V6 Fuel Pump Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 Fuel Pump Issues

So I recently updated to V6 220 Build from V5. Been using V5 with two fuel pumps for last four years. Updated the ECU and got the car to fire. Went to restart and I noticed that the primary pump was not coming on with the ignition. Tried several times, nothing. Just figured the primary pump died after four years. Swapped the two pumps so that the 2nd pump was now main pump. Hit the ignition and still nothing. After checking a bunch of other stuff I reloaded the tune. Then the primary pump starts working. So now I take the car out for a test drive and the 2nd pump is not coming on. I look in the settings and it's set to turn on above 50% TPS, 4500 RPM or 7 PSI. Reload the tune again. Still nothing. Put power direct to the pump and it works. Triggered the relay for that pump and it comes on and builds pressure. The ECU does not appear to be telling the 2nd pump to turn on? Any other suggestions? Tried to load the V5 tune and it said I needed to update to V6. How do I go back to V5 tune to see if that fixes?

Originally posted by steve69ss396 View Post
    Tried to load the V5 tune and it said I needed to update to V6. How do I go back to V5 tune to see if that fixes?
    The EFI (laptop/PC) software, ECU firmware & touchscreen unit must all be version compatible (LINK).​
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crank & rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow T/W 11R 205 CNC comp ported heads, 12:1 comp ratio, 232-244 duration/.623" lift/114 LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI comp ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal dual 12" fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM C6 converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

Yeah, I understand that. Your link just takes me to the EFI software download section of the Holley website. How do I get it to load V5 firmware on the ECU when it already has V6 on it. When I updated to V6 I hit the "Check for Update" under "Help". How do I load a previous version?

Comment

You don't "Check For Updates", you install it by overwriting it.
        http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...rmwarerev1.pdf (How To Update ECU Firmware)
        Before updating firmware, ensure the current Global File is saved somewhere, since it will be erased from the ECU.
        The latest Holley EFI V5 software & firmware can be downloaded HERE.
        The instructions (PDF file) & ECU firmware (.eep file, Firmware folder/Documents) are included in the
        EFI software download. Go to your "Documents", "Holley" folder, "HEFI V5" folder, "Firmware" folder.​
        Successfully install the new V5 EFI software (laptop), before installing the new V5 ECU firmware.
        Ensure the Holley EFI software is not open and the ECU is not powered on/connected when installing the new software.​
        '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crank & rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow T/W 11R 205 CNC comp ported heads, 12:1 comp ratio, 232-244 duration/.623" lift/114 LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI comp ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal dual 12" fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM C6 converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

I misstated. Please disregard loading V6, it's already loaded and was done by a Holley technician while I watched. V6 is on my laptop and in the ECU. That's when I started having fuel pump issues. The technician doesn't think it was the change to V6 because he has tuned 150 vehicles with V6 Build 220 and hasn't had any fuel pump issues. I'm suspicious because the fuel pump issues started with V6 and it happened almost immediately. I unplugged the connectors on the ECU this evening and checked the wires to make sure they were all seated. I didn't find anything unusual and the 2nd pump still won't come on.
          Since my ECU has V6 loaded, how do I load V5 so I can load the old tune to see if my problem goes away?

Comment

Originally posted by steve69ss396 View Post
            Since my ECU has V6 loaded, how do I load V5 so I can load the old tune to see if my problem goes away?
            I fixed post # 4 above.

Comment

Thank you for your help! It turned out to be a bad fuel pump. The car is back to running great with V6.

Comment

Working...
              X