple system that would be cheaper than the separate crank and cam sensors. I don't plan on returning parts via mail from Germany, other than the wrong coils I ordered. I'm wondering however, if I should order the LSx harnesses you mentioned, or 558-312 to plug into 558-307. Any thoughts?

Paul

Not to be trivial, but a Holley Tech recommended the FAST dual sync over the phone for my application.
    If a Holley Tech recommended using a FAST Dual Sync distributor, in a distributorless ignition application (multiple coils), then I strongly disagree with him.

I'm wondering however, if I should order the LSx harnesses you mentioned, or 558-312 to plug into 558-307. Any thoughts?
    My second paragraph in post #2 answers this.

If you're using LSx coils, you must have these two harnesses:
    1) Holley 558-307 CNP main harness
    2) GM 12579355 CNP sub-harnesses (quantity 2)

If you're using Holley 556-112 CNP coils, you must have these two harness:
    1) Holley 558-307 CNP main harness
    2) Holley 558-312 CNP coil sub-harness

I thought I would continue on from this thread rather then starting a new thread. I'm looking to run this setup of FAST dual sync with LS7 CNP. I have the Holley HP EFI 558-604 and the 8 LS7 coils with GM 12579355 CNP sub-harnesses (quantity 2). I know I have to run Holley 558-307 CNP main harness. My question is, where do I wire in the Holley 558-307 CNP main harness into? The P1B ECU connector, or the Ignition connector where the FAST dual sync is plugged into?

Quote Originally Posted by 67tt502 View Post
    My question is, where do I wire in the Holley 558-307 CNP main harness into? The P1B ECU connector, or the Ignition connector where the FAST dual sync is plugged into?
    The Holley 558-307 Main CNP Harness instructions (Link) clearly shows it wired to the P1B ECU connector. The FAST Dual Sync Distributor remains wired to the Ignition connector.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast