Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro-Jection, CJ7 Build = DEQ Fail

Default Pro-Jection, CJ7 Build = DEQ Fail

Hello everyone, I'll try to keep this as short as possible, but give as much info as needed.
    1978 CJ7
    AMC 304
    MSD 6 ignition box, with tach adapter
    MSD distributor, wires, and coil
    Edelbrock aluminum manifold
    Aftermarket cam. "not sure of size" afraid this might be my problem?

To start, about a year ago I bought my Pro-Jection 2D (502-20S), and put it on a shelf along with other parts in anticipation of building the Jeep. 9 months ago, I parked the Jeep and started ripping it apart. Now I didn't touch the motor. I had some timing issues I worked out about a month before I parked it, so I just replaced my plug wires, cap, rotor, and timing chain with an Edelbrock double roller. It sat for 9 months but should still be all new. I've been wrong before thought, just ask my wife...

Anyway, I went from auto to manual, so I know my mileage can get messed till I re-gear my axles.
    I've been back on the road 2 weeks now and have only been averaging about 7.5 MPG with the Pro-Jection. I did follow the instructions that came with the kit. I have been playing with the timing, then idle, and trying to get my gas at least back to 10 MPG. But I had to take it to the DEQ yesterday since my tags are expired. This is what I got as a reading. From here, is there any direction anyone can give me to go to help get me on track? If you need any more info I'll gladly give it, and thank you in advance for any help.

Read my posts in this thread. There's good advice on passing an emissions test:
    http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...73118/#1973118 (Similar Forum Threads)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thank you. I guess I should say, I'm not running with the O2 sensor. But that looks like something I should order. And as far as I know, on my kit I can't hook up to my laptop I just have the 5 little knobs to tune with. Am I mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by spikey View Post
    And as far as I know, on my kit I can't hook up to my laptop I just have the 5 little knobs to tune with. Am I mistaken?
    Disregard the laptop computer references. Focus on the air/fuel ratio, timing and idle tuning advice.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I was under the impression that the 2D stuff was never intended for on highway use or to pass smog? Could have sworn I read this?

I did run one of these "for a short time" before going to a used Commander 950 I fell into, and then upgrading THAT to an HP computer. It helped A LOT when I hooked it up to an O2 setup. But I didn't have to worry about passing a smog certification either.
    Last edited by 440roadrunner; 04-07-2014 at 12:34 PM.

LOL, I don't like the sound of that. I know most things you buy in the aftermarket world say something to the effect of, "For Off-Road Use Only". I don't recall seeing it, nor would I have spent the money on it. Doesn't mean it's not there, just I didn't see it. I bought it hoping to have better luck getting though DEQ, and better MPG. But so far, neither has came true.

However, I'm not the down on life type. I have a busy day tomorrow but. Tonight I'll change oil, put in new plugs, and advance my timing. I'm thinking I'll dial down my high rpm, and acceleration. Then try DEQ in the morning.

In Oregon, the cool thing about DEQ, is you only pay if you p****. So next Saturday, I can literally spend my day circling their little lot till they get sick of seeing me, or I pass. Cause the bad thing about here is, they only give you two temporary trip permits. And their only worth 22 days each. The wife just picked up my second yesterday. And even though I'm only getting between 5 & 7 MPG with this system, I really don't plan on not driving my Jeep because I run out of their temporary tags.

I intended to expand a bit. You said you are not using O2. I would think that would help.
    You can still find those sensors and the harness on Ebay, I don't know if Holley has them new or not.

Yeah, LOL! I'm a crane operator. I work nice long hour days and remember things when I'm at work, then forget when I get home.
    I meant to order them last week. I'll at least have a reminder now when I look at this thread from home. Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure half my problem is I'm just too burnt out from work by the time I get home. I just stare blankly at my Jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by 440roadrunner View Post
    You can still find those sensors and the harness on Ebay, I don't know if Holley has them new or not.
    http://www.holley.com/502-20S.asp (Holley Pro-Jection 2D System)
    http://www.holley.com/534-54.asp (Pro-Jection 1D & 2D Closed Loop Kit)
    http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...99R9974rev.pdf (Closed Loop Kit Instructions)

Thanks for the links. I was looking at ordering the rich lean indicator with one, then a second one separate. Then I at least I have a little helper with it.
    After filling the tank last night, I know I'm on the right track. I'm back up to 6.8 MPG, so that's at least a little less blowing out the pipes.
    I decided to hold of on DEQ this morning, and order the O2 sensors. I'll check back in with an update soon. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast