Giving up on Terminator EFI.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving up on Terminator EFI.

Hello everybody. I'm hoping somebody will be able to provide some help for what I've been experiencing with my Terminator EFI setup.
    I inherited a truck with this setup on it from my grandfather and have never been able to get it running right. It bogs down under acceleration and then will spike lean randomly. Half the time it dies as I go to put it into gear and nothing I do seems to fix the issues. I've updated the firmware, loaded different base tunes, replaced the MAP sensor, replaced the WBO2 sensor, checked all the wiring, and verified fuel pressure.
    I've read through a bunch of different posts here on the forum with various issues related to mine and none of them have worked for me. I'm about to give up and go back to a carburetor unless somebody can give me an indicator as to what I'm doing wrong. I appreciate any help that somebody can provide for me!

Forum members will want to see your Global File and a datalog of this occurrence. This is a copy & paste from one of my other posts:

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    For further assistance, post your Config File and a short datalog of this occurrence for us to analyze.
    Also, review the datalog and inform us of exactly where in the datalog (time/seconds) the problem occurs.
    Datalog & Global Files can be linked to a document hosting website. I use Dropbox.com.
    Files can also be "zipped" (compressed zipped folder) & attached directly to a forum post ("Go Advanced" & "Attachments").
    Your Config File is in the "Documents", "Holley" folder, "Terminator X" folder, "Global Files" folder (.hefi file).
    Your Datalogs are in the "Documents", "Holley" folder, "Terminator X" folder, "Data Logs" folder (.dl file).
    Someone will analyze/troubleshoot the problem & offer advice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHOtDNiTNA (How To Record & Email A Datalog)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232-244 duration/.623" lift/114 LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM C6 converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

ericf.patriot: It's hard to help without knowing details. What kind of engine does the truck have? Is this a Terminator throttle body system? Is it setup to control the timing? Has the Static Timing Set check been performed to make sure that it is synchronized? Andrew
      Instagram: @projectgattago
      Offering remote Holley EFI tuning.
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

Comment

Hey Andrew, the engine is a mild 383 build with a 480”/.480” Lift, 212/222 duration @ .050” camshaft and makes around 380 HP.
        It is a Terminator throttle body system 550-405.I did have it setup to control timing at one time and went through the whole synchronization as outlined on this forum, but I suspected that may have been causing an issue so I swapped a regular HEI distributor in its place to rule out any sort of timing concerns. I did change it back to "Coil (no timing control" when I switched the distributor out as well. Sadly it made no change

Danny, I'm working on attaching a couple of datalogs that I had taken when it was having the issue I was explaining above. One of a full throttle run and the other is at idle when the AFR was spiking lean. I hope what I've attached will be able to provide you with enough information. HEFI Logs and config file.zip
        Attached Files

Comment

Are you at high elevation? You're using V4 when the newest version is V6. You may want to consider having someone remote tune it for you. My guess, your problems are in your Base Fuel Table.

Comment

Yeah, I'm at 6,500 in Colorado Springs. I had originally updated it from V2 and noticed no change when I went to V4 so I figured it wasn't the EFI software. I don't believe in having somebody tune it for me because I was sold on the lie that this system would self-tune and be better than a carburetor. This forum is filled with examples proving that isn't entirely true. This shouldn't be more complicated than tuning a carburetor.

Comment

Remember, the only thing this EFI system self-tunes, is the Base Fuel Table, via the Learn Table.
              You're responsible for everything else, especially the Target A/F Ratio Table & the Base Timing Table.
              A dynamometer is the only real way to determine the optimum ignition timing for your performance engine.
              Most people research it, or just "know" what their engine needs or likes. Especially if it's a popular engine.​
              Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
              The Target Air/Fuel Ratio Table & Base Fuel/Timing Table (and MAP kPa & RPM axes/scales) should be configured using the Terminator X EFI software: In the Terminator X EFI software (LINK), Target Air/Fuel Ratio Table (Fuel ICF) & Base Timing Table (Spark ICF), select "2D Table" Type (not "Simple"). The Target Air/Fuel Ratio Table & Base Timing Table can then be properly configured & tuned for any engine. I always suggest taking notes of your current distributor's ignition timing specs/curves beforehand, and then program the Base Timing Table accordingly.
              https://www.holley.com/support/fuel_...r_x_and_x_max/ (Terminator X EFI Software & Holley 558-443 CAN/USB Dongle)
              https://forums.holley.com/showthread...679#post100679 (Holley Sniper & Terminator X EFI Optional Comm/Data Cable Accessories)
              https://www.efisystempro.com/efi-pro...timing-control (EFISystemPro.com - ECU Timing Control, From Simple To 2D Table)
              '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232-244 duration/.623" lift/114 LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM C6 converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

I've actually read that post before and I have the engine setup exactly the way the engine builder describes. They gave me the initial and max timing curves along with the A/F Ratio. Even with all of this set in place, it will not run properly. I've scoured this forum for the past three months and nothing that I've tried on here has helped. Which is why I decided to create my own post. There has to be something that's been overlooked and I don't want to keep throwing money at it hoping something will fix it. I've heard that this model wasn't the best from Holley fuel injection and I'm wondering if I got a lemon.

Comment

I doubt you have a lemon, what you have is a bad Base Fuel Table, probably an incorrect Target AFR table, incorrect Closed Loop settings, poor MAP kPa scale, etc. I get the desire to tune it yourself, if this is what you want you'll need to learn how to read what your datalogs are telling you. From a quick look at your datalog, I can tell you that when you go to WOT it's going into an area of the Base Fuel Table that is way too lean, so it stumbles, then the Closed Loop kicks in and adds way too much fuel and makes it rich and it floods itself. Part of the problem is because of the high elevation, you're not going to the area of the Base Fuel Table that most of us use for WOT. To be honest, I haven't met many engine builders that are good tuners.

Comment

How could all of that be so bad when I let Holley select all of those options to begin with? The base calibration should get it close enough and then I should need minor tweaking from there to get it dialed in. The problem is that no matter what settings I choose, it never gets any better. I've started from scratch I don't know how many times and I've used settings that people have suggested from this forum. After months of messing with it, something should've worked. I've even offset the entire Base Fuel Table by 21% to account for less oxygen at my elevation with no success. Something should have made this truck drivable by now.

Comment

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps # 1-# 6)​

Furthermore, if you want someone to help you with a GCF (Global Configuration File) consultation, or by means of a remote tuning session (after installation), I'd contact Andrew B. @projectgattago, Chris Myer at EFISystemPro.com or Richard Nedbal (FastManEFI) at EFIExpert.com.​

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Cabral View Post
                        http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Steps # 1-# 6)​

Furthermore, if you want someone to help you with a GCF (Global Configuration File) consultation, or by means of a remote tuning session (after installation), I'd contact Andrew B. @projectgattago, Chris Myer at EFISystemPro.com or Richard Nedbal (FastManEFI) at EFIExpert.com.​
                        I've done these steps about half a dozen times. I'll go over it once more and see if there's anything I might have overlooked. I guess that's the definition of insanity right?

I'm not using a computer controlled distributor, so there's no need to synchronize anything there, correct?

Comment

Since this isn't an ECU timing controlled application, simply ignore all timing related EFI parameters (and disable Idle Spark control - Idle ICF). The TSLCD will always display the ignition timing, even if it's not an ECU timing controlled application. The TSLCD gauges can be customized/changed/deleted, etc. If this is an ECU controlled timing application, ensure the ignition timing is synchronized (LINK).​

Comment

ericf.patriot: You still want to check the timing and make sure that you have about 15 initial, with the vacuum disconnected. Andrew
                            Instagram: @projectgattago
                            Offering remote Holley EFI tuning.
                            I deliver what EFI promises.
                            Please get in touch if I can be of service.

Comment

Well I'm officially convinced that I have a lemon (even though you guys don't believe that's possible) or something is seriously wrong with this thing. I spent four hours today following every single step of that guide and checking over the entire system and engine. I verified timing, fuel pressure, replaced spark plugs, Ohms tested injectors and plug wires, checked every single sensor. Everything looks and should function just fine. I let it get up to operating temperature so it could Learn and after about ten minutes of driving, I encounter the same issues. Terrible bog under heavy acceleration or even when just climbing a hill. There's a local shop around here that works with Holley, so I figure I'll see what they say. In my ten years of being a mechanic, I've never been so stumped. Switching to a modern carburetor is starting to sound better & better as time goes on. If anybody can provide any actual help, I'll appreciate it, but doing the same things I've been doing from the beginning isn't going to fix this.
                              Last edited by ericf.patriot; 11-22-2022, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X