Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1960 Pontiac with Pro-Jection 2D, help please!

Default 1960 Pontiac with Pro-Jection 2D, help please!

Hi everyone,
    I'm new here and glad I found this forum. I'm hoping you all can assist me in fixing my Grandpa's car passed down two generations now. My father passed away and left her to me, and I want to make sure the legacy lives on to my children. It's a 1960 Pontiac Catalina fully restored, but doesn't run anymore. I'm a beginner engine hobbyist and not sure how to troubleshoot the Pro-Jection 2D system it came with. I have verified I'm getting spark and fuel is getting up to the throttle body. When I have my wife try and crank the system, I get nothing from the injectors. I've traced the wires from the ECU to the throttle body and fuel pump. Fuel pump works when I turn the key and can pump gas to the throttle body when I unplug the fuel line form the throttle body. I noticed the injector wires were a bit burnt and showed some copper. I also noticed something weird under the injector caps.

I really could use some help here. Is my ECU shot or is there any way to test it? I don't see power LEDs, or error LEDs on it. I know power is flowing through because the fuel pump does kick in when I turn the key. Not sure if this matters, but this system is over 12 years old.

Thank you all and I will try whatever you recommend. I'm an open cup and excited to learn more. DK

https://imageshack.com/i/m9vnrmj
    https://imageshack.com/i/e9h0n5j
    https://imageshack.com/i/0m7xllj
    https://imageshack.com/i/n80rvrj

The injector wiring & fuel injectors are fried (damaged), and possibly the injector drivers in the ECU as well. At this point, unplug the injectors and use a multimeter (or a noid light) to check for +12V at each injector and for the pulsing ground from the ECU (while cranking). Check the fuse & other wiring too.

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...99R9975rev.pdf (Early Pro-Jection 2D Manual)
    https://www.holley.com/document/199r9777-6rev2.pdf (Late Pro-Jection 2D Manual)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks Danny. Fuse is good (not blown and 10 amp) and rest of the wiring looks solid. The fuse was located by the power relay and the only one I saw. Is there another one? I take it the pulsing ground is indicator of the correct signal form the ECU that it's trying to open the solenoids?

Thanks and I'll check the injector wiring with my multimeter asap. Take care and thanks for your help! DK

Quote Originally Posted by dkyork View Post
    Is there another one?
    You tell me. I never used this particular EFI system.

I take it the pulsing ground is indicator of the correct signal form the ECU that it's trying to open the solenoids?
    Yes, the injectors are 12V powered by the system relay (switched) and the ECU pulses the ground.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Yes, the injectors are 12V powered by the system relay (switched) and the ECU pulses the ground.
    I'm not seeing any reading at all from the injector harness. I even unplugged the injector top harness and tried to get readings from the ECU harness side. I had the key in and turned to on. I believe the ECU was powered because the fuel pump kicked on and the fast idle solenoid clicked on. I didn't try the cranking method because had nobody to help me. I tested the power relay to be OK, although the fast idle solenoid kept clicking on and off when wiggling it. I imagine it's because the ground was not connected tightly. Should I try and measure 12V directly out of the ECU?

Should it be reading 12v when I'm not cranking or only when it opens?

If this ECU is shot, any recommendation on going with a newer system that does all the tuning automatically? It never did run right with this thing according to my pops.

Thanks, DK
    Last edited by dkyork; 03-02-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Should I try and measure 12V directly out of the ECU?
    Yes. Try to find where it's losing +12V power and check for the pulsing ground from the ECU.

OK, something is definitely wrong. I think my ECU is shot.

Any recommendations on a new TBI system that can auto tune? I saw the 2 barrel Avenger, but $2k...OUCH!
    Danny, what do you think I should do? I want a worry free system but maybe not $2k? Was hoping to max at $1k.

Regards, Dale

OK, something is definitely wrong. I think my ECU is shot.
    Judging from the (fried) burnt components in the pictures, I'd have to agree.

I saw the 2 barrel Avenger, but $2k...OUCH!
    Which engine is this, and is it stock or modified?

I want a worry free system but maybe not $2k? Was hoping to max at $1k.
    An antiquated Pro-Jection 2D isn't exactly a "worry free" EFI system.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Which engine is this, and is it stock or modified?
    I'm not sure. I know my pops had it rebuilt, but don't know if he put on a big bore kit or anything. I know the Pontiac Catalina came in different flavors in 1960, so hopefully I can figure out what engine it is. I know he was great with cars and hoping the 2 bbl Pro-Jection 2D he bought 15 years ago would have been sized right, so maybe we can go off that.

An antiquated Pro-Jection 2D isn't exactly a "worry free" EFI system.
    Well, my Dad bought the Pro-Jection 2D 15+ years ago. Not sure what they had for options then, but I definitely want to up my hand on this part of the car. I'm just not sure where to start. A bit overwhelmed with all the systems out there. I'll try and find out the engine that came with it stock. Hopefully the stamp is still on the block. This dang snow storm coming to the eat coast doesn't help much either.

Thanks much, DK

Determine what engine it is, and we'll continue from there. You'll need to know this anyway (since you now own the vehicle).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast