Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB Cable?

Default USB Cable?

I just wanted to know if any common store bought USB cable (with the proper ends) will be suitable for use when connecting the ECU to a laptop?

Yup, I'm using one from a 7 year old camera.

The only thing I can add is that the Holley cable has a nut/anchor to help protect it. If you use a generic cable be darn careful that you don't muck up the ECU connector because you cannot fix it, and there's "only one."

You just need a typical mini USB cable from a digital camera/video game system, etc.
    It's a mini-USB on the ECU end, and a standard USB for the laptop end.
    I'm not using Holley's, but theirs is nice because it secures to the ECU case with a threaded retainer.
    I simply wire-tied my USB cable to the main harness (allowing a little slack), so it doesn't vibrate out.

Holley's 558-409 USB cable:
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK. Good to know. Thank you everybody!!

Be careful, though, there is more than one (I don't know how many) of the "mini" connectors. I think I have enough cameras that I've run into at least 3. Once again, the LAST thing you want to do is to muck up that connector.

Yeah, I made sure to match up the connector. I went to Best Buy, they didn't have jack. And what they did have wasn't cheap. Not that I'm looking to skimp but to just buy an extension for $30, no thanks. I ended up giving Staples a shot. Walked in and in 5 minutes found the proper ended cable 6' length one piece, $20. Done!!! Now I just need to wait for my new laptop battery to get here. Thanks again.

Holley's USB cable is nice because it secures to the ECU case with a threaded retainer.
    If using a general USB cable, wire-tie it to the main harness (allowing a little slack), so it doesn't vibrate out.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I use this, it works well:
    Mouser #172-PX0441/3M00
    Manufacturer #PX0441/3M00

This may be and old thread, but I just ordered one that I think will work from Amazon for $17.54: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...02UTKBMA&psc=1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast