Thread: Need Input - Commander 950 Setup

Default Need Input - Commander 950 Setup

I got my hands on a Commander 950 complete setup. It's the multi-port injection setup for a big block Chevy that I believe is the marine computer since it is blue and not black. I have a 489 BBC stroker motor in the works that is going into my performance boat and I'm debating if this setup will be ideal for me. I have read everything I can find on this setup, which is not much unfortunately, but I have read about the WBO2 sensor upgrade which I believe is a must if I do decide to use this. I have read that if I can get a base tune and get it to start it will more or less tune itself and then I can tweak it.
    Question 1: is this setup worth using assuming I do the WBO2 upgrade?
    Question 2: is the O2 sensor really going to make this fairly painless?
    Question 3: what size of injectors are ideal? I will post the build below.
    Question 4: will my Acer notebook with Windows 7 run the software?
    I really like the concept of this setup and I would rather tinker on a laptop than swap jets and check plugs all the time.
    I have high hopes and don't want to set myself up for a huge headache.

Gen 6 454 block
    Crane 731 cam, Lift: .587''/.610'' duration: 288°/298° with 114° LSA
    Edelbrock 6155 rectangle port heads with
    Scat 9000 4.25 crank
    Pistons are not bought yet but it will be at 10-1.

Quote Originally Posted by regalman4925 View Post
    I have read everything I can find on this setup, which is not much unfortunately, but I have read about the WBO2 sensor upgrade which I believe is a must if I do decide to use this.
    Yes, a wideband O2 sensor kit is a necessity to effectively tune any EFI system:
    http://www.holley.com/types/Commande...rade%20Kit.asp (Holley's C950 WBO2 Sensor Kit)

I have read that if I can get a base tune and get it to start it will more or less tune itself and then I can tweak it.
    This particular (older) EFI system doesn't have self-tuning capability.
    Only the new Holley EFI systems do (Avenger, HP & Dominator EFI).

Question 1: is this setup worth using assuming I do the WBO2 upgrade?
    It depends on your level of experience tuning aftermarket EFI.

Question 2: is the O2 sensor really going to make this fairly painless?
    No, this particular (older) system requires you to know how to tune EFI.

Question 3: what size of injectors are ideal? I will post the build below.
    How much horsepower will your engine produce?

Question 4: will my Acer notebook with Windows 7 run the software?
    The C950 EFI software is not compatible with Windows 7.
    http://www.holley.com/TechService/Li...#FuelInjection (Scroll down to "Commander 950")
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.