Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Avenger TBI Injector Spray Irregularity

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I don't understand...did you mean to type "so I couldn't drive it"?
    Did enriching the AFR improve things, or make matters worse?
    Bit of bad punctuation late at night, sorry.

Well, that's what the majority of this thread was about (until we started discussing the tune).
    I've also tried re-routing the loom, in the hope I could eliminate noise that might have caused this.

If it's tuning related, then it was never really "dialed in".
    No, that is true. But it had been given time to Learn to run to the Target AFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Did enriching the AFR improve things, or make matters worse?
    I really need a straight answer to this question.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

3. Default

Yes it did. No doubt about it.

How much richer an AFR would I be sensibly be able to use in low load/cruise?

Quote Originally Posted by robertodonnell View Post
    How much richer an AFR would I be sensibly be able to use in low load/cruise?
    Read pages 4-10 of this Edelbrock EFI tuning manual, it's very good:
    https://edelbrock-files-v1.s3.amazon...ers-manual.pdf
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

5. Default

I have found the fault with the system. The fuel pump had given up.
    It was able to hold stable pressure for a while, but then it would fail to control the fuel at 21 psi.

About 2 years ago, I swapped out the fuel pump pre-filter, and this weekend I found it; it was full of foreign material, like it had been nested in by a wasp or the like. I assume that the contamination made it's way into the pump, and slowly destroyed it over time. It pays to check everything is clean before you install it, even if it is new!

With a used Bosch pump from a Commodore installed, I'm up and running fine.
    There are some issues at about 4000 RPM, but I'll deal with that in due course.

Thanks for all your help Danny, I've learned a lot over the course of this thread.
    Regards, Robert O'Donnell

I have found the fault with the system. The fuel pump had given up. It was able to hold stable pressure for a while, but then it would fail to control the fuel at 21 psi.
    I'm very glad to read you found the problem. This is why Holley now sells fuel system kits (Link).
    For the record, my first four posts of this thread were in reference to fuel system pressure & plumbing.

7. Default

It was all Holley supplied fuel system hardware, so I was pretty confident at the time that it was OK. After some input from you on the fuel side of things (and lots of thinking), I decided to pursue it further with a better gauge and plumbing. So you could say that your first words weren't lost on me!

Cheers, Robert

After some input from you on the fuel side of things (and lots of thinking), I decided to pursue it further with a better gauge and plumbing.
    Congratulations! I know you feel great about resolving this problem.
    440roadrunner can take some credit here too, for post #10.

9. Default

True, kudos to 440roadrunner too.

I actually feel great about the car again too. I was at the point of throwing it in, but I'm back on the horse again!

My next steps involve fuel and ignition tuning, but I'll leave that for a new thread in the HP forums.
    Let's put this one to bed now, it's been up for a long time.

In the meantime, I'll do some extensive reading in the Edelbrock manual you've posted.

Cheers, Robert

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345