Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning Help with Dominator EFI

Default Tuning Help with Dominator EFI

Just installed Holley Dominator ECU on my (streetcar) SBC 671 blower Enderle hat (BDS 8 nozzle 60 lb injector kit, one hole blocked on hat). Steve Morris custom cam. Anyone willing to help me using TeamViewer, to get basics on tune, so I can at least drive it around. I have it running, but having issues (idles too high). Call Daryl @ 1-205-368-2338 to discuss, too much to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by DFW View Post
    I have it running, but having issues (idles too high).
    Adjust the idle speed screw on throttle body, to achieve an IAC Position of about 3% at hot idle.
    Remember to perform another TPS AutoSet, whenever you adjust the idle speed screw on the throttle body.

FYI: You can't use a naturally aspirated base calibration for a forced induction engine.
    This is because the 2 bar MAP sensor selection only changes the kPa load Y-axis, but not the Base Fuel Table lb/hr
    values (creating an excessively lean map) or the Base Timing Table degree values (excessively advanced timing map).
    You must choose a 2 bar base calibration or reconfigure your existing Global Folder's Fuel & Timing Tables accordingly.

The "302 Ford Turbo", "555 BBC Turbo" and "350-383ci Supercharged 14psi" are all 2 bar base calibrations.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I used the 350-383 supercharged 14 psi base and 2 bar calibration. Ryan @ SMRE helped at startup, checked everything and tuned thru TeamViewer. I'm lost and would like for someone to look at everything as it sits, to see if something was missed. It idles @ 1750-1800 now. I have not changed anything since the first startup or re-cranked since. I would like to drive it some before taking to a dyno if possible. Or get close for self-tuning to at least work enough. I'm lost on EFI!

It idles @ 1750-1800 now. I have not changed anything since the first startup or re-cranked since.
    Did it ever idle well? If so, what RPM did it idle at? Ensure you don't have a vacuum leak anywhere.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Sorry Danny, I have not had a chance to look at it again. I will this week. Idle 1700-1800 RPM.
    Last edited by DFW; 01-13-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Hard to crank, spins over a lot, then runs for a few seconds. Then when trying to keep running giving it a little throttle it backfires thru the Enderle hat and dies. Once warm it idles high 1700 rpm. Pops & backfires once throttle is moved. I'm completely lost!

I'm completely lost!
    You'll need help setting this up and with tuning it.
    In Alabama, these shops are highly recommended:
    http://www.culverautospecialties.com/
    http://www.quillenmotorsports.com/

Thanks, going to the dyno Monday. Hope to get figured out enough for Learning to take over. At least then, I'll make small changes from there.

Back to drawing board! Just got a small cap HEI, harness adapter and going to get rid of MSD #8555 because it would not control timing. Engine is at TDC now with distributor out. Do I just drop in at TDC, install wires then sync timing with ECU?

Just got a small cap HEI, harness adapter and going to get rid of MSD #8555 because it would not control timing.
    Yes, the MSD 8555 magnetic pickup distributor can't control timing. You and/or SMRE should've known that.

Excerpt from Holley EFI manual:
    NOTE - It is not advised to use a magnetic pickup distributor to directly feed the magnetic trigger input of the ECU. If the
    magnetic pickup distributor is connected to the ECU via the inductive pickup trigger wires, the pickup/rotor/cap phasing
    must be corrected. This operation may require a phaseable cap or rotor or possibly machining to the distributor and is
    therefore beyond the scope of most users. Even with the phasing corrected, the electrical noise inside the cap
    (due to the high voltage cap & rotor terminals) may be strong enough to cause electrical noise interference.
    It is advised to use a crank trigger system or a computer-controlled distributor.

Engine is at TDC now with distributor out. Do I just drop in at TDC, install wires then sync timing with ECU?
    If installing or replacing the distributor, follow the vehicle/engine factory service manual instructions.
    GM computer controlled HEI: Link - Scroll down to "Installing the Distributor".
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ing-Holley-EFI (Timing Synchronization)
    Don't forget to change the Ignition Parameters in the EFI software (10° Ignition Reference Angle).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast