Announcement

Collapse

New Member Forum Registration Trouble

NOTICE: If any new members have trouble registering on the Holley Forum, please email me directly at: d c f 1 5 0 @ c o m c a s t . n e t, and I'll resolve the problem. Please complete a new forum registration again before emailing me, so I can locate your username/account. I'll also need your forum username & email associated with the account, so I can identify it and approve your forum registration immediately. Please allow 12 hours after registering your first forum account before emailing me (I need time to approve it). The forum software deals with an incredible amount of spam every day, and sometimes wrongly deems a legitimate username or email address as spam.
Thank you, Danny Cabral
Holley Forum Administrator
See more
See less

Smooth out speedo signal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smooth out speedo signal?

I'm using a Dakota Digital Holley BIM to get all my needed information from my Dominator ECU. Most everything works really well, except my speedometer. I'm getting a speed reading, but it's very jumpy/not smooth on the gauge. Watching the speed on my laptop from the Dominator EFI, and it's very smooth. I've spoken to Dakota Digital and called Holley Tech, but it wasn't successful. Is there a setting inside the Transmission ICF that needs to be setup to smooth out this issue? Any suggestions?

There are no settings that you can change that effect this. I suggest getting a new VSS sensor. Andrew
    Instagram: @projectgattago
    Offering remote Holley EFI tuning.
    I deliver what EFI promises.
    Please get in touch if I can be of service.

Comment

Originally posted by chade007 View Post
      Watching the speed on my laptop from the Dominator EFI, and it's very smooth.
      Then I wouldn't think it's a Holley EFI problem.
      May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
      '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crank & rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow T/W 11R 205 CNC comp ported heads, 12:1 comp ratio, 232-244 duration/.623" lift/114 LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI comp ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal dual 12" fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM C6 converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

Make sure you use shielded wire for the VSS. Ask me how I know. Shannon

Comment

With it working correct on the laptop, I was assuming the sensor was fine. Just maybe a setting was wrong. I can wire it back to a direct speed on the Dakota Digital, it worked great that way as well. Just was hoping to keep everything through the BIM for a cleaner install.

Worked fine when ran to the Dakota Digital through the I/O setup on ECU. Why would it need shielded now? So how do you know.

I was thinking something going on with the EFI software or a setting. Works great when watching on the laptop, which is hooked into the ECU with the USB cord.

Comment

I had no idea what a "BIM" was so I looked it up. If you read this product description:
            https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....od/prd1105.htm, it sort of indicates that speedometer readings may not be supported on some Holley EFI systems with BIMs produced before certain dates. Although Dominator systems seem to be included.
            The ad also states, "Due to the various factory and modified ECMs, additional data add-ons from Holley may be available such as Vehicle Speed, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure & Boost."

Comment

I've numerous customers using the DD BIM with the Dominator and Terminator X ECU. If the DD instructions are followed, they work as advertised. Andrew
              Instagram: @projectgattago
              Offering remote Holley EFI tuning.
              I deliver what EFI promises.
              Please get in touch if I can be of service.

Comment

I have a Dakota Digital with Holley BIM reading Holley data including VSS from a T56 transmission, all works perfectly. Is your tach reading jumpy too, or just speedometer? Only reason I ask is because these two are quick changing, unlike water temperature, volts, oil pressure, etc., where you might not notice noise or a CAN Bus issue if you had one.

Comment

Tach is working great, only issue is the speedometer. I'm going to go back to the way I originally had it wired and bypass the BIM for now, and see if it works like it used to. I just realized, I did have the transmission rebuilt before I put it back in. Wondering if something was damaged or not installed correct. Thanks for the input.
                  Last edited by chade007; 07-06-2022, 05:52 PM.

Comment

My system is about four years old, and I had read about some things not working. So I was having an issue with oil pressure as well before I realized the speedometer wasn't working correctly. So I reached out to Dakota Digital and they tried to walk me through a fix over the phone. It didn't work, so they did a warranty on it and reprogrammed the unit. When I got it back, plugged it in, everything worked. Just not the speedometer. Kind of crazy. I'm going to wire the speedometer back the way I originally had it. Bypass the BIM for now. Thanks for the input.

Comment

If you have the space for it, maybe run a second VSS off the transmission speedometer cable drive (back to back) so you can provide the DD and HEFI their own dedicated and separate VSS signals? I've used the Auto Meter 5291 on mine (three wire hall effect) that drives both my Auto Meter digital speedometer, and I spliced in the signal wire to a HEFI Input (DIGITALSPEED/FREQ). In my case I'm sharing the one VSS sensor signal.

The 5291 is built to allow pass through of conventional speedometer cable driven speedometer, so it looks like it could easily handle being setup back to back to drive two sensors inline? Not sure it would all work in your case, but figured I'd suggest a possible workaround. Good luck and hope you find a solution.
                      sigpic
                      HP EFI V4, 388cid Stealth Ram, 1000 CFM 58mm throttle body, Holley Dual Sync Distributor. LS Coil Near Plug, 1 bar MAP, 48 lb/hr Holley EFI injectors, 43 psi

Comment

Here's a pic of my Auto Meter 5291 VSS on side of transmission, it comes with little red plastic cap that's removable to attach mechanical cable which I don't need/use. I would expect you could run a second VSS instead if you had to have two different signals. Again, not sure it helps your particular problem, but might give some other idea you hadn't considered.
                        sigpic
                        HP EFI V4, 388cid Stealth Ram, 1000 CFM 58mm throttle body, Holley Dual Sync Distributor. LS Coil Near Plug, 1 bar MAP, 48 lb/hr Holley EFI injectors, 43 psi

Comment

Working...
                        X