Floating Sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floating Sensors

So I'm getting constant issues with my sensors floating. It's nothing major, but enough to cause and issue. Basically my oil and fuel pressure will read 2-3 psi when they should be 0 psi, my MAP sensor will be reading 103 kPa instead of 98/99 kPa, and my TPS will be reading 2-3% when it should be 0%. This is with both the engine running and with it not on either. I tried unplugging and replugging the TPS sensor and that doesn't fix it. If I unplug and replug either the fuel or the oil sensor by Holley it fixes the issue before over time (within a few minutes, sometimes hours) the issue comes back. I have replaced both of those sensors numerous times, but the issue always eventually comes back. The reason I notice it once the TPS starts reading 3% my IAC idle control stops working and I notice ECU not trying to maintain correct idle. If I than unplug and replug the oil or fuel sensor (it doesn't matter which one) it resets it for a while before it starts to creep up again. I would think maybe some RFI somewhere, but with everything off and just the key turned on it still hovers. Any ideas?

My first thought would be something with grounding, although at that point I'd think the condition would come right back right after fixing it with the unplug and replug of the oil or fuel pressure sensor? Maybe a wiring harness issue? Any initial thoughts?

Comment

When my Low Dollar Motorsports oil pressure sensor was acting up it did that too just before it died. Remote mount the sensors away from heat and vibration, or purchase a much more robust sensor and mount according to its instructions.

Comment

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2756#post32756 (Proper Transducer Installation Information)​
        May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
        '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232-244 duration/.623" lift/114 LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM C6 converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. Danny I understand the sensors are best mounted remotely due to the fact that the vibration of the engine causes them to fail prematurely. Is that a typical failure that when one of those sensors is failing it causes all the sensors together too start reading slightly off? Also, I heard that there's a line of sensors that someone is working on in order to address that exact issue of sensors being prone to failure from vibration? Does anyone know or have heard of there are such sensors out there yet that would work with our Holley EFI. I still plan to keep them remote mounted, but anything that addresses vibration sounds like not a bad idea?

Comment

We have no problems with Honeywell PX2 Sensors.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexA View Post
              We have no problems with Honeywell PX2 Sensors.
              Which model number of the PX2 do you use? Did you switch to Honeywell after having issues with the Holley sensors? Or have you always just had trust with the Honeywell? I have tried to do some research on Honeywell and haven't able to find any real data showing if they're anymore vibration resistant or anything, but I'm intrigued to give them a try.

Comment

You can try wiring a Sensor +5V pin directly to an Input (5) pin and create an Input labeled 5 volt data, so you can monitor and/or datalog the actual sensor reference voltage at the time the malfunction occurs. I don’t think this is necessarily the problem, but it will help rule that out.

Comment

Additional Information: https://forums.holley.com/forum/holl...l-pump-voltage (Datalogging Fuel Pump Voltage)
                  May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
                  '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232-244 duration/.623" lift/114 LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM C6 converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

Datasheet: https://prod-edam.honeywell.com/cont...iid-142978.pdf
                    You need 5V Power Supply Types. (Ratiometric Output Types AA or AB)
                    OEM Sensors died. Then we switched to Honeywell.

Comment

AlexA, thank you! Do you use absolute types for your engine air pressure reading, and sealed or vented types for oil & fuel pressure? Or do you use absolute for all?

Also, do you have a good recommended place to source these sensors? They seem to run in the 200-500 dollar range. Outside of typing in the exact part number I need, they don't seem to be too readily available online? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong area or they just run a lot, but I wouldn't mind giving these a go as a comparison. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Engine Air Pressure = Absolute.
                        The Other = Vented Types.
                        Mouser, DigiKey.

Comment

Working...
                        X