Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Up & running but with startup issues.

Default Up & running but with startup issues.

Well the good news is I got it all hooked up and started. Bad news is that it doesn't seem happy. On startup after being heated up, the engine requires a lot of cranking. It also requires me to apply some to the gas pedal to open the throttle blades. I set the target idle, my TPS was successful. The IAC required me to back off the idle screw and now is between 2/3-7%. The TPS is still 0. My AFR is about 13.2 @ idle. I fluctuated the rpm as instructed and did the same in drive (it's an automatic) to help it learn. When I shift into gear it stalls. This is another area that when starting it requires excessive cranking and applying throttle. All the while even with the AFR reading low 13s there is a lot if heavy fumes. I've read the other 'start up' thread and am wondering if the secondaries need to be adjusted. My distributor is an MSD Pro Billet with no vacuum advance. The timing is set at 15°. Any thoughts?

Oh, and no. I have not driven it in the road yet due to crappy weather.
    Also. Now that I backed off and adjusted the idle screw. Do I need to do another TPS AutoSet? Thanks -Ed

Another question. What are the base factory settings on the throttle blade screws? Like one turn out?

Also, what about the air cleaner? Can the system Learn without it on? I mean not indefinitely but to set the idle screw. It's a pain to get to the screws with it on. Not only that but also when running at the track. I've always had carbs and the first thing I'd do at the track is pull the air cleaner. Is that gonna mess with the program, it writes itself or will the ECU be able to adjust accordingly?

Quote Originally Posted by ehkohler View Post
    My distributor is an MSD Pro Billet with no vacuum advance. The timing is set at 15°. Any thoughts?
    What engine is this and what size camshaft (duration @ .050")? Is it still 15° with the vehicle in gear?

Also. Now that I backed off and adjusted the idle screw. Do I need to do another TPS AutoSet? Thanks -Ed
    Yes, perform another TPS AutoSet.

Also, what about the air cleaner? Can the system Learn without it on?
    Yes, it Learns the same with the air cleaner off. You can also make adjustments with it off.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK. so I went out and did another reset. After doing so my IAC was way off at like 38%. I ran the primary screw in and the reading went down and once I got it within the 2-10% the TPS went to 1%. So should I maybe be looking at the secondary screw? (Are there base factory settings for these screws?)

As for the engine and cam. It's a Ford 351 Cleveland with a Weiand X-celerator intake, full MSD ignition, 1-3/4" headers with 3" exhaust, and the cam is a Comp Cams Magnum 292 with 244 @ .050 with .560 lift. I selected the street/strip setting for the cam in the setup wizard.

The timing is staying at a solid 15° at idle. It's an MSD Pro Billet distributor with NO vacuum advance only mechanical advance. And yeah that's in gear.

Again the thing was running very rich. Now the AFR reading was about 12.4/12.2 and it still needs excessive cranking to start it.
    (When cold it wants to fire right away but it cuts out immediately after it starts.)

When I initially fired it up and backed out the secondary screw to get the proper IAC value the ECU started to Learn. It started to read the temp sensor consistently and I went through the rev cycle to get it to familiarize itself with the off idle to 2500 rpm range. I also put the trans in gear and after it stalling out many times I got it to eventually Learn that too. But revving the motor any higher than 2500 rpm it ran rough and stumbled a lot.

Now that I did the TPS AutoSet, it seems I'm back to square one. Should I have saved the initial settings? Because I didn't.

Scroll down to "IAC Notes" & "Initial Baseline Idle Speed Screw Setting":
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....neral-IAC-Info (IAC Info)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK. So I got back to it and I think I got some stuff sorted out. I read the link you provided. I ended up creating new baseline settings by taping off the IAC and setting the idle screws. Now the IAC values are within the 2-10% range. They fluctuate from 3-8%.

However, I am still having the startup issues. The motor does not fire unless I give it some throttle. When it does it runs seriously rough until the system takes over. When it does it will hold it at a high rpm till the AFR cleans up. It also stalls every time I put it in gear. Is this something that will clear up one it Learns more? Thanks, Ed

At initial startup mine had none of these problems. I have done plenty of tuning to improve how it runs but I could have backed it out of the garage and went for a ride after it had warmed up. My guess is something may be amiss in the Engine Parameters. Other than mine controlling the timing our setups are similar (418W XE294H), perhaps seeing my Global Folder would be helpful. I'd be glad to look at yours, either way, I've never emailed mine but it can't be that hard.

It seems that on cold start up it wants to fire but cuts out right away. Once I get it running and it warms up its not too bad. If I bump the throttle before I put it in gear it won't stall. It will idle when in gear as well. I can give it some gas and it will rev in gear. Weather has been less than favorable here in Jersey. I'm hoping tomorrow I can pull it out. It drove OK when it was carbureted. It just seems to me its experiencing a Learning quirk. Not too sure. The timing has stayed consistent. The IAC & TPS checks out good and more the AFR is at about 12.9-13.2. As of now I'm kinda chalking the hard starting and stalling issues up to the fact it hasn't fully 'Learned'. I'm still curious as to Danny's opinion and thoughts.
    What is the 'Global Folder' you are referring to? And thank you for your input!

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast