Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1960 Pontiac with Pro-Jection 2D, help please!

OK, I think this will be my last shot at it. If I don't get it idling and running well, I'll go for the next best thing. LOL, I see you're not big on this system from your link.

What do you think would be a good replacement for this TBI system? 390 c.i. 283 HP 2bbl manifold engine?

Thanks, Dale

Quote Originally Posted by dkyork View Post
    LOL, I see you're not big on this system from your link.
    You won't find many people who are.

What do you think would be a good replacement for this TBI system? 390 c.i. 283 HP 2bbl manifold engine?
    To be honest, you don't seem very EFI savvy, so I wouldn't spend money on another EFI system.
    I'd hire someone who knows this aftermarket EFI system to tune it with a wideband O2 sensor kit.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK, maybe I'm just hard headed, but I'm determined to get this to work. I think I understand the basics of fuel/air and ECU with maps, but I can't even get the engine to idle before the tuning of those. I pulled my plug wires and test the Ohms, was getting erratic readings from 13-17 on a couple. Instead of fussing, I bought a set of premium ones from Napa for $30. Those come in Tuesday. I went ahead and changed out the ignition coil in the HEI distributor my Pops put in. It was all rusty and the plates were separating.

I had a thought. I bought some Holley injectors from Ebay, and I'm wondering if they're only the 60 PPH ones. I'm almost convinced this is the issue. I guess Holley doesn't sell the old style 80 PPH injectors for the Pro-Jection 2D systems any more? I'm thinking I should get the injector upgrade kit and two new injectors, but that means another $300:
    http://www.holley.com/534-170.asp
    http://www.holley.com/522-43.asp

What do you think sir Danny? Thanks, Dale

I had a thought. I bought some Holley injectors from Ebay, and I'm wondering if they're only the 60 PPH ones. I'm almost convinced this is the issue.
    First, I would call Holley Tech to verify which injectors those are. Are there part numbers on the injectors? I don't trust Ebay...especially with injectors this old.

I guess Holley doesn't sell the old style 80 PPH injectors for the Pro-Jection 2D systems any more?
    Correct, Holley no longer sells the old style B2 injectors. They've used Delphi TBI injectors for a long time now.

I'm thinking I should get the injector upgrade kit and two new injectors, but that means another $300:
    http://www.holley.com/534-170.asp
    http://www.holley.com/522-43.asp
    Personally, I wouldn't spend any money upgrading the EFI system, until it runs properly.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I called and they verified the green tops are only 55 PPH. My system calls for 80+.
    I either have to find red/white tops or upgrade the injector pods and get new Delphi injectors.
    I'm thinking these lean issues are caused by the low end injectors, and I need to upgrade now. Thoughts? Dale

I called and they verified the green tops are only 55 PPH. My system calls for 80+.
    I suspected those Ebay injectors were the wrong size.

I either have to find red/white tops or upgrade the injector pods and get new Delphi injectors.
    Now that you know what you're looking for, you'll probably find them somewhere.
    I'd at least try locating a pair, before spending over $300 on the whole upgrade.

I'm thinking these lean issues are caused by the low end injectors, and I need to upgrade now. Thoughts? Dale
    Yes, those wrong 55 lb/hr injectors will cause a lean condition.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123