Coolant sensor issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant sensor issues?

I’m using a Dakota Digital temperature sensor. I’m having an issue with the engine getting hot based on the temperature gauge per the ECU. It’s an LS3 with a Terminator kit. The sensor is in the drivers side head. It gets up to temp fairly fast. Probably less than five minutes at idle it’s up over 200F. Both fans are running and it got up to 230F, so I shut it down. I opened the radiator and the coolant was at the cap, but no boil. It’s a little hot, but not 230F hot. Is the temperature sensor not compatible? Should I try a Holley branded sensor?

Yes, install the Terminator X CTS (Holley 534-10). Which Holley EFI system part number do you have?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232-244 duration/.623" lift/114 LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM C6 converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

Holley 550-933. So the coolant temp sensor is not compatible? I was thinking it was possible it was sending a different reading.
      Was it supposed to come with a sensor, because none were in the box.

Comment

Holley EFI 550-933​ Terminator X Max - Gen IV 4.8L/5.3L/6.0L GM Truck Engines & LS2/LS3. Only sensor is the WBO2 sensor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	34.5 KB ID:	367528
        '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232-244 duration/.623" lift/114 LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM C6 converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

So the Dakota Digital sensor is likely not compatible? I just ordered Holley 534-10. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

Comment

Chevy111: How long has this thing been running? It actually sounds like you have a big air pocket in the block and the thermostat is not opening. This is pretty common with LSx engines and new installations. I've found that using a funnel that attaches to the radiator tends to be the best way to get all the air out.

When the temperature sensor gets to 230F, is the upper radiator hot to the touch? I mean so hot that you can't hold your hand on it for more than a second. Is the lower hose almost as hot, or is it just warm, as in you can keep your hand on it easily for 10 seconds? If the upper hose is scalding hot and the lower hose is barely warm, the thermostat is not opening. Andrew
            Instagram: @projectgattago
            Offering remote Holley EFI tuning.
            I deliver what EFI promises.
            Please get in touch if I can be of service.

Comment

It’s pretty much all new and I’m just getting it started. The LS3 has about 2500 miles on it so it is broke in for the most part. The upper part of the radiator is not all that hot. I haven’t felt the lower part. There’s no boiling, etc. I can literally touch the coolant and not be burned. I did pressurize the system with an air filler to get the air out, but it may not be cleared. I even took off the steam vent at the top of the head until coolant came out. I know these engines have issues with air in the system, so I tried to be proactive on that front.

I’m almost sure when I first was looking through the handheld the temperature gauge was over a hundred while the engine was cold. It’s no more than 75F in my shop as it's climate controlled. I really think it’s the sensor not being compatible. I’ll check the temperature tomorrow when it’s cold and see what it says. I’m hoping it’s that simple, but I can easily change the thermostat if needed.
              Last edited by chevy111; 11-21-2022, 11:54 PM.

Comment

chevy111: When you're looking at it again next time, compare the MAT with the CTS after the engine has sat overnight. They should match within a couple of degrees before you start the engine. If they don't, you have an issue. Andrew

Comment

CTS is 117F and MAT is 67F so definitely the sensor. I should have the new sensor in the next few days and get it fixed. Can I use a GM sensor or does it have to be Holley?
                  Last edited by chevy111; 11-22-2022, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Yes: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...898#post227898 (Holley Sniper EFI Replacement CTS)​

Comment

chevy111: If you have a LS3, just get a stock LS3 CTS. Andrew

Comment

Got it. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Popped in a new sensor today and all good. It even idles better now. I think it was doing a warm start based on the CTS and cutting idle. Now it idles perfect. All in all, this has been a pretty good experience. I haven’t had many issues. This is number two and the other was me hooking up the red wire wrong on the Drive-By-Wire cable causing it to not to open the throttle body. I'd say considering I’ve never done this I’m feeling pretty good about it. It’s in a '72 Blazer with a 4L80E adapted to the 205 transfer case.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out. Email me if I can be of service with the tuning: projectgattago at gmail dot com. Andrew

Comment

Working...
                            X