No communication with laptop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No communication with laptop.

OK, I've read through the threads about this problem, but nothing has worked. Every time I try to connect my laptop to my ECU it times out, and a "Problem communicating with ECU" message pops up. I've uploaded the EFI program (V6) , checked my USB port, nothing has helped. I think I may have accidently switched the CAN Bus channel 1 to Racepak while trying to setup gauges.Would this cause this problem? Any help would be helpful. Jimmy

Might be a stupid question, but the only time I've gotten that problem is when I forgot to turn on the ignition.

Comment

Yes, the ignition is on. I wish it was something like that.

Comment

Are you sure? Check that the red/white wire in the main harness is getting +12V when you turn the ignition key on. Andrew
        Instagram: @projectgattago
        Offering remote Holley EFI tuning.
        I deliver what EFI promises.
        Please get in touch if I can be of service.

Comment

OK, I'll check, but it won't communicate even with the vehicle running. I can also hear the fuel pump cycle.

Comment

If that's the case, then obviously the ECU is turning on. Make sure that the USB cable is firmly seated in the socket of the ECU. Also, try a different cable. Try a different USB port on the laptop. Andrew

Comment

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
              • Laptop "Online" Communication With ECU:
              Next to the “Toolbox” button, is a button to indicate the following status of ECU/laptop communications.
              Offline: Is shown when the ECU is not powered or the USB cable is not connected.
              USB Link: Is shown when the ECU is powered and USB connectivity is established.
              However, the user has not chosen to select the “Online” mode,
              and the Laptop & ECU are not communicating with each other.
              Changes made at this time on the laptop, are not being updated in the ECU.
              Online: Is shown when the Laptop and ECU are communicating.
              At this point, changes made with the laptop are real-time updated in the ECU.

• "Get From ECU" & "Send To ECU" - ECU Sync window:
              When you connect a laptop and go "Online" with the ECU, you first want to click "Get From ECU". This updates your laptop with the latest ECU "state of tune". If you click "Send To ECU", you overwrite all the Learning the ECU has performed since the last time that laptop was connected (because you're not sending the latest, up to date values to the ECU). The only time you should click "Send To ECU", is if you're just sending a Global File change to the ECU and you haven't driven the vehicle since the last time the laptop was connected.
              May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
              '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232-244 duration/.623" lift/114 LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM C6 converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

OK, so I changed USB cables, changed the port on laptop, uninstalled and reinstalled program and made sure I was connecting to the ECU correctly, nothing has worked. Here are some pics of the screens I'm getting and messages. I did notice that it will say Online, but no data is showing and I get the error communicating with ECU message. Jimmy

Comment

1) Uninstall all previous versions of the Holley USB drivers from your laptop via Add/Remove Programs.
                  2) Uninstall V6 Holley EFI software and reinstall it letting it install only the latest version of USB drivers that it comes with.
                  Sometimes the older V3, 4, 5 versions may get goofy if you've been upgrading over the years, and have multiple versions of the HEFI program installed that each installed the USB drivers multiple times.

Easiest thing to do if available is to simply try, or borrow another LAPTOP and install V6 and give that a try to eliminate the issue may with your laptops USB ports, or configuration.

Last resort (don't do this unless you're confident in your PC skills, and you've confirmed another laptop works fine to communicate with ECU) is to use Device Manager in Windows and remove (uninstall) the USB devices. Then restart the computer, Windows should automatically find and install the USB devices on restart and install the drivers again which may then work.
                  sigpic
                  HP EFI V4, 388cid Stealth Ram, 1000 CFM 58mm throttle body, Holley Dual Sync Distributor. LS Coil Near Plug, 1 bar MAP, 48 lb/hr Holley EFI injectors, 43 psi

Comment

Still nothing.

Comment

Do you possibly have access to another ECU or friend's car with an HP or Dominator installed that you could try to connect your laptop to? I've seen you mentioned trying a lot of things, but not a completely different laptop computer, or different ECU with your laptop to 100% confirm the issue lies with one or the other.

Also you mentioned you can hear fuel pump run at key on prime, but does it time out or run continually with key on? I think the latter (continuous FP prime) is what the ECU does if there's no current Config File loaded, or perhaps the firmware is corrupted in which case I think you'll need to contact Holley for help AFAIK.

Lastly, are you having the same problem whether you use the dedicated USB port and cable on the ECU or with a CAN Bus to USB cable? It sounds like you have experience with these systems, but reading through above it's not clear that you've proven whether it's the laptop or ECU that's the actual problem. I only see you tried new cable, EFI software reinstall and different ports on the same laptop? Sorry if I'm being redundant. Just trying to cover all the bases.
                      sigpic
                      HP EFI V4, 388cid Stealth Ram, 1000 CFM 58mm throttle body, Holley Dual Sync Distributor. LS Coil Near Plug, 1 bar MAP, 48 lb/hr Holley EFI injectors, 43 psi

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuilder View Post
                        Still nothing.
                        Email me. I can try to connect remotely and see what's what. projectgattago at gmail dot com. Andrew

Comment

@383_StealthRam: So I haven't tried another vehicle yet, probably tomorrow. I have a friend coming by hopefully tomorrow to see if his laptop can connect. The fuel pump does it's initial 5 second prime then stops. It's a Dominator ECU, but it's a Terminator kit, so the ECU USB port is not usable, so I'm using the CAN Bus to USB cable.

Comment

OK, took a break and got some other things done on the project. A friend dropped by with his laptop and his wouldn't connect either. Same timed out message that I get. So what's my next step? Jimmy

Comment

At this point, it would appear the issue must be with either the ECU hardware/firmware or the CAN wiring of your harness? You have checked the wiring harness I presume from the CAN connector back to the ECU to rule that out?

You'll probably need to contact Holley for assistance with your ECU, and likely send it in for service. I don't know how you might be able to change the CAN Bus back to Holley from Racepack if you say you might have accidentally changed it. Holley should be able to confirm if that would actually lock you out of the ECU communication, I'm not really sure if it does.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X