Help setting up the speed input.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help setting up the speed input.

I have a Terminator X Stealth 4500 on my 540 cube BBC.
    I'm going to use the Dakota Digital dash VSS output 2000 PPM signal.
    Will this feed work with Terminator X Digital Speed/Freq Input?
    Also, what's the field "Pulses To Average"?
    Pulses "PPROT"? (Is that 1 rotation of the wheel?)
    Can anyone tell me what starting figure I need in the pulses field with 3.7 ratio diff and 28" tire with a 2000 PPM signal in​?
    Last edited by inabox; 10-06-2022, 06:08 AM.

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ...This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    ‒ Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_199r10544.pdf (Holley EFI Help/Instructions Overview)
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...r10546rev1.pdf (Holley EFI Quick Start Guide)
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual & Diagrams)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps #1-#6!)
    Open the Holley EFI software "Help" Contents ("Help" drop down menu), and read "Step-By-Step Beginners Tuning".
    Ensure the EFI software is set to run as an "Administrator" (right click for Properties/Advanced). Set it and forget it.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio Ford AOD, 10" 3000 RPM C6 billet converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

OK. Can you tell me what "Pulses To Average" means? And is PPROT in the pulses field pulse per rotation of the wheel?

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	365805​​
      Attached Files
      Last edited by inabox; 10-06-2022, 06:09 AM.

Comment

inabox: Let's back up a little bit. How is the Dakota Digital getting the speed signal for the speedometer? Andrew
        Instagram: @projectgattago
        Offering remote Holley EFI tuning.
        I deliver what EFI promises.
        Please get in touch if I can be of service.

Comment

Originally posted by inabox View Post
          OK. Can you tell me what "Pulses To Average" means? And is PPROT in the pulses field pulse per rotation of the wheel?
          Read post # 2 above.
          '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio Ford AOD, 10" 3000 RPM C6 billet converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewb70 View Post
            inabox: Let's back up a little bit. How is the Dakota Digital getting the speed signal for the speedometer? Andrew
            OK, thanks for the help Andrew. The Dakota Digital dash has a speed sensor the screws onto the gearbox same as the old cable setup and you calibrate to get correct speed. The Dakota Digital unit also has an output function that sends a 2000 PPM or 4000 PPM signal to (as I understand it) an ECU for wheel speed input.

Comment

I literally just went though this with a customer this morning. Whatever signal the DD box generates is not compatible with the speed input type on a Terminator X. What I would do is wire the speed sensor output from the transmission, as a speed input to the ECU. Then I would use the Dakota Digital Holley BIM module to transmit the speed and other sensor information from the ECU, over CAN Bus to the Dakota Digital gauges. Shoot me an email if I can help with all this and also help with the tuning. projectgattago at gmail dot som. Andrew

Comment

Hi Andrew. This seems to be a pretty popular topic, as I was helping someone out with this very same thing last night. wouldn't be a bit surprised if he is the one you talked to this morning. Ha, ha. I'm a little confused about your comment above. Although I haven't exhaustively researched that Digital Dakota SGI-100BT device I was led to believe it would take his T56 VSS output and convert it to a 8000 Pulses Per Mile pulse train. This pulse train would very in frequency based on speed (0-200 MPH ---> 2.22 Hz-444 Hz). So I was just going to take that 8000 PPM signal out of the Digital Dakota box into a Terminator X input (not a Max) and create a custom frequency vs speed calibration table as shown in the attached. Any thoughts? Am I way off base here?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-11-19 153149.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	367389

Comment

Try it. This is something I haven't tried. What we did today was try a number of different settings for reluctor wheel count and ran the car on jack stands. I was simply looking to see if I could get ANYTHING to register on that input, and we couldn't, which leads me to believe the Holley is simply not picking the the signal that the Digital Dakota box is putting out. Doing it how I described earlier will work for you 100%. I've done it many times with numerous customers. Andrew

Comment

The Dakota Digital speed output is just a square wave, similar to what a Hall-Effect VSS would produce. However, there may need to be a pull-up resistor used on the signal, since the Output may not have a positive voltage component to the signal, and the Terminator X Input may not have a pull-up on it either.

Comment

I've asked Dakota Digital about doing this before. I haven't been able to try it though. Here's their reply:
                      "The SPEED OUT does generate a square wave. The Holley lead must have a 5V to 12V reference voltage on that lead for it to work. If the Holley doesn't have a carry voltage, you can add on with a simple 10K Ohm resistor. One lead to share in the ignition terminal and share with the Holley wire in SPEED OUT."​
                      1970 K/5 Blazer 2wd, 350/700-R4, soon to have Sniper EFI, Bagged Suspension

Comment

If that's the case, you can use the Power Tap for the 5% reference and add a pull-up resistor. I still think feeding the ECU with the speed signal and then using the BIM module is a better solution. Andrew

Comment

https://forums.holley.com/showthread...776#post263776 (Power Tap Connector, Terminals & Information)​​

Comment

Originally posted by andrewb70 View Post
                            If that's the case, you can use the Power Tap for the 5% reference and add a pull-up resistor. I still think feeding the ECU with the speed signal and then using the BIM module is a better solution. Andrew
                            Why? It's overcomplicating the situation and costs a LOT more than a 10 cent resistor. In my experience the simple solutions are usually the best and most reliable.

Comment

Working...
                            X