Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ignition Decisions with Dominator EFI

Quote Originally Posted by centrifuge View Post
    Maybe it doesn't matter anyway, just more resolution, but in reality, big HP stuff runs off the MSD 4X so...
    Correct. If the engine can flex the crankshaft or spins super high RPM, the 4x crank trigger should be used (with Holley's 554-118 Hall-Effect crank sensor).

Looking at the EFI connection cam signal, I assume this is a good quality piece that can run 8500 RPM without problem and maintain a good signal? No limit in RPM is listed on the site (that I saw).
    Yes: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5476#post45476 (Racing Testimonials)
    Also, the camshaft/distributor spins at half the speed of the crankshaft, and a distributorless unit carries less weight.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

You'd have to call EFI Connection about that.
    I would guess so, since the camshaft/distributor spins at half the speed of the crankshaft, and a distributorless unit carries less weight.
    I will give them a call. Since I'm not real familiar with the company, and I'm not in the LS world, would you say EFI connection has good reputation?

So here is how I see it, the most simple way to do this, with what I'm working with is:
    Wire the Dominator to the coils, use these coils (link).
    Use the EFI Connection crank sync in the distributor slot (link).
    Swap the standard VR sensor being used in the MSD 4X slot with this (link).

Am I missing anything? I want a robust system with good stable signals from the crank and cam, will this get me there?

I will give them a call. Since I'm not real familiar with the company, and I'm not in the LS world, would you say EFI connection has good reputation?
    I've only heard good things about them, and Holley EFI endorses the use of their cam sync unit (in their instruction manuals).
    They no longer sell the billet version of their cam sync unit, due to problems (Link). Their current cam sync unit is fine.
    UPDATE: EFI Connection is now selling a better version of their previous billet cam sync unit:
    https://www.eficonnection.com/home/p...nc-distributor (EFI Connection 120-00054 Billet 1x Cam Sync Unit)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5476#post45476 (EFI Connection Cam Sync Racing/RPM Testimonials)

Am I missing anything? I want a robust system with good stable signals from the crank and cam, will this get me there?
    You've got it right. Read this post for the required CNP wire harnesses:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....4567#post44567 (Holley CNP Wire Harnesses)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

You've got it right. Read this post for the required CNP wire harnesses:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....4567#post44567 (Holley CNP Wire Harnesses)
    OK I looked at the harness document...I have the unterminated main harness, so this looks to me like more work than just wiring straight into the connectors that come with the CNP plug???

I'm struggling a bit with understanding the documentation method. It seems to me that there is no real master manual for the Dominator, just a variety of different manuals. I understand this because some parts crossover to the HP etc, but it seems that there is no real location of all the documents that is easily understood. For example some is here, while others are here but you have to know the PN, since there is no real description.

In all of that, it also seems that there is more info in the help files (in the software) that seems to be undocumented in pdf etc. But maybe I am missing something. If so let me know.

OK I looked at the harness document...I have the unterminated main harness, so this looks to me like more work than just wiring straight into the connectors that come with the CNP plug???
    You won't even need those CNP coil connectors with the 558-307 CNP main harness and the 558-312 CNP coil sub-harness.
    These two ignition harnesses make using the 556-112 CNP coils practically "plug & play"; only nine wires connect to the ECU.

In all of that, it also seems that there is more info in the help files (in the software) that seems to be undocumented in pdf etc. But maybe I am missing something. If so let me know.
    The Dominator EFI components are all sold separately, so there isn't a comprehensive user manual.
    The software's Help Menu covers the general topics, and the PDF files cover specific product usage.
    http://documents.holley.com/efi_sele...chart62914.pdf (HP & Dominator Component Selection Guide)
    https://www.holley.com/document/cata...ley_efi_20.pdf (New Holley EFI Catalog - See page 22-25 for Selection Guide)
    There are some catalog misprints:
    Page 11, 554-200 should be 557-200.
    Page 16, 558-301 & 558-302 don't exist.
    Page 17, 558-130 should be 558-312.
    Page 23, 558-130 should be 558-312.

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    ‒ Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...10555rev16.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)

Software & Firmware Versions:
    Software: click "Help" tab (top toolbar) & "About Holley EFI".
    Firmware: click "Sync With ECU" & "Get ECU Info" (Key-on/USB connected).
    The latest software & firmware can be downloaded here:
    https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection (Holley EFI Technical Library)
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...9r10546rev.pdf (HP & Dominator Quick Start Guide)
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...g_firmware.pdf (How To Update ECU Firmware)
    Before updating firmware, ensure the current Global Folder is saved somewhere, since it will be erased from the ECU.

Latest V2 EFI Software & ECU Firmware:
    The latest V2 software can be downloaded here: https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection
    Read the 199R10632rev5 PDF document for a "V2 Software Update Overview" (in "Holley EFI V2 Instructions").
    Be sure to successfully install the new V2 software, before installing the ECU firmware (read "V2 Update Instructions").
    Ensure the Holley EFI software is not open and the ECU is not powered on/connected when installing the new software.

Thanks for the info on the documentation, I was missing one key link.
    I did not find the pdf for START-UP & TUNING MANUAL FOR EXPERIENCED USERS 199R10539, does that exist?

You won't even need those CNP coil connectors with the 558-307 CNP main harness and the 558-312 CNP coil sub-harness.
    These two ignition harnesses make using the 556-112 CNP coils practically "plug & play"; only nine wires connect to the ECU.
    I think I will just wire the coils into the main harness. 3 of the 4 wires should be able to be combined in some fashion so that just leaves the signal wires. The main harness I have is unterminated anyway. Looking at the diagram, it should be able to be done. Is there any fundamental problem with doing this, that I should be aware of?

I did not find the pdf for START-UP & TUNING MANUAL FOR EXPERIENCED USERS 199R10539, does that exist?
    I don't think that one exists in PDF format. You'll have to read it in the EFI software "Help" Contents.

Looking at the diagram, it should be able to be done. Is there any fundamental problem with doing this, that I should be aware of?
    As long as you wire it according to the instructions, there shouldn't be any problems.

I spoke with EFI connection today about the cam sync sensor. I asked about using this on engines with upwards of 7000+ RPM. He said that he had no data on the unit turning it that fast, and that the unit was supported by bushings not ball bearings. He could not say yes or no, to if the unit would hold up to the conditions.

Thanks for the info on the documentation, I was missing one key link.
    If you happen to have Microsoft OneNote, you can click on the topic in the Help Contents and print to file and it will print it to OneNote.
    I tried other utilities like PrimoPDF and it will print the document but without any of the graphics or pictures. One Note is the only thing I have found to work.
    Tom

Thanks for the tip FuelieNova.

So if EFI connection cannot verify if the cam sync distributor will run high rpm, what's my next best option?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast