Thread: Fuel System Questions

Default Fuel System Questions

Hi, new to the forums and thought I would throw out my first post. I have a new stock fuel tank, sending unit assembly and Bosch fuel pump for a 1991 Camaro with 5.7L engine and these will be going into my 1982 Camaro with a 406. The car has the stock fuel return lines but I will still need to get the regulator and fuel filters to complete the system. I'm planning on the Terminator EFI for this car and was hoping the parts I have will be OK to use for this setup? I also will need to wire up the fuel pump since my car originally came with a carb, so I will need to do that. I also want to wire in an OE inertia type switch for safety.

Any other advice or suggestions? I downloaded the instruction manual and have doing a lot reading as well reading the forums here to learn as much as I can before get started on this project. I have been wanting to step up to fuel injection for a while now and the offerings by Holley and others makes it a good time to do so. My car uses a Summit 3 wire distributor and I use a high performance canister type coil; no HEI on this car and no MSD controller of any kind. I do have a separate rev limiter to keep from being too stupid with the car. The engine uses a Trick Flow roller camshaft with .563/574" lift with 230°/234° duration @ .050" and 110° LSA. I use Dart Pro 1 aluminum 200cc heads with and 64cc and an Air-Gap style intake. Enough info for some suggestions? Thanks for any help and ideas as I prepare to step up to EFI.

Quote Originally Posted by Chetter'sZ View Post
    I'm planning on the Terminator EFI for this car and was hoping the parts I have will be OK to use for this setup?
    That will be fine, with the proper fuel pressure regulator & filters (Link).

My car uses a Summit 3-wire distributor and I use a high performance canister type coil; no HEI on this car and no MSD controller of any kind.
    Is this a GM small cap computer controlled distributor?
    If not, I highly suggest it for ECU controlled timing.
    No ECU timing control is really half an EFI system.

I do have a separate rev limiter to keep from being too stupid with the car.
    All of Holley's EFI systems have a built-in, programmable Rev Limiter.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Is this a GM small cap computer controlled distributor?
    If not, I highly suggest it for ECU controlled timing.
    No ECU timing control is really half an EFI system.

All of Holley's EFI systems have a built-in, programmable Rev Limiter.
    No, it's just a basic electronic distributor, no computer controls.
    My initial timing is set at 16° and a total of 36°. Engine runs best there with no detonation.
    So I can remove my current rev control unit, and use the Holley Rev Limiter...cool.
    Last edited by Chetter'sZ; 02-06-2014 at 03:59 PM.

My initial timing is set at 16° and a total of 36°. Engine runs best there with no detonation.
    LOL! ECU controlled timing is a lot more sophisticated than that.

Install (download) the Holley EFI V2 Software, and look at the
    Base Timing Tables in the base calibrations ("Open Global Folder").
    http://www.holley.com/TechService/Li...#FuelInjection (Holley EFI V2 Software)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK, if I was to change out my distributor for the small cap GM HEI, what should I use for a coil? What else would I need to make the switch? I was checking and I can get the distributor new, for about $70.00 from RockAuto. Not sure about the coil though. Can I still use a canister type or what would work? Thanks for your input.

OK, if I was to change out my distributor for the small cap GM HEI, what should I use for a coil?
    The same inductive coil that application uses. Maybe buy it from RockAuto too.

What else would I need to make the switch?
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/558-304 (GM HEI Ignition Adapter)
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10653rev10.pdf (Terminator EFI Manual - Pages 12 & 13)