Weiand 144 & NOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weiand 144 & NOS

I have a 383 SBC stroker 8.5-1 with a Weiand 144 with 8 psi of boost, and 150 shot on top. Looking for info on running Weiand 144 with NOS. Currently have MSD 6AL & MSD Boost Master pulling timing 1 starting at 3 psi. My question is how much timing to pull when spraying? Do I double up & pull timing for boost plus timing for NOS, or is pulling timing for boost cover both? Also, timing is locked out at 32.

Wet nitrous? Are you going add more fuel as well?

Pulling too much timing to combat detonation will kill potential performance gains. I would research an appropriate amount of fuel to inject with the nitrous in order to keep as much timing in the engine as possible. The nitrous would allow for a richer fuel mix and burn it better. If you are just injecting nitrous, you will end up needing to pull way too much timing leading to burnt exhaust valves. 8 psi puts your effective compression ratio at the 13:1 range which is about the best pump gas can do. Add in nitrous, now your in race gas territory and potential lean condition, which as you know on a blower engine spells death pretty quickly.

My 142 blower on my 383 peaks a 7 psi, I'm 2.4 overdrive. 16,800 RPM. I have been looking at nitrous as a means to keep things cool. That or water/meth. When I was doing my math, 100 shot was the max I could safely use, but it had to be wet, otherwise I had to pull too much timing out. I calculated about an extra degree per pound of boost on top of the 1 I already needed just for the blower. 7 psi, that 14. Or a total of 20 max timing. I didn't want to go that low as my exhaust temps would run very hot. So I passed on nitrous until my budget can support doing it right. I went to EFI instead, hoping to gain better tuning ability. I am a step closer as the EFI unit I have can control nitrous.

Comment

Working...
    X