Thread: Metric Aluminum Tubing?

Default Metric Aluminum Tubing?

I have a difficult problem with a Volvo XC90 V8. Not your typical car to get plumbed, but it needs a bit.

The issue is the low pressure side of the power steering, the line was damaged by a Volvo dealer and is only now leaking.
    Due to the excessive cost to replace the line, we attempted to get back on the road
    with a quick cut & hose clamp repair but that's failing and needs to be done correctly.

What I wanted to do was pick up the proper fittings and tubing from Parker in Phoenix,
    but upon measuring, they found the cut piece is 12mm. Is there such thing as metric parts?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGTO View Post
    The issue is the low pressure side of the power steering, the line was damaged...
    The return line on the power steering pump or power steering gearbox?

...we attempted to get back on the road with a quick cut & hose clamp repair, but that's failing and needs to be done correctly.
    What failed, the hose clamps or the repair section of hose?
    The proper size piece of hose, and four fuel injection hose clamps should fix it.

...but upon measuring, they found the cut piece is 12mm.
    12 mm I.D. or O.D.? Is this a preformed (curved) aluminum line?
    Sometimes, the entire hose/line can be replaced with a flex hose.

Is there such thing as metric parts?
    Not from Earl's. Earl's only offers ⅜" & ˝" O.D. aluminum tubing (Link).
    However, Earl's does have some metric adapter fittings.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

The line from the rack to the oil cooler had a pin hole rubbed into it.
    The high pressure hose slipped off because we used ˝" I.D. rather then 12 mm, or that's my assumption.
    The hard line with the pin hole is 12 mm O.D. checked by Parker with a micrometer.

I really want to solve this correctly rather then use any more flex then Volvo originally used.
    I'm surprised with all the imports there isn't a market for these fittings.
    I appreciate the quick reply Danny, and promise the GTO will get the right fittings :-)