HP EFI Dwell Settings Possibly Overheating MSD SS Blaster Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP EFI Dwell Settings Possibly Overheating MSD SS Blaster Coils

I've previously posted on here before about my ongoing issue with overheating MSD SS Blaster coils and I'm still having issues with my coils and I just recently burned up the center coil carbon contact in my distributor cap on my Dual Sync. I've been doing a lot of reading and research on the internet and I'm wondering if my HP EFI Dwell Time Settings could Possibly be Overheating and burning out my Coils? My settings are "Points Output Adjustable Dwell" and Dwell Time is 2.0 msec. I just read an article on the web that says engines below 1.5HP per cubic inch, the Dwell Time should be set to 4.0 msec. My engine is 580 HP, should I try and change the Dwell Time to 4.0 msec?

This is my current configuration, all is wired as per MSD installation literature:
    Dart 427 Stroker (580HP)
    Holley HP EFI for my Hilborn ITB
    MSD 6AL 6425.
    MSD Blaster SS Coil 8207
    MSD 2375MSD Pro-Billet Dual Sync EFI Distributor.
    250 amp MechMan Alternator
    Two Odyssey batteries installed in trunk wired in parallel.

My heads are grounded to each other and to the block, the block is grounded directly to the battery with 1 AWG arc welding cable. The block is grounded to the chassis as well and chassis is grounded to the battery. The grounds are solid on my car and not the cause of the overheating coils/cap.

I wired the car with the Infinity Box Intelligent Multiplex system, all wiring is done correctly.

I would really appreciate it if you could look into this for me and let me what could possibly be going on here. If there are any tests that I can do to check resistance in my ignition system or any other diagnostic procedures, please let me know. I’m tied of my car dying on the road and spending in excess of $1500.00 worth of MSD coils, as well as being stranded on the side of the road and really need and appreciate as much advice/suggestions/help that you can provide me. Thanks, Smalliehunter.

https://forums.holley.com/showthread...mp-Burning-Out (Previous Forum Thread)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...3-amp-5-Fouled (Previous Forum Thread)

Originally posted by smalliehunter View Post
    My settings are "Points Output Adjustable Dwell" and Dwell Time is 2.0 msec.
    Yes, that's correct. Read this post #15 for more information: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...000#post244000 (New "Points Output Fixed Duty Cycle (MSD)" Output Setup)

I just read an article on the web that says engines below 1.5HP per cubic inch, the Dwell Time should be set to 4.0 msec. My engine is 580 HP, should I try and change the Dwell Time to 4.0 msec?
    No, that's not for distributor/single coil type ignition systems.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232-244 duration/.623" lift/114 LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM C6 converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

Should I change the setting to "Points Output Fixed Duty Cycle (MSD)", do you think that will solve my ignition overheating issue? I'm thinking it's related to resistance of some type, is there any specific tests I can do to make sure I don't have too much resistance?

What's really weird about this whole issue issue is that I thought I had the coil overheating resolved by installing the Dual Sync distributor, after I originally had all the overheating issues per my June 27-2017 original post. I drove the car for about 3000KM with no issues and just a couple weeks ago the car died just idling. I changed out the coil and got her back home and then it started running really rich for about 30 minutes and then died again, the coil was super hot.

Comment

Originally posted by smalliehunter View Post
        Should I change the setting to "Points Output Fixed Duty Cycle (MSD)",...
        Yes, read the link in post #2.

...do you think that will solve my ignition overheating issue?
        I don't know, I've never heard of such an issue.
        May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
        '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232-244 duration/.623" lift/114 LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM C6 converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

Thanks Danny, Ill change it and see if it makes a difference.

I just started testing my leads and I found a boot on #6 that was melted right through so I may have found the cause of too much resistance, Im changing it out and sleeping it with heat shield, fingers crossed! I always appreciate your quick replies and advice. One more question, if this doesnt address the issue, can you tell me what tests on my ignition to make sure Im getting correct voltage, resistance, etc.

Comment

Working...
          X