Thread: Can't Connect To C950

Exclamation Can't Connect To C950

I have a 950 Pro setup TBI with the race upgrade on my '68 Camaro.
    I used it several years ago and was able to program and drive etc. No problems.
    I got busy and parked the car for several years, now the PC will not talk to the ECU?

Not sure what happened?

** The car starts and runs, so the ECU must be getting power and alive.

** The PC serial cable works fine talking to other hardware, so I know it's fine.

I'm setup on Com 1, and have tried every speed from 300 to 128000.
    I have also tried unchecking FIFO buffer, and swapping the TX and RX leads.

The serial LED blinks when I select Retrieve ECU data. So I see the request is going out, but it times out and says ECU not powered up. Blah Blah (But the car runs.)

Is there a way to reset the ECU com-settings to factory?
    And if so, what is the factory Baud Rate?

FYI:
    XP SP3
    COM1
    8,N,1 no handshake

Software version 3.0.7
    What the heck went wrong now!
    I am not sure how sitting in my garage makes the RS232 not work?

Thanks for the help.

I never had any problem using the C950 with Windows XP.
    Maybe the C950 software program is corrupted.
    Have you tried a fresh software download? Download it here:
    https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection (Commander 950 Software)
    Also, have you tried running the program as an administrator?

Check to ensure that your software version is compatible with your firmware version: 3.xx = 3.xx
    Click on the About & Version tab (with the key-on) to find your current software & firmware versions.

Try without an AC car adapter, disconnecting background hardware, wireless/internet card removed, Bluetooth, etc...
    Also, ensure you don't have other software/programs running in the background (iPhone, iPad, sync updaters, etc.)

Are you using a Serial-to-USB adapter that came with software? I used the Innovate Motorsports #3733 USB-to-Serial Adapter (software included) with my C950 Pro & LC-1 wideband without any problems:
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...cat=250&page=3

The Innovate Motorsports USB-to-Serial cable is two feet long. It's actually a Sewell USB-to-Serial cable (not even repackaged) and can be purchased from SewellDirect.com for half the price you'd pay at InnovateMotorsports.com. (Sewell also makes a six foot long USB cable):
    http://sewelldirect.com/usbtoserial.asp

TIP: If purchasing this adapter cable, be sure to follow the instructions to the letter. There's a specific order of downloading the software and initially plugging the cable in. If not followed correctly, it won't assign a 'comm port' and you'll have to do it manually in the 'Device Manager'.
    http://www.msdignition.com/softdwn.htm (Read "Tech Tip - USB Connections". For Vista but maybe Windows XP has similar issues?)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Q: Have you tried a fresh software download?
    A: Yes, The only version there is 3.0.7.

Where can I find the older versions?
    I had floppy disks but I have not had a floppy drive in years.

FYI: I sent this unit to Holley ages ago to get the race update.
    Does that use different software?

Q: Check to ensure that your software version is compatible with your firmware version: 3.xx = 3.xx
    Click on the About & Version tab (with the key-on) to find your current software & firmware versions.
    A: Software is 3.0.7 but I am not sure how to check the ECU if it does not respond...

Q: USB-to-Serial?
    A: Yes, same one that worked last time, as well as a second new one.

FYI: I just went to the MSD link and they are selling my USB adapter.

I also checked the device settings and I get a comm port.
    I am unclear what the correct settings are though.
    I have seen this issue before and the stop bit or rate was wrong...

I wanted to verify my cable so I opened it up and the wire colors do not match the manual?
    In the Manual TX is Orange, RX is Yellow, Ground is Black/White.

My cable has red black orange.
    So I went by pin # and it seems correct (Just wrong colors...)

And I'm sure the ECU that's on the car runs...
    Thanks
    Last edited by Randaltb; 01-15-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Did you try each of the 4 COMM ports (software)? Sounds like a laptop issue.
    Some of the early DB9 serial cables were miswired (there was a serial number recall or something of the sort).
    Or you could have a defective communication cable: Holley 534-140.
    Do a continuity test; it uses wires #2, #3 & #5: http://www.efi101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5902
    The above quote is from another Holley forum thread, but visit the forum link for continuity checks.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Hmm,
    - Same cable I used before, so it should still work. (Yes, it passed continuity check.)
    - The adapter works fine with other hardware and worked before. (Same VM.)
    - I tried moving the adapter (in Device Manager) to Comm 1 - 4 and did the same with the software.

Will it hurt to unplug everything and try it with power +, Switched Power and Ground only?
    Or do I need sensors hooked up to prevent ECU damage?

I'm starting to wondering if there is a short in the harness or a dead sensor that is screwing it up?

** But hit the key and it runs...

Quote Originally Posted by Randaltb View Post
    Will it hurt to unplug everything and try it with power +, Switched Power and Ground only?
    Or do I need sensors hooked up to prevent ECU damage?
    You can check ECU connectivity with the sensors unplugged.

I have two upgraded (Pro) Commander ECUs. I bought mine used, and made the serial cable from here:
    http://www.efi101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5902
    http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2223/holleyecu.jpg
    http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/3...cpicholley.gif

My serial cable is actually a whacked-off serial cable from a Sharp organizer. It had a mini phone plug on the opposite end, originally.
    Here's what I would do..."Assume" that the USB adapter is the problem. If possible, get on CL or the local thrift stores and round up an old XP laptop with a real serial port and try that.

Also, you used to be able to buy inline serial connectors which had built in LEDs to test serial connections.
    I would offer, if you want to insure it and ship it to me, and pay shipping return, (I'm in N Idaho) to hook it up to a known working system and try it for you.
    All you need "on the bench" to read the system is ground and power to the ECU and of course the serial cable, the software, and computer.

Cool Serial Issue Solved

Thanks guys, I got it!
    It was a pin in the female connector.
    The continuity test was good all the way from ECU to the female D-sub.
    But the TX was spread out a bit to much and was not making good contact with the PC.

So I chopped off the end and soldered on a new female and poof there it is!
    Thanks again Guys.