Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Up & running but with startup issues.

I was just looking at the software. I was bumping up my Main Over-Rev and noticed all the other Rev Limiters (#1 & #2).
    I opened up the help page and looked into the inputs/outputs. So I'm guessing these functions can be used as a launch control, correct?
    I started by enabling the Rev Limit #1 and setting my RPM to 3400 (3500 converter), but I'm unsure of Rev Limit "Type".
    Next, I went to the Input/Outputs screen, and saw that the Rev Limit #1 is enabled under the system output.

I figured out the proper pin placement, but I'm unsure of the '12V' or 'Ground' choice.
    I'm figuring the 'Ground', seeing as how the circuit is grounded through the T-Brake solenoid.
    So if all that is correct, then all I will be doing is making a wire from the harness plug
    (in my case J1-A12), and connecting it to the 12V side of the T-Brake switch. Sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by ehkohler View Post
    So I'm guessing these functions can be used as a launch control, correct?
    Yes. It's ECU controlled timing...the ECU controls all timing functions.

I figured out the proper pin placement, but I'm unsure of the '12V' or 'Ground' choice.
    I'm figuring the 'Ground', seeing as how the circuit is grounded through the T-Brake solenoid.
    +12V or Ground input, whatever will be activating this Rev Limiter.

So if all that is correct, then all I will be doing is making a wire from the harness plug
    (in my case J1-A12), and connecting it to the 12V side of the T-Brake switch. Sound right?
    I'm confused about whether you want a Launch Retard or a Rev Limiter, while on the transbrake?
    The Launch Retard is in Timing Retards (Basic I/O), and the Rev Limiters are in Ignition Parameters.

You'll also need a relay to isolate the transbrake amperage from the ECU Input:
    http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...0#post14458050 (Relay/Circuit Protection)

You'll need to create a custom Input (I/O ICF), so the ECU knows when you're on the transbrake.
    Create a custom Input (I/O ICF), Name it, select Type (+12V or Ground) and Enable it.
    It must be Pin-Mapped to an available ECU connector input pin; click "View Inputs" on the Pin Map.
    Then click & drag it to an available input pin. Now you can run this wire to the isolation relay.

To connect up to 4 Inputs & Outputs to the EFI main harness, use I/O Auxiliary Harness 558-400.
    Eight Wire I/O Auxiliary Harness Connector Pin-Out (also in the Holley EFI Wiring Manual):
    Pin A...A12...White/Blue (Input #1)
    Pin B...A3...White/Red (Input #2)
    Pin C...A13...White/Black (Input #3)
    Pin D...A4...White/Green (Input #4)
    Pin E...B12...Gray/Yellow (Output #1)
    Pin F...B11...Gray/Red (Output #2)
    Pin G...B10...Gray/Black (Output #3)
    Pin H...B3...Gray/Green (Output #4)

If the I/O menu icon (ICF) isn't already uploaded (added) to the top Toolbar, follow these instructions:
    (This same procedure applies to all the various Individual Configuration menu icons/items.)
    The "I/O" function is an "Individual Configuration" of the Holley EFI software.
    At top of screen, Click "Toolbox" and "Add Individual Config".
    At top of new window, select "Individual Configuration Library".
    At bottom of new window, select "Holley EFI Inputs/Outputs Config".
    Select "I/O" and open "Base Config - Blank.io".
    The "I/O" icon will then be present at top of screen.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Essentially what I'm looking for, is a Two-Step. The way the MSD box is setup, it's only limiting rpm when activating the switch (I assume anyway). So to answer your question, I would say I want a rev limiter while on the transbrake.

OK, so starting from scratch. I just added the I/O menu icon. I named the Input and Pin Mapped it. Now what's going to make the EFI know this Input is for a Rev Limiter? Can't I just enable Rev Limit #1 in Ignition Parameters and Pin Map it, and that will be the same difference?

Now for the wiring and relay. The way I'm interpreting this is to run a +12V source to my transbrake button. Then coming off the button, I would connect to both the ECU and the 12V switched terminal on the relay, so they would see power simultaneously. Then wire the rest of the relay as normal. Does that sound right to you? I just want to make sure so I don't end up damaging anything.

Essentially what I'm looking for, is a Two-Step.
    Yes, a 2-Step Rev Limiter...you should've stated that from the start.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....iter-Functions (2-Step Rev Limiter)

OK, so starting from scratch. I just added the I/O menu icon. I named the Input and Pin Mapped it.
    Now that I know we're configuring a 2-Step Rev Limiter, you don't need a custom Input.

Now what's going to make the EFI know this Input is for a Rev Limiter?
    When you Enable Rev Limiter #1 or #2, the software automatically creates the Input (waiting to be Pin Mapped).

Can't I just enable Rev Limit #1 in Ignition Parameters and Pin Map it, and that will be the same difference?
    Yes, now that I know we're configuring a 2-Step Rev Limiter, you don't need a custom Input.

Now for the wiring and relay.
    Whatever activates your transbrake (+12V or Ground), will also activate the 2-Step Rev Limiter #1 or #2.
    However, this wire needs to energize the relay's coil terminal, not directly feed the ECU Rev Limiter Input itself (isolation).
    The relay's coil terminals: #86 +12V, #85 Ground. The Rev Limiters can be +12V or Ground activated (Inputs/Outputs in System ICF).
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

See, that's whats got me kinda confused. Just to clarify and help me understand. Is there a continuous signal coming from the ECU? Having it go to the switch would interrupt the signal. So when pressing the transbrake button (switch), it will complete the signal therefore activating the transbrake solenoid. Is this correct? (Yes, this is how I would like the circuit to work.) Also, with all that being said, I should select +12V as my activation? Thanks again Danny.

See, that's whats got me kinda confused. Just to clarify and help me understand.
    I'm getting confused too, because you stated you knew how it's setup in the software.
    Do you want a 2-Step Rev Limiter while on the transbrake?

Is there a continuous signal coming from the ECU?
    The 2-Step Rev Limiter is an Input, not an Output.

Also, with all that being said, I should select +12V as my activation?
    That depends on what's determined next; see below.

So when pressing the transbrake button (switch), it will complete the signal therefore activating the transbrake solenoid. Is this correct?
    Yes, but how does that activate the 2-Step Rev Limiter? If a 2-Step Rev Limiter is what you want, read below.

There's a much easier way of doing this:
    Simply wire the transbrake according to the manufacturer's instructions, with a second wire off the switch, to the relay/ECU.
    The transbrake activation, will also activate the 2-Step Rev Limiter, BUT this is where the isolation relay is required. (Read link in post #152.)
    The pushbutton switch wire activates the transbrake and the 2-Step Rev Limiter (ECU Input), but with an isolation relay in between the switch & ECU.
    The 2-Step Rev Limiter input wire (from relay terminal #87) can be a ground, because the transbrake +12V activation is energizing relay coil terminal #86.
    Relay terminal #30 provides the ground (for relay contact terminal #87), and relay terminal #85 is still the relay coil ground. Simple circuit/protection.

Yeah, I was OK with the enabling part of the software, as far as setting it up.
    But I was unclear, up till now, as to how the Rev Limit actually functioned.

So how about this? Is this what you're describing? By doing it this way, +12V would be my activation, right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	303 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	740

Yeah, I was OK with the enabling part of the software, as far as setting it up.
    But I was unclear, up till now, as to how the Rev Limit actually functioned.
    The 2-Step Rev Limiter is an Input, not an Output (as you had it before).

So how about this? Is this what you're describing?
    Yes!
    (I deleted the previous four 2-Step/Rev Limiter posts, so it won't confuse anyone else.)

By doing it this way, +12V would be my activation, right?
    If you're referring to the ECU Rev Limiter, no. It's a ground activation, due to relay terminals #30 & #87 being ground.

OK, very good. Thanks again for your patience Danny!!! Now I have something to do today.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516