Dead injector on Sniper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead injector on Sniper.

Well, the front passenger side barrel has zero fuel flowing. Any ideas on how to fix this without sending the unit in? The car is my daily driver. Thank you! Rob

Contact Holley Tech Service (LINK).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio Ford AOD, 10" 3000 RPM C6 billet converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

Same thing happened to me. No way to fix it without swapping it out (had to send mine in).

Comment

Does anyone know the number of the injector? There has to be a way getting one and replacing it yourself.

Comment

No sir: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...umber&p=106798

Comment

Saw a thread on a Sniper EFI Facebook page where a guy was claiming to have used a Bosch injector successfully as replacement. Although, he didn't give much if any details about it.

Comment

I did a bunch of searching online and if I recall correctly, the largest OEM injectors I could find were 60 lbs/hr. The Holley injectors in the Sniper are 100 lbs/hr. In the Sniper EFI software, you can specify the injectors capacity, so if someone only needs 60 lbs/hr injectors it might be possible to set it up to run the OEM ones. All conjecture, of course. It would be much simpler if Holley would just sell the replacement parts. And I'm also concerned what will happen when the Sniper eventually goes "obsolete".

Comment

Bosch 210, Genuine Bosch 2200 cc/min (210 lb/hr) High Impedance Injectors (Alcohol Compatible)
                This is the injector the guy was talking about using.
                Static Flow Rate @ 101.5 PSI (700 kPa) with Gas: 3350 cc/min = 320 lb/hr.

Comment

I had one dead (pass front) injector, and one barley working (driver front). Sent it back to Holley. Had it back in a week. No charge. I was told that if they were clogged, I would be charged. Two weeks later the rear pass side injector stopped working. The tech at Holley said to me, "The more calls I get about this problem, the more I'm glad I didn't put one on my car." There are two 10 micron filters in the supply line, one being one foot away from the TBI, added after the first injector failure, so zero chance of contamination in the fuel. Holley, admitting they have an injector problem, told me to return the entire kit to the retailer for a warranty replacement. I'm tempted to get a refund and go to another system. We were planing on taking this auto, a '67 Ford Country Sedan wagon with a 390 across the country & back, pulling a antique camper, but the reliability issues here are scaring me out of the Sniper fast! We love they way it runs when it does work, my wife says give it another chance, but she doesn't have to fix it when it breaks. BTW, mine came with the rubber transfer hose and without the Earls -6AN plugs on the front fuel inlets, small Allen head button type plugs instead. Also came in a plain white box. Holley is obviously cutting corners on the Sniper.
                  If it's broke, I can fix it. If it ain't broke, I can break it.

Comment

Looking at some posts here and on the Sniper Facebook page, it seemed possible that just maybe, the injector had become unplugged. That WAS the case. The Sniper does not use a typical EV1 type connector on the injectors, probably due to space restrictions, the connector (plug) is rubber, and only latches to the injector on one side. The flex in the rubber allows the other side to lift up off of its pin. In my opinion, this should be a recall. There are a lot of folks having this problem, and Holley's solution of returning the TBI for repair is not acceptable to the daily drivers, some of whom this has happened to more than once. Also, having an injector or two die at a bad time, could put you in a precarious situation, I shudder to think. Holley please take note. This is a serious, potentially deadly problem.
                    Last edited by Skillet; 10-14-2018, 12:06 PM.
                    If it's broke, I can fix it. If it ain't broke, I can break it.

Comment

I agree, Sniper owners shouldn't have to go through this. However, knowing what's wrong is half the battle. If you're mechanically inclined, I'd fix it myself. I'm sure I could find a way to maintain connectivity on those fuel injectors.
                      '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio Ford AOD, 10" 3000 RPM C6 billet converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Skillet View Post
                        Looking at some posts here and on the Sniper Facebook page, it seemed possible that just maybe, the injector had become unplugged. That WAS the case. The Sniper does not use a typical EV1 type connector on the injectors, probably due to space restrictions, the connector (plug) is rubber, and only latches to the injector on one side. The flex in the rubber allows the other side to lift up off of its pin. In my opinion, this should be a recall. There are a lot of folks having this problem, and Holley's solution of returning the TBI for repair is not acceptable to the daily drivers, some of whom this has happened to more than once. Also, having an injector or two die at a bad time, could put you in a precarious situation, I shudder to think. Holley please take note. This is a serious, potentially deadly problem.
                        This is exactly what happened to mine. It looks like the rubber/plastic wire connector on the injector became deformed over time and disconnected itself. I found this out as my last shot at troubleshooting by changing connections to injectors, to confirm it was the injector and not the injector-driver/ECU.

I swapped connections and all injectors fired, swapped them back to normal and they all fired. Confirming that it was the connection. I did my best to clean the electrical connections, route the wires to not stress the connection, and used tiny zip ties to secure the connector to the injector. So far so good.

So it looks like it wasn't the injector after all, but I did learn that Holley isn't supplying all replacement parts for these units, which was a valuable lesson. I'm still "chaffed" the support tech told me that the cost of the Sniper "is peanuts" ($1300 is not peanuts to me) when I balked at sending the unit in for a part. To me that implies Holley thinks "we get what we deserve" when it comes to the cost of repairs. I would've paid twice the cost for a reliable system that had all parts and future support available.

Not to hammer Holley about their Sniper. I love the system, it looks great, runs great, has awesome features. The tech support here is awesome. But I've had to do entirely too much troubleshooting. (Injector/connector issue. IAC & TPS have gone bad. WBO2 sensor and temp sensors have worn out. And the throttle blades were sticking, so I needed to pull it and adjust the blades. Throttle blades whistling too. I think that's all...oops, fuel pressure regulator was bad also).

Means a lot that Danny admitted there might be an issue. First time I've heard Holley admit to anything other than the fuel pressure regulator issue. Well at least we're all here to help each other out and solve these problems. BIG shout-out to Chris Myer at EFISystemPro.com He is always willing to help out and is a great source for replacement parts too. Thanks Chris.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	connectors.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	338580

Comment

Pretty much sums up my feelings exactly Brian. I wonder if the Terminator had any of these growing pains. Let's just hope Holley does good by the early adopters, and provides us a couple extra years on the warranty.

Comment

Parts availability would be a good start too.

Comment

Originally posted by schweigert View Post
                              I wonder if the Terminator had any of these growing pains.
                              No, the Terminator is basically an HP EFI system. The HP & Dominator EFI systems are rock solid. Of course, they're also more expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X