1970 Galaxie 500 Compatible In-tank Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 Galaxie 500 Compatible In-tank Fuel Pump

Hello all, been awhile since I’ve been on here. Everything’s running good now, except for the annoying external fuel pump. I’ve been looking for a in-tank fuel pump for 1970 Galaxie 500, but I can’t seem to find the right one. The fuel sending unit is on the side of the tank, and it’s just a different tank than most vehicles. Any suggestions would be great. This is what the sending unit looks like: LILAND GLOBAL SUFD71. Thanks, Maddux.

Simplest quiet solution is some kind of "Fuel Command" system, your mechanical pump feeds a small reservoir containing the high pressure electric EFI pump. My friend's car uses one with an aluminum tank under the hood. It is quiet.

In-tank solutions are some kind of foam reservoir (Phantom) or Holley HydraMat. Both are $$$ and still require some fuel tank modification.

Early EFI fuel tanks had weirs/baffles around the in-tank pump = hard to adapt. Later the EFI pumps were mounted in "buckets" where the return flow maintained enough pump suction volume to make fuel tank sloshing unimportant.

You can make a cheaper solution if you have some skills (and confidence). The Galaxie 500 fuel tank looks pretty deep which is helpful.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	spectra F27F.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	347551
    You could choose a bucket pump and adapt it to your tank, looks like there is lots of room at the far end. They usually have a built-in spring-loaded system to hold the pump & bucket against the bottom of the tank. Some even have a metal mounting flange with holes, a junkyard crawl could be informative.

Comment

Originally posted by Candu SNO View Post
      ...your mechanical pump feeds a small reservoir containing the high pressure electric EFI pump.
      I did this once a long time ago, and I didn't like it (FCC/G-Surge). I removed it.
      If nothing else is retrofit available, one external inline fuel pump works just fine:
      https://forums.holley.com/showthread...011#post210011 (Related Forum Thread)
      May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
      '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crank & rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow T/W 11R 205 CNC comp ported heads, 12:1 comp ratio, 232-244 duration/.623" lift/114 LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI comp ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal dual 12" fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM C6 converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

@Maddux M: Check with Rock Valley: https://www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com/ndex.htm.
        They aren't too far from you and 20 years ago they took a brand new tank that I took to them and did the modifications for an in-tank pump. These days I would have them install one of the modern 6" rings so that you can use a bucket from a SS Camaro or CTSV, or something similar. Look at VaporWerx for inspiration: https://www.vaporworx.com.

Andrew
        Last edited by andrewb70; 06-19-2022, 12:00 PM.
        Instagram: @projectgattago
        Offering remote Holley EFI tuning.
        I deliver what EFI promises.
        Please get in touch if I can be of service.

Comment

Working...
        X